Register now to get rid of these ads!

California non-op

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 dude, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Guys help me understand this DMV bs, The few against a vehicle that is registered in Cal and for whatever reason goes without being licenced for 10 years and was not Non-opted and has FEES against it are these fees strictly for being relicenced in CAL? If vehicle leaves state those fees are no longer valid,ex if vehicle goes to WA state and is registered there. Reason I ask i'm being offered vehicle that wasn't licenened or non-opped either. . Just want to be sure before I purchase this off topic vehicle. Thanks.

2. big M

big M

If the vehicle is leaving California, and you are titling it in Washington, these fees disappear. If the buyer is in California, and wishes to transfer ownership there, they will have to pay those fees.

---John

3. Thanks John!

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump.

A friend tells me he just went to take his pile off non-op. DMV said the annual date was a couple weeks away, he would have to pay the full prior year fees, plus the upcoming. He went back again later and they said he had to take it off non op on the exact annual date, not later, or he would pay late fees. So he says you have to go in on the exact date to avoid excess fees.

???

He says he went to the DMV 3 times on 3 consecutive days. I'm working on a medal.

6. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I would think there would NOT be any prior fees in the current year, since the car was non-op. And no "penalty" for taking it off non-op in the middle of the year. The fees should be pro-rated for the year it comes off non-op, mean starting the date it is on regular registration. He needs to talk to a DMV supervisor.

7. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

have the back fees waived. easy.

8. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

All I can say is get a AAA membership and do it through them. I am sure the people that work at DMV are truly too stupid to hold a real job. It took me 3 months to get my 49 off non-op because depending on who I spoke with, there were other "items" needed. I was even told to call the Franchise Tax Board because I was "told" there was an income tax lean on my property, which of course was not true. After about 5-7 hours invested in the DMV (each call was an hour hold time) I went to AAA and was out in 15 minutes. I would have gone there first but I didn't think they handled non-op.

FWIW,
    Adam

9. chopndrop

chopndrop

It's been my experience that the CA DMV does not pro rate your registration fee when putting vehicle back on road from non op. If you want it a day before the next yearly period, you will pay for the complete past year. I put a car back on the road about a month ahead and had to pay for the last and the next year at once, I imagine since I was so close to the next year, they didn't have time to send out next bill. Seems they send out notices 8 weeks or so ahead of time. Further, there is no penalty for coming out of non op "late", because you only pay non op fee once anyway, at the beginning, and you pay registration for a complete year regardless if it's for 11 months or 11 days. There are late fees if you are late with registration, and if you are late past a certain point they won't allow you to go on non op.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    BigDogSS likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, that's been my experience, pay the full current cost year whether it's 1 month or 11. I don't get what my friend says about late fees, so I told him to find it documented. He, or likely the DMV clerk, was probably mistaken.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's this "non-op" for? Why a fee? What do you get for your $$$?

I had my Michigan SoS office once tell me I had to pay 2 years plates on an O/T Bronco once. "For what? What am I paying for and what do I get for my $$$?" ...$286!! For 2 1/2 years plates! They had no answer so I asked the manager if he could show me in the vehicle code book the what and why of it. "Nobody knows what's in the code book." "And you're the manager here?" I asked. He got red-faced and actually didn't want to return my original registration and plate application. I won the battle but the war wasn't over. I went home and called the SoS in Lansing. I was on hold for near 40 min and once I got someone with brain cells I was given a case # and told refer to it for my plate, NO BACK FEES required and they're NEVER required. The manager didn't like me much when I returned but tough shit. They SERVE citizens, not the other way around.

So what's this non-op gig for or about? Seems like extortion if it's a charge to simply own the car.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Ca personal plate I took off a previous vehicle. I'd like to use it again. They tell me to use it, I need to pay 6 yrs back fees and no one can reuse it but me unless I do it and sell the car with it. Dumb...

13. chopndrop

chopndrop

In CA, you have the option of putting your vehicle on "non op" if your not going to be driving it, or having it on the road. You pay the fee when you put it on, currently $21 I believe, and every year you will get a notice stating the vehicle is still on non op, and if you are going to have it on the road during the next year, you will need to pay the registration fees. You only pay for the non op once. This keeps the vehicle in the system, so when you do plan on driving it again, it's just a matter of paying the registration fees, and proving you have insurance. No inspections or anything. It's useful when you have many cars or projects that are not operational, but you don't want to get fines by simply letting registration lapse.

bchctybob, BigDogSS and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  14. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So your paying $21 for computer storage space? I wanted to use my plates that hadn't been on a truck in about 25 years and I had lost the paperwork for them. The clerk said I'm supposed to charge you $11 to reprint the slip but don't worry about it. I then payed far the year registration and put them on my new truck. Phil

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the explaination, and that actually makes sense. I told the manager the next time I'll sell the car to my wife for a dollar. "That's fraud and I'll report it." he said. I just laughed out loud as I left. We really have a normal system here with no hooks, it's folks behind the counter that get it all mullered up. Same office, the lady told me I HAD TO have antique plates on my Model A pickup. "Uh, it's a renewal dear. Just need my sticker." You'll see, you're gonna get a ticket." "Thanks for the warning but I'll just take the sticker please." Makes me wonder how some people know how to turn a door knob to leave their homes.

16. The DMV,MVA, Whatever you call it is a total racket.
    a level of government bureaucracy that exists to keep itself in existence.
    Its a highway use tax wrapped up in a giant inefficient cinder block building.
    They force you at gunpoint to pay a fee to use your own property.... every year!!! I could almost see a one time fee when you first register the car, but every year?!?!
    Then on top of that you have to pay tax on a vehicle when you register it... So, every time a car gets sold and registered in a new name the state collects tax on the sale...what kind of racket is it where you can collect tax on the same product 5, 6, 10 times?
    I gave a car to my daughter and when we went to register it in her name... you guessed it, we had to pay tax on the book value of the car, plus a fee for changing the name on the title, plus 2 years of registration fees to get the plates... it ended up costing me $1000 to give something away!!!!
    It's CRAP I say!!!!
    Now if you will excuse me i am going to go throw some tea in the harbor.... :)
    Chappy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Saxman, dan31, blowby and 1 other person like this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Tell it to us Daddyo!

Despite it's shortcomings, the DMV does have a few redeeming qualities:

Climate controlled place to park your bones for a couple hours without fear of loitering. Maybe take in a shouting match or two.

Free pens, reading material, eye chart, water cooler and rest rooms.

Psychologically uplifting being around folks more depressed than you.

Family tree exploration obtaining information and signatures from distant relatives as well as others.

Chappy444 likes this.
  18. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Thanks, chopndrop for the clarification on coming off of non-op. The CA non-op thing works pretty good. A one-time fee ($21) is awesome. Back in the day, you would have to pay the non-op fee every year and if you failed to do so, you would have pay regular registration fees and penalties. And they would NOT send you a reminder --> you have to remember. They changed the non-op handling about 20 years and it is great --> one-time fee and a notice every year asking if you want to take the car off of non-op. If you do nothing, it stays on non-op.
    I do think the CA DMV is very old-car friendly, just be persistent.
    BTW, vehicle title and registration transfers between family members are free with no taxes, here in CA.

Russ B and INVISIBLEKID like this.