Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1947 Willys Overland Jeep truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old_Man_In_Indiana, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Who has one? I'm looking for a few acknowledgeable owners to exchange thoughts and ideas with.
    Ours is serial # 12015
    Dave in James Dean, IN (Fairmount)

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

hey dave, i have one, 2 wheel drive straight axle, only 2500 built

4. Hi.
    I'd like to know if you have any extra parts?
    Also, what have been some of your experiences with your truck?
    Ours is a running mostly original 4x4. It's road worthy enough to go to a "Fly In - Cruise In" in less than 2 weeks and then the James Dean Run in a month or so.
    Dave

5. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have a stock 51 Willys truck 4x4 and a CJ2A that are driven and used for work all the time. Willys, as in Jeeps or 4x4 trucks are not allowed here.Ask me how I know :D There are several dedicated Willys truck forums out there,this one is pretty good

http://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/forum.php

6. shop teacher

shop teacher

Hi- I have a 51 wagon that was raced in the 60's Small block , fender well headers
    roll bar, chrome rear axle, and other "gasser" parts. There isnt much Willys left, but I will try to answer any questions. Thanks, Bill

7. Well, I guess that put me in my place.

8. spooler41

spooler41

My oldest son, has my'48 Willys panel delivery ( 2 vertical rear doors), 2 wheel drive.
    I built this rig in the early 80's with a 302 SBF,top loader 4 speed and a 8" '68 Mustang
    rear end. It had a great stance with a dearched front spring and reversed spring eyes.
    I used it as a daily driver from 82 till 88,then gave it to my son. He drove it for several years. The Willys has been in storage for nearly 20 years now,I'm hoping he'll get back to finishing the panel soon.

.................................Jack

9. Thanks, Bill. I'll get with you soon.

Dave

10. Don't have one, but do have a question- would someone be willing to measure a crankshaft for a Willys 4 cyl engine? I'm wondering if I can use it in my '28 Chevrolet block to get a counterbalanced crank and insert bearings.

Thanks, Bill (Mac the Yankee)

11. I got a '61 basically the same truck at least same drivetrain.

Pm me and lets chat.

12. mac - do you need a measurement from a f-head 4cly, or L head 4cy? we have an F head sitting in the barn. its in the back and i dont know if i can get to it. but i am headed there this weekedn and i can see if it is accessible.

old man - i also have a willys pickup a 58. i am no expert, but i will surley help with any qustions or general chitchat about them.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The Fall Midwest Willy Reunion will be held in Jefferson City, MO Sept 6-8. A few of us go out to the woods and use 4WD on Friday before the show. All are welcome.

14. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

I have a '56 and a thread in "projects", I was welcomed. But I am running a Buick V6. Old man, try the Willys Yahoo forum.

15. Auggie,

If you can get the measurements from your F head that'd be great- don't know which would match the '28 crank better... and (of course) I've lost my measurements :D. Will post them as soon as I can get to a crankshaft.

Thanks!

16. alright, i will see if i can dig it out. as this i havent really done this before (measuring a crank that is) can you give me an idea what i am measuring? ie overall length? journal length? etc. basically. what measurements do you need?

17. Overall length of the crank, length/width of the bearings, length of the throw, and length from the end of one bearing to the beginning of the next. There will be an odd meausrement between 2 and 3.

Please don't go out of your way to make this happen- it's not like the engine will be buttoned up tomorrow :D- I'm just looking for possibilities!

18. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

19. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Here's a better action shot

[​IMG]

21. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You don't have to have massive tires or even four-wheel -drive to join the old truck trail ride.

[​IMG]