Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best F.E.D. chassis builder(Ever)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blindmule, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

Who and why ? I don't know just wondering myself:confused:

2. TERPU

TERPU

3. swimeasy

swimeasy

Scotty Fenn because he built hundreds of chassis and got a lot of folks into rails!

4. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

5. One of the great ones would have to be Charles "Boogie" Scott. He is in the NHRA hall of fame as a builder. He chassis are a work of art.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

X2, I vote Scotty also because he build reliable chassis' that the masses could afford, and because he was an innovator.

But so was Fuller, while us plain folks just thought of a chassis as something to hold the engine and stuff, Fuller saw it in motion, all the torque effects and, most of all, how to design a roll cage that would keep the driver's head much safer than before (that was the problem with Scotty cars, the centrifical force in a roll stretched the belts and the driver's head came outside of the roll bar until Fuller put the bar over the head (well, sort of, some photos of Fuller cars show the driver sort of ahead of the top bar)...still, it saved lives...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. How do you choose? I love them all. Scotty Fenn, Dode Martin & Jim Nelson, Jim Davis, Kent Fuller, John Buttera, Pat Foster... the list goes on.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  8. Brian Fox, he is carrying the torch in modern times! And some quack named Kerry in Kansas! ;)

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

LOGGHE STAMPING COMPANY

They brought dragster building from a black art to a science with manufacturing techniques akin to the Big Three.

10. rick finch

rick finch

11. mickeyc

mickeyc

I still see Boogie at a few local cruise nights driving his hand built aluminum track roadster type T. He drives it from the North shore, across the causeway (24 miles) to Metairie.

12. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

What about Garlits would he be considered just because he only did his own cars:confused: Just wondering! I saw some beautiful cars in his museum not just his but others . How did they do that kinda fab work back then without the tooling available now:eek: Body's on those cars were unreal!

13. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

US Speedsport, because it was my grandpa's shop and he loved his customers.

14. Define BEST .. :confused::confused:

15. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

god bless all of them, or we wouldnt have this topic! but i am kinda partial to scotty.

16. Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  17. Lots of contenders, but I've always thought Woody cars just had a beauty and flow to them that some others lacked.

1 vote for Woody Gilmore...

18. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

[​IMG]

19. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

I don't think you can really answer this objectively. I think you can ask "who is your favorite chassis builder" and get credible answers, but what's the yardstick to define best? You would have to pick a period of time, then tally up what chassis won the most during that time period. Even then, there are a ton of other variables.

For current FED chassis builders, I'm partial to Brian Fox and King chassis, but I've also seen Bruce Dyda's stuff and loved it because his was the first digger I ever saw with all new pipe that met the safety standards and still looked like it was from 1968. Dave Tuttle and Rooman build a good chassis too, even if they aren't as vintage looking as Dyda's or King Chassis.

With the builders from the golden age, I pretty much like 'em all - from Fenn to Dode and Martin, to Fuller, Tuttle Sr., Huzar, Long, and my local guys John Shoemaker and Jim Davis. I'm sure there are plenty of others that I forget.

20. Let me throw in a vote for T-Bar out of Texas......

21. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

OK lets make it non active builders anymore;) The ones now like Roo and Brian now are great don't know of many active ones now. I know some don't like the newer styles I like them all myself. I am building one to bracket race lotsa new looks with some old thrown in also.

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Thanx for the nod, But Don Long is by far the most technicly correct chassie builder out there. A reason for everthing and can explain it to you.
    Being next door to him for all those years i can tell you this---
    On all the cars he built, every tube for the frame was cut and fitted with a hacksaw and just touched up with a belt sander.
    On his later R/E cars he would build the wheelbase at 300.25 because he knew that after welding the car would shrink .250

23. Blindmule

Blindmule
    from Bama

Looks like the FED market was like the RED car market now just think what coulda been done then with the technology today. Some of them were perfectionist back then simply amazing.:eek: