Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much should I pay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaBigBeef, Aug 19, 2013.

1. DaBigBeef

DaBigBeef

Hi everyone. First post so I hope I'm doing it right.

Anyway, my 32nd birthday is coming up and I wanted to get myself something nice. I found the following ad and will be taking a look at the car sometime this week:
    http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1961-Cadillac-DeVille-W0QQAdIdZ486679641

The car looks great but I am worried the seller is asking a bit too much. I was hoping to spend 20k max. What do you all think? I should mention that the price, as well as my budget, is in Canadian dollars but they're pretty much on par with U.S. bucks right now anyway.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Looks like a nice car,,probably worth it if you want a Caddy. HRP

3. Abomb

Abomb

Go and offer 20K, HAVE IT WITH YOU IN CASH...you might be surprised what actual money in hand will buy. Looks like a very nice car from the photo's...

4. ..all original with aftermarket air ride..390 motor..4 speed automatic.. cadillac had the 4speed before the chevys did...power windows..power vent windows ..8 way power seats...power trunk..power ant..

Caddies had 4 speed hydros in them at one time but not in '61. Chevrolet only put 4 speed hydros in trucks and those were late '50s trucks.

5. Rob68

Rob68

Yeah, cash is king. Go over that car with a fine tooth comb. Take a magnet and check for filler. Look down the sides for waves in the panels. Check below the rear window for rust. Look inside for leaks on the kick panels and below the rear glass. Look under the floor mats and inspect under the trunk mats. Look underneath for rust outs, bent things, things that dont look right. I'm not an expert by any means but that is what I would do. In the end, if your gut says NO, follow your intuition. There are always more cars out there. It is a nice looking car-love those years for Cads. If you are going to drop that much money on it, it better be nearly perfect. You might get lucky and that thing will be good to go. Looks like it may be. Good luck!

6. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

I'm with abomb, start at 20k but be show your ready. Asking mid twenty's
    is not out of line on the seller part. The caddy looks very clean from the ad.

7. Gerrys

Gerrys

You should take a look at it . No photos of the air ride install and electrical install looks like a mess. See if he has plates for it to test drive. I would be suspect of the 32000 original miles claim Looks more like 132,000 miles.

If you like it have a inspection done. Should go for less that 20k

8. Gerrys

Gerrys

9. pitman

pitman

Lot-a-dinero's. Might take a tour of retirement communities,
    Never know what may hide in the carport.

10. My $0.02 worth...Put that baby on a rack and check over that "aftermarket air ride" install...By the looks of the way the power cables are attached to the battery, I suspect theres more gremlins lurking about underneath.. As far as the Caddy stuff, if it all works and the car is as solid/rustfree as the sellers says, the price is about in the ballpark and it would pay to try a lower price... it may work
    With a little detail work underhood..some carpet care..etc looks like a pay & drive vehicle

11. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

As already astutely pointed out above, you have to carefully and thoroughly inspect the car.

Especially in today's economy "cash talks". Have cash in hand and make a serious offer. From what I've seen lately it wouldn't be out of line to make a counter offer at 75% of asking price which is $18375. After negotiation that can creep up closer to asking price, like maybe $20k.

12. henry29

henry29

13. Squablow

Squablow

If it's really that flawless with original paint and 32K actual miles, it might be worth that, but it'd have to be ultra cherry. If it turns out to have any non-original paint on it or the mileage isn't correct, then I'd say it's overpriced. Also have to question the air ride install. It's one of those cars you'll have to go and check out for yourself.

14. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Something is confusing....ad says 32000 kilos and later it changes to miles. 32Klicks is 20K miles .....something is fishy. Also, car is overpriced unless it is a real cream puff. Why would the owner put an aftermarket bag system on a stocker? This stuff doesnt add up....like the other guys said, get it on a rack and figure out what is the truth. Dont offer your entire bankroll....offer a max of $14K, let him counter....IF and only if it is a truely nice car.

15. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Meet him halfway after offering the 20K. $22,500 should get them to budge.

Cool car non-the-less.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

First, do a proper intro here - next "Buyer Beware"

17. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

EDIT: I was looking at one of the links to ebay, Not the car in question.

18. Gerrys

Gerrys

looks like lots sites have it wrong. 3 speed jetaway. Rock Auto has it right;)