Register now to get rid of these ads!

T confiscated because of engine number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noah*, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

No can do on an active investigation. Unless he was arrested, then his lawyer gets a copy at the time of arraignment unless he wants to pay for a copy before arraignment.

2. Weasel

Weasel

Okay - I have read all seven pages of this thread and nowhere do I see mention of one of the most effective tools in documenting all of this - A CAMERA - video, still, cellphone, whatever. Photograph your car the engine, the cop, the impound yard, the state of your car when impounded - you need to document everything and as they say, a picture speaks a thousand words. CYA....

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Chevrolet sold Factory Crate motors with NO numbers on the pad at all. I know because I used to get them from the dealer that way.I don't know if that helps or not but it does establish inconsistencies with GM.

4. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

Glad I live in Alberta where they only ask for an out of province inspection done by certified garages. Never have to deal with the police under normal circumstances unless you are swapping frames with 2 existing vehicles and then it is only a check on the VINs Nothing if you are making a new frame or customizing the original. They don't even look for #s on the engine.

5. A lot of people, everyone I think, missed this line:

The engine was out of a guys 57 Chevy Nomad that was built in the early 80s from a junkyard car in Colorado and assigned a vin.

It's possible that when the VIN was assigned at that time, it was also stamped on the block used in the car.

If that's the case, there should be a paper trail back to that owner and the motor should be returned to them.

Anything else sounds sketchy to me. If I had to pull the motor to get my car back, I'd make sure to at least dump a shitload of sand into it before walking away.

6. BubbaG

BubbaG

Motor was supposedly from a Nomad built in the 80's. Said motor has been running around for 30 odd years. Many of those years after being "stolen". Does the cop REALLY think the original owner wants the motor back? This is one of those cases of file some paperwork and make a full report of it and life goes on. Then again, some cops are just plain ignorant. Unfortunately it sounds like you'll need to waste a bunch of $$$$ on a lawyer. Good luck man.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Where have you seen a punch or pick hammer or anything with that shape on the end? Nobody is going to make 2 or 3 hits to produce elongated holes consistently. There are no raised edges on the marks. They are not random, they are at pretty much the same angle as in drops of condensation etching into the surface over time dependent on the angle of the motor . I have a Chev 250 with a number pad that looks a lot like that and it is from rust.

Hotrod40oupe says: (Post 125)

I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Chevrolet sold Factory Crate motors with NO numbers on the pad at all. I know because I used to get them from the dealer that way.I don't know if that helps or not but it does establish inconsistencies with GM.

This is true. You got a box of number stamps with the new engine to put your engine number on it.

8. cryobug

cryobug

Sometimes you win by losing.
    Pull your motor out and leave them nothing but a bare long block.

9. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

If the numbers come up as stolen I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Obviously this number was hammered to hide the numbers. The cop is wise to engines possibly being stolen. He did his job. Somewhere, somehow there is a person missing a car and matching engine. You received the property in good faith. You are in the clear and possibly out a motor. I suspect an attempt to contact the original owner will be conducted. It will be fruitless or they may find the original owner who no longer cares. It sucks no doubt. But, if my motor was swiped and found later I would be happy about it. Perhaps the original owner would be as well.

10. 5window

5window

Lawyer first. And, now.

11. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Personally I would get my paper trail together that shows the engine was purchased in good faith and was clean to your knowledge. Then a lawyer. The cops are doing their job. You were found in possession of stolen goods. Not a situation favorable to your position. I think my innocence and good name intact trumps the engine and T bucket.

12. dcs13

dcs13

So spend a couple grand on a lawyer for a $500 motor ?

13. better hobby wise then cash poor- likes been said, save the lawyer money, pull the engine and strip as much off as you can ( the vin # only applies to the block) put the rest in a peach basket, drag the car home and take the lawyer money and get yourself a create engine no one can touch....gonna have to give this hero cop his glory and move on

14. Clik

Clik

As far as I know it's not illegal to alter a production number or even obliterate it.

A VIN is another ball of wax.

In the seventies my county was hot on motorcycles. There were various levels of what they would do depending on what they could prove.

1. Possesion of vehicle with altered serial number (Pre 1970 Harley did not use a frame number only engine number, which meant only engine confiscation).

2. If they could raise the old number and it was stolen you'd be charged with receiving stolen property (some engine cases were sent for Xray to raise old numbers).

3. If they could prove you stole it you'd be charged with grandtheft auto.

15. Clik

Clik

PS Some MVA/DMVs assigned numbers to remanufactured vehicles. So, a VIN number could have been stamped on your engine. More research for your local area is in order.

16. Lynn783

Lynn783

After working auto theft cases for several years, I can tell you that an altered or obliterated ID number on an engine (or other parts for that matter) is a huge red flag and, depending on the laws in that state, just possessing something like that can be a crime. Don't know all the facts or the law that the officer thinks has been violated but the message that we should learn from this unfortunate situation is to not walk, but RUN from auto parts that have numbers removed, altered or obliterated. Common sense!

17. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

It's not just a motor. In the law's eyes the law has been broken. Breaking laws comes with consequences. I understand the OP is innocent of what the law calls theft. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. A court date is already being scheduled. This might be petty theft if the engine is less than X amount of dollars. Lawyering up my not be required. A public defense is offered up free by the states. Schedule a meeting. The gravity of the situation here is not a confiscated car. It's theft and the OP is currently being called out on the carpet for it.

18. Drive Em

Drive Em

I has happened a few times here in Texas to friends of mine. Both were trying to get assigned VIN's for their cars. The first guy had a 5.0 that he bought out of a salvage yard. The engine was out of a stolen Lincoln Town Car. They confiscated his whole T- Bucket. The car sat for 6 months in a city impound yard where it was vandalized and lots of parts ended up stolen. After a court hearing, he was allowed to keep the car and the engine.

The other friend of mine was trying to title a fiberglass Model A. He bought a 700R4 from a reputable tranny vendor. They ran the VIN on the tranny and it came up stolen. He was arrested, spent the night in jail and had the car confiscated. The tranny was removed after a few months and he got the car back without the tranny. The city auctioned the stolen tranny off. The vendor refused to give him another trans. Moral of the story is to be sure where your parts come from.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Didn't realize we had so many Juris Doctors on the HAMB......... :rolleyes: :D

20. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

When any ID numbers, whether on an engine, stereo, etc. is intentionlly damaged, erased, or otherwise illegible, prima facie law dictates it was done to deceive or otherwise deny the rightful owner their property.

No paperwork would show ownership of the engine with a damaged or otherwise messed up serial number.

Word to the wise here.... watch what you buy. It is unfornunate that Noah will lose his engine. Unless he can prove the engine serial number was not damaged to deceive, he has no case.

Those who called the Officer names should be ashamed. That's the law, like it or not.

21. Noah*

Noah*

So would the anyone know the production number on the engine if it doesn't relate to the vin on a car if a vehicle was stolen?

22. Noah*

Noah*

Its not s serial number right, its a production number showing order, place and date it was made.

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive been doing this crap for 40 yrs and I never heard of this happening.to anyone! I live in al. I got a floor full of engines.19 to be exact.and I couldn't tell ya where the first one came from. ive sold cars that ive changed engines in and nobody has ever had a problem. but down here we don't use titles for old cars.they just come out look at the vin on the car and away you go,with tags.ive tagged cars that we pulled out of barns and fields and hadn't been tagged in 30 yrs and still no problems getting tagged. hope it works out for ya but I think id wouldn't get a lawyer,unleess they charged you with a crime.if ya cant get it back with paper work iot sure aint worth payin a lawyer.but get your car back now!!!and anything that unbolts off that block.and bring some sand in your tool box!

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

It is a serious matter, yet some of the responses sound like they are coming from a 12 year old....like the name calling, the conspiracy theories, and the "strip the engine, break the block, fill it with sand" comments.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep...........completely agree!

Of course, these comments come from people with no vested interest in any aspect of the matter and no real knowledge and/or respect for the applicable laws. Besides, talk is cheap.

26. airhead

airhead

Pull the engine, go to court and try to get the engine back.

27. Noah*

Noah*

I know the cops are doing their jobs, I don't want to fill it with sand or doing anything to damage it. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are for getting my engine back.
    Called this morning and left a message to set up a time to pull the motor and get my car back in my garage.

28. murfman

murfman

BUT they didn't sell them with mutilated numbers on the pad. That pad has obviously been tampered with, and THAT is the problem.

29. murfman

murfman

So if I steal your motor and keep it for 30 years it becomes my legal property?

30. I'll be amazed if you're allowed to pull the engine...in an impound lot.

I can't imagine anyone buying/building an engine/block with obviously defaced serial pad. Too many SBC blocks to make it worth the potential hassle.

I do admire you for wanting to do it right, and for not damaging what gets left behind.

For all the guys bitching about decked blocks being "tampered" with, there's a big difference between a decked block (that numbers can still be raised on) and an obviously altered one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.