Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new project 1928 Ford with Flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Few more pictures from this weekend installed the wish bones back on after welding the bungs on. Bolted the front axle and installed the front tires. Also cut the bottom of the radiator shell.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

2. Here is another update on my project. I bought a pair of headlight mounting brackets from So Cal. I am also making my front shock mounts. This Saturday my son and I are planning to fabricate the under the cowl braces so hopefully I will have a few more pictures to post on Monday.

Thank
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

3. Looking really good, Frenchy, I still think it needs a 2276 w/ IDAs...lol

4. Flyingtiger77

Flyingtiger77
    from Sac,Ca

Just my .02, I thought it looked better with the Model A grill shell. If you plated it to match your Duval windshield frame I think it would flow nicely. If you look at your mock up pic with the A shell, the point in the middle of the windshield frame and the point in the the shell compliment one another quite well. Everyone runs a 32' grill anyways. Keep up the good work!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. A bit of progress this past weekend added on the right and left side front inner quarter panels braces and this week I will add upper braces between each one of them.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

6. Here a few more from last night these braces will be welded in over the weekend.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

7. OLDTGUY

OLDTGUY

Looks Good, Nice work.
    JJ

8. Thank You I hope to be adding more pictures after this weekend.

Frenchy

9. My son and I did some welding last night and added a few more braces to support the rear cab section to the sub floor. The doors gaps are pretty good but will make some adjustment as we add braces to the sil area and front cowl. So far so good.

Frenchy
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

10. The latest on my project. My son and I added the cross brace under the dash and I was able to locate what will be the top for the dash to fit the contour of the Duval windshield than we will see what will be the dash panel for the gauges.

Thanks.
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

11. bfinch56

bfinch56

I agree, that looks real nice.

12. Here are a few pictures of the progress from the past weekend. I did a pie cut on the rear floor pieces and under the seat as well

Frenchy

Attached Files:

13. Here a bit of progress from this past weekend. I installed the engine and trans to see where I will have to weld the engine mounts and transmission mount. I cut out the main center frame brace to modify it and trim a portion and re install it back. Also I will have to make sure the intake manifold I will be using a dual set up has to be leveled at the base meaning I need to tilt the engine to make it right. See pictures.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  14. Here a few more.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

15. A little more progress from this past weekend. Figured out the location for my engine mounts and the center brace for the transmission mount as well. Next weekend we will be adding various brace across the frame for better support and " Z " the chassis at the rear to set up the rear end and suspension. Here a few pictures to show.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

16. Did some work over the weekend. Made the box plate for the frame as well as making a small plate to cover the original hole on the cross member. Next I will cut the rear section to Z the chassis to fit the rear end with the rear spring. Next week my son is helping me to the welding leave it to the pro.

Thanks

Frenchy

Attached Files:

17. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Very impressive level of attention to detail and thought put into making this a "solid" car - as I'd expect from your VW history. Can't wait to get some more ideas for mine...

And love that front end - I want the whole thing drum to drum as-is!

18. Here are a few update pictures from this past weekend.
    My son helping me out with some of the welding and boxing the chassis with plates I had ground down to fit the chassis. Than we made some angle brackets to add in the center brace to make the chassis a bit stronger. I also cut part of the front brace cut a portion of the lip off which we did not need. I also received my pedal assembly that we will need to see how much room we will have to make them fit by the frame. We have the box plates spot welded in place for now until we have all of the braces in place than we will be welding the plates all along the edge of the frame than grind down the weld to leave a nice rolled edge. Next in the plan is to weld in the bracket for the vega steering box and "Z" the rear of the frame for my 48 Ford F 100 rear end.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  19. Here are some updates on my project. This weekend my son and I will be welding the rear section that was "Z " and also welding the rear wish bones to the rear end than the steering box plate.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Frenchy: Please consider using a '26-'27 T rear spring.
    While still having the 'camel back' hoop, it is much lower, allowing less 'step' in the frame.
    Everything else looks Jake!

Tell Rick Mortensen hi, from 'Uncle Mike' back in the Sacramento VW days. (1969)
    I helped him with his 900 lb. '66 Type 1 with the 92 X 74 engine.

21. Mike

Thanks for your reply my son send me pictures this morning and he has already welded in the frame portion. At last maybe reversing the eye on the main spring.

Frenchy

22. Curious, maybe it just the picture; but the rear spring mounts on the axle look kinda close together.

23. We removed the spring mounts and spread them further out close to the end of the housing it is looking better. I will post pictures next Monday as we are planning to do a lot more to the project in the next three days.

Frenchy

24. Here are my updates from this past weekend. Now we have a rolling chassis next we are going and weld the front shock mounts and the rear as well which will be on the inside. We also welded in the bracket for the Vega steering box. The rear wish bones with the brackets I bought from Industrial Chassis in Phoenix.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

25. Here a few updates on the project. This past weekend we had to do some trimming in the cross member brace to fit my Hurst shifter and the linkage to the transmission also the template is showing the additional plate to go around the shifter area. We also had to extend the shifter plate to the right so it would be positioned in the center of the transmission.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

26. After doing some modifications on the center brace to make the shifter area looking presentable my son did not like the way it look so we decided to cut the original center brace and make our own with a solid piece and making it fit better than the original one. Here are pictures showing cutting it off and grinding all the rivets holding the center brace. Next I will be posting the new brace.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

27. louisb

louisb

Looking good Frenchy but your stuff always does.

Thanks,

--louis

28. Louis

Thanks for the compliments.
    Frenchy

29. I had a friend help me and make my rear upper shock mount. The one on the right is the original one I had and was too short.

Frenchy

Attached Files: