Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rustoleum Hammer Finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edsel58a, Aug 17, 2013.

1. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I've used it on the skid plate of my OT daily driver. Still holding up great.

2. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Great paint, I have used it on a few things on my F1 and it holds up very well. I love the look.

3. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Attached Files:

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love the stuff! I use it all the time on various suspension components, and brackets. It really holds up well, and looks great!

5. I started using the stuff several months ago and really like it. It's tough and it's great for small parts.

6. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

The grill on my F1, valve covers, engine brackets. Works great. Also great on billet parts to make them look like steel.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

pecker head likes this.
  7. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I made a tank for the trunk of a ModelA and used hammertone copper

[​IMG]

8. Hammer tone use to be a preferred finish back in the 50's and 60's for all kinds of equipment from adding machines to safes.

I've used it on a dash in my first '54 Ford back in the mid 60's. HRP

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Painted my trans with it. still holding up.

10. I've used the Copper for my mailbox and the wheels on a late-model Chevy pickup. Looks good.

11. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

used it on a heater, window garnishes, Painted my engine with it. Used it on the wheels for my Studebaker Truck.

[​IMG]

12. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

used it on all my fabricated shop equipment,benches ect .I did 2 flathead blocks and oil pans thay look good.

13. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Interesting. I wasn't aware of a brush on paint. Any advantages between a brush on and spray bomb?

14. 210eddiep

210eddiep

I did underneath my car and gas tank about three years ago. Still looks good.

15. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I used the silver on the door sills I made for my 40 pickup. It's holding up well in that tough area. The advantage of the product being brushed on is that you don't have to deal with masking or wasting material if you're working outside in a breeze. The nice part is that you can get a lot more paint for your money when it's non aerosol and the finish looks identical whether it's brushed or sprayed. It's self priming and goes over a multitude of different surfaces, it's one great general purpose paint.

16. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

I used the black brush on Rustoleum hammer tone on my frame,floor and any suspension pieces that got in the way....i like how it looks...

Attached Files:

17. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

I also like how you cant really F' it up....

18. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I rolled it on my cabinets, and some of my equipment. Looks great, little preparation. I've used silver, grey, and black. I don't like the black so well, it has kind of a metallic in it and looks grey. I have been redoing some of the weight room equipment at the YMCA that I go to in black and I am not happy with it. I may repaint it with the grey.

19. donsz

donsz

I used it on the treads of my cab (1957 Chevy truck), seems to be very durable so far.

20. Abomb

Abomb

Here's a new one, I have used it on bare masonite door panels. Two tone balck and silver, and after adding the factory chrome trim, from a few feet away it looks like a nice vinyl interior.....sorry, I'll see if I can find a picture, this was five cars ago...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  21. Abomb

Abomb

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The brush on works great on most things you want that finish on.
    It looks good on about any piece of shop equipment a guy might want to paint after building or redoing it.

I'd have to go to the paint store and check the brand but there is a "Hammertone" line of paint that is primarily used in industrial settings that we used the hell out of when I worked in a processing plant. equipment stands, housings on electric motors and pump casings and just about everything else that didn't get painted food plant white. It held up great in a very harsh environment.

23. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

to all you guys who have used the hammertone finish on an engine, I have heard that rustoleum does not work and play well with fuel or oil. anyone have any experience to add??

24. kismyss

kismyss

Good shit, used it on the centers of my cracked ET II wheels after i repaired them to cover up the imperfections. Also painted my frame with it. Holds up nice and easy to touch up without noticing. I know the black will fade in the sun pretty easily. Painted my mail box with it and is now gray. Still great stuff.:cool:

25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I use the Rust-Oleum hammered silver on the the jigs and tools I build in the shop. I just clean the metal and brush the paint on. One coat is all you need.

26. 32 hudson

32 hudson

How does that hamertone hold up to UV rays on those exposed framerails and so forth? I am looking for some brush on chassis paint that will not dull

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have used Rust-O-Leum's hammer tone on the engine in the Plymouth for the better part of ten years now with no real ill effects. It doesn't like heavy cleaners like Casterol's Super Clean, but other than that, normal gas and oil spills have been no problem at all.

28. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

This paint does seem to have a very high gloss to it...

I can't really answer the uv question...only sunlight mine has seen yet is when i roll it out to dust it off...(waiting on paperwork for the title from our great capital and the 1 girl in South Dakota that handles assembled,rebuilt and custom titles)

I was told this is the same formula that eastwood had been selling...but not sure on that...

29. Diavolo

Diavolo

I painted a 351W with hammertone silver and took it apart to rebuild recently. I ended up having to use lacquer thinner and a brush to wash it off. It was on there pretty good. No obvious signs of failure from normal engine fluids.