Register now to get rid of these ads!

Denver, CO - where are the 3 stall garages???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looks like I may be moving to the Denver, CO in a few months. Started looking at houses. Where in the hell are the 3 stall garages?! It's like standard issue on newer houses here (built in the last 10 yrs). What am I getting myself into? :rolleyes:

So is there are big car scene there? Are there weekly get togethers I should hit?

Stevie

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I have no idea what you're getting yourself into...Denver used to be known as a cowtown...

Those 3-stalls are all in the newer housing developments...suburbia of course...

Yes, plenty of 'car scene' here, depending on which part of the city you live in...again, mostly surburbia...and yes, weekly (evening) get togethers...and one huge one in Golden (ColoRODo) first Saturday of the month...!!!

R-

3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Up for the morning crowd. Thanks 40StudeDude!

4. I think alot of the newer house come with 3 car garages...but those are going to be in the cookie cutter neighborhoods. It really depends on what part of town you want to live in.

We have plenty of car culture although not a ton of HAMB friendly dedicated events.

Best of luck on the move.

Matt

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

A little pricey in Denver, although the property taxes are a lot cheaper...

6. clarkj

clarkj

Must be something about the Mountain west. I just moved to Laramie, WY from Iowa, and I had a hell of a time even finding a two car garage! I would go so far as to say the majority of the homes here in Laramie don't even have 1 car garages big enough to really park a car in. Just about everybody in Iowa has a 2 car garage and a Morton building out back if space allows. Luckily enough I was able to score a place with a 2 car garage and an acre of land to build on. Garages or not, it is beautiful out here :)

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Even most of the houses built in the 2000's don't have a 3 stall garage. It's going to be tough finding the right house in the right location. I think we will be looking in the Littleton area.

8. clarkj

clarkj

Just a heads up, I met up with a guy in Longmont last weekend that has a bunch of 50-60s Dodge trucks and parts. Not sure if you are in to Mopars like I am, but if not, he also was telling me about a buddy of his with a decent size salvage yard full of all sorts of old stuff of all makes. He told me that more than likely if I needed it, he could get it. The Longmont guy's number is 720-291-2872 and he asks that you don't call before noon. Hope you end up liking the area as much as I have!

9. iroc409

iroc409

In Denver the 3-car houses are few, and they go REALLY fast. We bought south of Denver in March, and it was the perfect time as prices have soared since. I have a 3-car, but they were on the market generally for about a day.

Denver is one of the hottest real estate markets in the country right now. All I can say is good luck, and be ready to move fast. Get a really good agent; we had one and it made all the difference.

ETA: A two-car garage is pretty much standard anymore, unless you're in the $350k+ market. That's pretty much what we found. In our price range, we only found maybe half a dozen houses at the most with a 3-car, and most of them were gone before we could even look at it.

Although, the trend these days is to just use the garage for storage, so it's no wonder people don't need 3 car garages anymore. :)

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

According to a realtor friend, there are only about 7000 houses on the market at this time...not many for an suburban area of 3 million...IF you don't have a realtor yet, I can put you in touch with my friend, who's also a rodder and car guy...PM me if you haven't got a good realtor...

R-

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

www.biggaragehomes.com is one of the best ways to find a house with a 3 car and up in this area that I've found.

12. SOHC427

SOHC427

I grew up in Littleton, (Well, I got older, never really grew up) and rarely saw 3 cars, or decent out buildings, unless you were on the outskirts of town, whlch is now Highlands Ranch.
    Depending on your work location, consider a bit more to the South, as well.
    Eric

13. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

How many threads on the HAMB have been posted about someone buying a new home in the burbs, then bitching about how the Cookieville HOA and code enforcement hassle them? Sounds like a preventable train wreck at this point to me.

14. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm a little more responsible than that. Never had a problem with neighbors...

15. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

When are you going to be in town and I will post a few events?

16. The houses in my neighborhood are all triple garage. I am south east down Parker Road in the Piney Creek subdivision. I am a material supplier to numerous builders, and they have houses all around the metro with 3 car garages. North and west also. But you aren't going to find many at all in Denver proper. FYI, most of the newer subdivisions in the last 10 years have homeowner associations that won't let you keep anything outside. PIA.

