Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects from a 63 year slumber to the "Race of Gentlemen" 33 5 wdw ford "

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOLLYWQQD, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Lookin' Good Bro! Keep on it!

2. Love your coupe. Looking forward to seeing it on the beach in Jersey!

3. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

It steers ! The previous owner had cut the pitman arm and drag link with a torch because the steering column was locked. I scored a stock 33 pitman arm and drag link with an old hot rod steering arm here on the HAMB and when I got to the shop yesterday after work the boys had it all good to go .

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Won't be long now! Lookin bad to the bone!

5. Jims35

Jims35

I always wanted to find an old car or truck in a barn that can be bought. Going to watch this build.

6. havi

havi

Subscribed! (and ditto on a better camera! lol)

7. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

moving right alone with this one!! very nice!

8. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

how ya been??? i didn't see ya at the NATS this year !!

9. I've been good! Keeping busy, and trying to enjoy the strange weather we've been getting this summer...

I didn't make it down to Syracuse this year. Prior commitments and limited funds put the kibosh on the trip. I'm putting the screws down on the truck trying to get the frame together and finished.

Entertaining plans to make it to the RoG... If I can pull it together, we'll have a beer and toast your success on the sand!

How have you been? Other than busy thrashing.

Posted via telegraph.

10. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

for anyone interested ....... here is a couple links to some info on the previous owner of this car !!

http://midstateantiquestockcarclub.com/articles_Al_Sanders.html

in the following link there are some pics and one of them is titled "channeling a 34 ford" . i think that is my car , it looks like a 33 to me and the dropped drilled axle that i have in my car is in that pic and laying next to it is the aluminum headed stock 33 ford motor that was in my car when i got it from Al and the driver door handle was ripped of its outer chrome and was just the steel inner skeleton which can be seen in the pics of the car from when i first got it ! i can't be sure because Al has since passed on but i am almost certain its the one . it never did get channeled (fortunately) and never got finished up as a hot rod either (unfortunately)

http://www.ottosraceaction.com/RA-VIN-2.html

and his obituary :(

http://www.herkimertelegram.com/obituaries/x1959337083/Richard-Al-A-Sanders

11. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I wish every thread on the HAMB was like this one!

12. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

that's got to be the same car! Looks like he save a lot of his race cars too.

13. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

he did save them and they are all still sitting in his back yard (rotting)as we speak and he has been gone for several months . the A coupe , the 37 with all of the holes in it , the 4 dr 34 ford sedan , all still sitting behind his place . his children are not ready to decide what to do with things yet!!

14. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man that's an incredible find

15. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

juice brakes are all set on the rear just gotta plumb them and replace wheel cylinders when they show up ! gonna either get started on the exhaust or the radiator tomorrow either way there will be more progress . its shaping up decent!! the guys are all working their asses off , i'm gonna owe them big time after two of these deals in a row!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

so this is the pic i have been looking at and thinking it is my 33 way back when al first started messing with it ,but just today for the first time, i looked at it and realized that Al is definitely not 17 in this pic . and i was under the impression that this car sat untouched since 49 as per my conversation with Al the day i bought it !! . i know he raced roundy round cars until 65 and by then he had kids (i believe that is his son randy in the pic) so that means this pic is later 50's Now the car in the pic looks like it has 33 doors on it and the chassis behind it has the aluminum headed stock motor next to it and the drilled dropped axle that is on my car in it and not only does the door look like a 33 door to me it also has the outer shell missing off the door handle as did my 33 when i got it from him . and the beginning stages of rust are visible and that is where my door is the worst . but it looks to me like the cowl is a 34 because of the hole down low where the hood latch bar would go into on a 34 my 33 cowl still has the bracket there for the hood latch mechanism . the door hinge pins on my 33 were removed at some point as they have signs of being pounded out and back in and they were not re installed all the way so the doors have been off of the car . i'm beginning to think that the chassis and doors in this pic may have been mine and that the 34 body became his #L8 race car and the 33 body went back on this chassis i have . i wish he was still around to pick his brain on this stuff . all of this guessing sucks but either way this is a cool pic even if NONE of the stuff in it is mine !!! only one that knows is Al.

[​IMG]

17. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

that's is a 34 cowl for sure. check the vin number on the chassie or check the vin on the trans case too. you might find some clues there.

18. slammed

slammed

Bump for the real deal hot rod.

19. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

That's an amazing story, an amazing car, an amazing photo, and an amazing plan! Wishing you all the best in your endeavor, I'll be watching this with interest. Good luck!!

20. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

the chassis vin and the tranny case vin are the same !!

is there any rhyme or reason to body numbers on these cars as far as them matching the chassis numbers ???

21. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

your avatar makes me dizzy for some reason !!!

22. Mart

Mart

What is it that makes it a 34 cowl "for sure"? I thought 34s have a distinct dip on the cowl top for the hood corner to rest on. The photo ain't the clearest, but I can't see them on that cowl.

Mart.

23. SimonSez

SimonSez

Probably the hole at the bottom of the cowl for the hood latch. Pretty sure that is '34 only.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man oh man you're making me look like a slack ass!!! I drove 17.5hrs yesterday to go pickup an engine but that's about all I did. I think the best I'm gonna be able to offer is bringing up a non operating car. :D

25. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I'm going into Wildwood Thursday night and if you are in a position where you think an extra set of hands all night Thursday night and during the day Friday will get you going on the beach i will do whatever i can to help! unless i meet you and you turn out to be a complete dick then i'll help ya anyway but i'll talk behind your back and tell everyone you suck your thumb and sleep with a stuffed penguin named bobby and occasionally wet the bed !!

26. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

That's funny stuff!..... I gave my Penguin up a couple years back, it's name was Pat! :)

Good Luck on your 33, that would be cool on the sand!

27. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

so....at the shop the other day while battling with clearance issues on the radiator to fan with this 59AB swap into the 33 , i look over and happen to notice that while kustom is busy at his 20's vintage lathe turning down the shaft on the sealed bearing later style fan so that we can shorten the snout to get clearance from the radiator he is wearing a stromberg carb shirt and just behind him peaking at me from under half of a 33 ford hood is a set of old chrome strommies just waiting to tear it up on the jersey shore. it struck me as a photo op and since you all yelled at me to get clearer pics for you i figured you better see this one !!

[​IMG]

and of course while everyone else was working on important stuff i was dicking around with a plate /HAMB tag/club plaque mount HA HA . priorities guys, priorities.

[​IMG]