Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2013 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Sorry our paths didn't cross, while I was there.

3. KCsledz

KCsledz

Have to say that this year was Fantastic! Loved Friday night and all of Saturday!

But next year should come with a punch in the neck to anyone that does a burn out in the crowd at the hotel.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. JRussell

JRussell

No worries Ryno was there to deliver it to the guilty party, event security at large!

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Best weekend of the year, period.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This past weekend was about the most fun I've EVER had at car event. From the great group of friends that I travelled with, a trouble-free trip, seeing a TON of friends at the Drags, Springfield swap meet, and hotel parking lot. It just doesn't get much better!

Big thanks to Ryan, Ryno, Bill, and everyone else that makes the HAMB Drags weekend a huge success and lots of fun. I helped Tech cars on Friday night in the parking lot and would be more than happy to do it again next year. I think there was only one 'oil-down' from a blown engine this year and racing moved along nicely.

Highlight of the weekend for me was the best and final pass in my roadster. 12.36 @ 113 mph on skinny tires - surprised the heck out of me. What a blast!

Malcolm
    (aka Nick)

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

My hypocrisy knows no bounds. I've been known to do a mean and illegal burnout at the drop of a hat, but I've never knowingly risked another by doing it. It was what it was and it was handled... And after the smoke cleared, another car or two should have been ripped of their registrations. That was my mistake...

But everything happens for a reason. It gave me perspective.

At the end of the day, we got lucky... no harm was done... and I had an absolute blast. The "special" part of the drags is back for me. I'm so excited. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to next year. Great things are on the horizon... and I'll always look at this year as the turning point for me - the year that got me excited again. This was a very, very special event.

8. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

great weekend!

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks to all who documented the Drags for those of us who couldn't be there.

10. Butch M

Butch M

Had a great time can't wait till next year A big thanks to Ryan and the crew at MOKAN

11. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Great job as always, Ryan. The Hamb Drags is my racing highlight of the year. Already looking forward to the 2014 event.

12. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was my first year and I can't wait til next year! I'm hoping to shave some time and add some mph next year.

Having been a part of organizing and running events before I appreciate what all of you do to make it happen. Thank you!

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No wonder you had such a good time! Cool . . .

14. Marcy

Marcy

Such a good time!

Marcy

15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Yeah. That was kinda fun. We should all do it again....

16. This Drags was a test for me after I put the auction into hibernation last year. I was burnt out on it, there was just nothing left in the tank. I made a few changes this year and was able to have a heck of a good time doing it. We'll be back and better than ever next year.

I've also got to say that I did not do the work all on my own. The core of the HAMB is pretty tight and I get to fall back on a bunch of them when the going gets weird. I'll post a thread on that later.

17. Thanks for the weekend Ryan, you and your crew make the long haul worth it.
    x2 on the burnouts in the parking lot deal... People that have grown up racing know how shit can turn bad on the flip of a switch.

We had a rough one with our "Little Honker". Fuel pump went away and leaned out at the hit on the first run. Backfired the supercharger intake on the starting line, blew the whole front of the casting out. We went back and thrashed, buttoned the intake back toghether with bubble gum and some cardboard, made the last call, and atleast made it down the track! Im drillin the manifold for port lines so we can actually run the car on nitro next year..

Speaking of nitro, i hope starting the car at the hotel friday night on 92% wasnt too out of line... We were nice with the hotel managers:)

Thanks for the weekend, look forward to it every year.

Hilton's

18. Best
    Weekend
    Ever!

The commentary on Emily's video from the tower has to be the highlight for me though...:)

19. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I always enjoy seeing the Little Honker. I'm glad you guys keep making the trip every year.

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I've been trying to make it for years and this year it finally happened. It was to put it simply, a BLAST. Thanks to everyone that helped make it happen,

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'll echo quite a few people in saying it was the Best car event that I've ever been to, I'm sure most of it is the people but some drag cars thrown in the mix probably didn't hurt ;)

22. Rusty

Rusty

Awesome time! Thanks

23. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Awesome as usual Ryan!

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PQzzWxFPLoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

just gonna put that there :)

25. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks for another HAMB Drag Nationals. My goal at every event is to meet a new HAMB member that I have only chatted with on-line. I wish that I could have helped Bill out with the 'auction', but with 2 little stinks at the Drags......stuff changed.......THANKS AGAIN Bill for what you do.

Seeing you on Saturday afternoon, you looked pretty relaxed and that's the way it should be every now and then for and event that you put on. I'm curious though, did you share the 'ribs' with your brother? Haha.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit!!! I knew I forgot to thank someone...

Chris and family for the BBQ! You made my night... again... The food was a life saver at 1am!

Ohh... and the YAY-HOOS! I love their fastest of the breed. It just makes the race that much better.

27. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Best weekend I had in a while. Probably the only guy that strapped 2 car seats in the back, and a bunch of shit on the running board of a flathead powered A and hauled a wife, 4yr old and 5month old 150 miles to a full on party and was able to remain married.
    My son, the 4yr old, is hooked. Wants me to build a race car (plans are developing).
    It was great to see all my hamb friends, met a few, and wish I would have met even more. Thanks to guys who let my son sit in their dragster.

Thank you Ryan and crew for putting this on.

28. Deadbird

Deadbird

I had a great time at the Drags as usual. Just wish that I had my truck done in time to make it. Next year for sure.

29. This year was the second time since 1967 that I have run a car down the drag strip. For a guy damn near 72 (less than 30 days from now) and a car that is 59 years old going down the strip was an absolute ball. Fast? NO. But damn it was fun. My grudge race against Denise turned out just as I expected it to. Got my ass waxed again. But who cares. I had fun. Made 3 passes and improved my speed and ET each time. Did I mention I had fun.
    Thanks to all involved in making this happen. Let's do it again next year.
    Later,
    Dick

30. seatex

seatex

Damn, "One of these days, Alice, straight to the MOKAN!" Dick, sure hope she brought you some cookies, man!;)