Lots of car stuff here. Good people too.

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

We will be in town over Labor Day weekend.

18. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Applebees on west colfax. Must see show on Monday/labror day.

Not exactly "traditional" but a very nice showing of a lot of local rides of all ends of the spectrum

19. snaptwo

snaptwo

X2 with Denver dave ! those HOAs can be murder on a hobbiest as if some local weren't strict enough .My sis lives in Larkspur in a fairly new sub. and the HOA wants nothing parked outside. I admit it makes for a model looking neighborhood and the closed doors policy has a a purpose also. Being mountainous country , there are critters that can and will enter in search of food .

20. Merc cruzer

Merc cruzer
    from Colorado

Stevie:

Hope to see you there at Applebees at Westland. My car will be there...not too many other Yellow 53' Mercs. It is a big show.

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

X2! HOA's can be a real bummer before you get involved with buying a home do a check on the rules.Best bet is locate aways out in a no HOA area.Seems like on our local news there is always complaints regarding them.They are doing something cool here in the Phoenix area there are some new developments catering to car guys with large garage and workshop attachments being advertised.

22. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awww c'mon Dave, you and I both know there are those types of houses with garages in Denver proper...down by the Denver Country Club, on Alameda and University or along Sixth Avenue near Cherry Creek Shopping Center or north of there by Denver's City Park and along Monaco near 17th and ColoRODo Blvd and east of George Washington High School, north of Leetsdale...the "problem" with all those houses is the over 7 figure prices... and of course, most of us that posted on this thread are assuming that Stevie Nash doesn't have that kind of money...we may be wrong...!!! Heaven Forbid...!!!

R-

23. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I live in Parker and I have a 4 car garage.

24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

merc cruzer, stop by and say hi. I'm the ONLY white unibody pickup with GEARHEAD GRAPHICS painted on the doors!
    Probably have my "flag" sticking up out of the bed too

25. Model T1

Model T1

Since so many members bitch about thngs being traditional let's get real. Back in the good ole days traditional rodders had a small one car garage, often with a dirt floor, or a shade tree.

26. Ed,

If my wife wasn't so set on having our kids in the school system that they are in, I would seriously consider going a little farther south to Parker. I think it's a great town that is close ,but not too close. Nice people.

Funny thing about HOA's. I had a friend in a nice community near here. He lived on a cul-de-sac and parked his flatbed trailer in front of the empty lot next door, and the HOA keep threatening him. Finally he had enough and called his lawyer. The lawyer explained to the Homeowners that in Colorado the HOA did not own the street and they better back off or a suit would be pending. They saw the light. My friend did have to move his trailer ever so often to keep the city happy.

I could write a small book about my go arounds with my HOA. I got turned in once for having oil spots on my driveway. Hell, every car I have marks his territory!

27. Steve, if you won the lottery recently, my friend George (GeoKing) has his house on the market. I believe it has something like a 7,000 sq foot garage addition with a full machine shop in it. Room for your motor coach also.

28. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

This is why I want an old fire house, shop on the bottom, loft on the top...thankfully in Tennessee having a garage bigger then your home is common. Best of luck on your search, Denver is a great city!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. rickdc57

rickdc57

I live in far south Denver in an older neighborhood built in the late 50's. Larger lots with room for extra garage space and not much of an issue with building approval. Depending on if you need to commute to work, Parker (S), Westminster (N), Littleton (W) are all nice areas and still have some larger lots. Newer subdiv's in those areas with 3 bay garages. Denver is like a lot of bigger cities and rush hour traffic can be brutal, although not as bad as other places I have lived.

We moved here about 7 years ago. Of the 8 other places we have lived the past 30 years, this by far has been our favorite stop. Great weather most of the year, despite what those that don't live here think our winters are like. I can drive my '31 a lot of the year. Some really good, friendly car folks with a lot of shows and cruises throughout the spring/summer.

Good luck with the move.

30. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awww, why are you telling the world about our weather...??? Let 'em think we're buried in nine feet of snow year round...!!!

PS, I've lived here since 1966...wouldn't live anywhere else...

R-