Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calling all Fresno area HAMBers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

If you've been listening to the local news lately, you've probably heard that Angelo's Drive In is going under the wrecking ball next month, a victim of our wonderful High Speed Rail debacle.

I think their last day is around the 15th. Was wondering if anyone would be interested in a HAMB gathering before its history. There was a meet there 2 or 3 years ago.

Angelo's is one of the last, if not the last old time drive in in Fresno. Don't know if they will rebuild.

Was thinking the Sat or Sun after Labor Day weekend.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I would be interested. Let us know when you put it together.

3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I got to thinking, I believe they're closed on Sundays so maybe Sat the 7th.

This won't be anything formal. Anybody interested just throw out a suggested time and we'll find something that works.

If enough people respond here I may give the owners a heads up. I went there for lunch Mon when they were talking about it on the radio and the place was packed.

Sure gonna miss their fries. I might actually start to lose some weight.

4. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Too bad Eagle Field is so close and Rocky's so busy. Be cool to see the Twin down there. Would you be interested Tim?

5. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

Heard about it too, was thinking of checking it out before it's gone. I would try and make it. Hope you can get some thing together. Are they still open for bussiness?

6. I'd be interested but we have a big event the night before and a little get together that has been planned for the evening of the 7th. Very sad to hear we are losing another drive-in.

7. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I think they're open til the 15th, maybe sooner. I'll try and get by there this afternoon or tomorrow to feel things out.

This'll just be a show up if you can kinda thing.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

high speed elimination of a cool place

9. calendar cleared. let us know about what time and we'll be there.

10. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

What works for everyone? I'd think 11:00. I can't eat burgers and fries too early (urp!).

11. 11:00 am Sat the 7th? I think I could swing that. I'd drive the '58 Effie, maybe the dragster too if Rocky brought the twin.

It amazes me that this whole "High Speed Rail" thing is going through when I haven't met one person who is actually for it. I guess maybe the half a dozen people on Amtrak may use it. That's worth a Billion tax dollars.:rolleyes:

12. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

13. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Damn, Kingdon's on the 7th...... HMMMMMM

14. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Aww c'mon. you need to rest up before Oct, right? Tim said he would if you would :D!

15. Muttley

Muttley

I've lived here since 1986 and have never even heard of Angelo's before reading this thread..........really typical of the Fresno area and just one of the many reasons I'm so vocal about hating this place. For years I've damn near begged and pleaded for something to do around this hole and here there was something cool like this place there all along but no one thought to mention it. I'll try and make it if I can.

16. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I had put a little HAMB meet together there several years ago but got a service call about an hour before the meet time so I never even got to go (same friggin thing happened with the Mammoth Orange meet [another lost drive in]).

The neighborhood around Angelo's has gotten a bit rough through the years but the place has hung tough.

I'm going there at lunch today so I'll see about the time frame.

C'mon Muttley, you can do it. Hopefully it won't be too hot, or cold, or raining or...

17. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Talked to them today. They said the 17th is their last day. Told them we would be there with some hot rods and maybe some dragsters and they thought that was pretty cool.

So if that works for everyone,Sat the 17th at 11:00. See ya'll there!

18. The 17th is a Tuesday.

19. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Uh...lets try again, shall we. I meant the 7th.

Thanks Tim.

20. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Anyone else interested?

21. Tomas1

Tomas1
    from Fresno,Ca

I'll be there. On a side note word has it that Triangle Burger will be opening a second location that used to be Fosters burgers accross from hoverhigh school. Opens early sept.

22. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Never heard of Triangle. Where are they at?

23. Tomas1

Tomas1
    from Fresno,Ca

The orignal one is on Belmont just west of the 99. Been there since late 50's check out their FB page.

24. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I'll do one better and just go over there for lunch this week. I'll just call it "research and reconnaissance".

Do I need to take a side arm?

25. Tomas1

Tomas1
    from Fresno,Ca

Cool.And from someone considering a CCW why would'nt you ? If you
    can carry legal. Unless your just making a funny then in that case Lol Lol ha ha ha.

26. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Just making a funny.

27. Muttley

Muttley

That is the perfect spot for something cool in Fresno. It's right in the middle of everything for just about everyone from the whole Fresno/Clovis area. The lot is huge. As far as I know the old BBQ place/bar is still vacant and the grocery store closes fairly early so the Hot Rods could take over the place. I tried to get the people at the Fosters to get on board with a Friday or Saturday night deal about ten years ago but the manager said he wanted nothing to do with it. Maybe the new owners would be open to something.

28. Hope you guys have fun. Wish I was closer. I ran across the article about Angelo's in the LA Times ( online ). Interesting read. Sounds like the owners are taking a bath on the state buyout. Pretty sad deal all around. Seems no one wants the rail, a few will get very rich and the tax payers will have another few billion debt. The real dig to me was, the state offered the Angelo's sign back to the owners for a grand. Nice of them !!

29. Tomas1

Tomas1
    from Fresno,Ca

It should'nt be to hard to get them on board they have had a couple of shows / pre registration for the Galvan show there @ orignal drive in . I've already hinted about a cruise night there at the new location with no response on their facebook page.Maybe If more of us showed intrest they may accomadate us for at least a monthly gathering.If your on board with this let them know on their FB page.

30. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

When are they opening the Barstow site? That would be a great lot for a show or cruise night.