Register now to get rid of these ads!

T confiscated because of engine number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noah*, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 327Eric

327Eric

^^X2. Get your car back, and fight for the engine, with the car in your possesion.

2. Thanks, didn't realize that - I see it now on a couple of sites

3. I think you are correct. Those aren't the original numbers. I have never seen a SBC with the numbers stamped in that direction either.

4. Key words "knowingly" and "intentionally". He may or may not lose the motor; depends on what the court rules - a 1956 Chevy motor number is not a VIN according to the TXDMV.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It looks like the numbers were stamped after the dimples.

6. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I have never seen a Chevy engine with the factory numbers stamped vertically like that. Not saying its never been done, just I've never seen it. And I grew up in a salvage yard. :)

7. Sounds like a complete nightmare in the making.
    I hope it works out well for you

The cop probably drives a Hugo.

8. rustang

rustang

I would be there in the am, pull the motor, pull off the heads, intake, pistons, crank, rods, frickin everything... the only thing with a number is the block... take everything else and leave the block with those a-holes.......have them prove any of the "bolt-on" parts are part of the original block.....

I would be down there now to get my shit...
    Tom

9. Larry T

Larry T

I think this probably covers that.

"a reasonable person in the position of the
    actor would have known that the serial number or other permanent
    identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated."

He probably won't get into trouble, but if I were a betting man I'd bet the engine is gone. And if it's not, would you want the possibility of going through this again?

10. dcs13

dcs13

Look at the picture , who says thats no been tampered with ?

(2) possesses, sells, or offers for sale tangible
    personal property and:
    (A) the actor knows that the serial number or
    other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered,
    or obliterated; or
    (B) a reasonable person in the position of the
    actor would have known that the serial number or other permanent
    identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated.

So, he's POSESSING a motor that a REASONABLE person would/should have known has been ALTERED

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  11. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Excellent info!

12. Good point - I don't think they ever stamped them like that either

13. dcs13

dcs13

And then read this on how property seized is disposed of IF you are not charged with a crime... (basically its a property hearing)

Art. 47.01a. RESTORATION WHEN NO TRIAL IS PENDING. (a) If a criminal action relating to allegedly stolen property is not pending, a district judge, county court judge, statutory county court judge, or justice of the peace having jurisdiction as a magistrate in the county in which the property is held or a municipal judge having jurisdiction as a magistrate in the municipality in which the property is being held may hold a hearing to determine the right to possession of the property, upon the petition of an interested person, a county, a city, or the state. Jurisdiction under this section is based solely on jurisdiction as a criminal magistrate under this code and not jurisdiction as a civil court. The court shall:
    (1) order the property delivered to whoever has the superior right to possession, without conditions; or
    (2) on the filing of a written motion before trial by an attorney representing the state, order the property delivered to whoever has the superior right to possession, subject to the condition that the property be made available to the prosecuting authority should it be needed in future prosecutions; or
    (3) order the property awarded to the custody of the peace officer, pending resolution of criminal investigations regarding the property.
    (b) If it is shown in a hearing that probable cause exists to believe that the property was acquired by theft or by another manner that makes its acquisition an offense and that the identity of the actual owner of the property cannot be determined, the court shall order the peace officer to:
    (1) deliver the property to a government agency for official purposes;
    (2) deliver the property to a person authorized by Article 18.17 of this code to receive and dispose of the property; or
    (3) destroy the property.
    (c) At a hearing under Subsection (a) of this article, any interested person may present evidence showing that the property was not acquired by theft or another offense or that the person is entitled to possess the property. At the hearing, hearsay evidence is admissible.
    (d) Venue for a hearing under this article is in any justice, county, statutory county, or district court in the county in which the property is seized or in any municipal court in any municipality in which the property is seized, except that the court may transfer venue to a court in another county on the motion of any interested party.

14. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Some guys put up good info, and others have proven themselves to be fools.

Bottom line is you need a lawyer versed in TX law. It sounds like if you were not arrested, YOU are not a suspect. If they are letting you pull the motor, that is a good sign. Now that potential stolen property has been identified, they cannot just let it go home with you. It is now their responsibility. If they thought you had a stolen engine and let you leave with it, these same guys bitching about cops being assholes would then be whining how the police are incompetent. The numbers on the block are skewed. Looking at what was posted, it is in violation of the law and should be investigated further.

Pull the engine, gt a lawyer just to cover your ass.

15. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

As everyone here has stated

GO PULL THE ENGINE and GO GET YOUR CAR ASAP

It sounds like they are being jerks, but I would rather have a car with no Engine than nothing at all!

Good Luck!!

16. classic gary

classic gary

Somebody want to tell me the difference between the "dimpled" numbers and a DECKED block.
    If it really is a 56 block there are no side motor mounts. Ok, then the ONLY number on the block in front of the head is an ENGINE number, and it is NOT the same as the VIN on the tag on the A pilar. Way back in the 50's cars were registered by the engine number not the VIN. Silly, but that's the way they did it. (Back then the engine was considered more valuable than the car). Now if a car was stolen a long time ago and it was titled by the engine number, the engine number will show as the number of the stolen car. I can't believe a stolen car from that long ago hasn't been purged from the system.
    I'd be getting ALL the paper trail I could !!! And a lawyer!!!!
    Think maybe the cop has a friend that needs a 56chevy engine. Or maybe the cop doesn't want your hotrod on "his" streets............
    The way those numbers were stamped, to me, is a re-stamp. And that means trouble.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Get a lawyer,...ASAP !!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

18. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

The Auto Theft Task Force isnt just some "Cop", these guys look for/at stolen vehicles, trailers, etc... all the time. They were super nice and professional when I had to deal with them a few years ago. Were more interested in helping me out than being jerks. (Not that thats not whats happening here). Maybe that engine number was reported stolen recently enough that its in the system?

19. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

DOOO NOT leave the car in the impound yard!!!! do what you have to do to get it out. also take a copy of this thread with all the post to the chief of police and your lawyer. you do have a lawyer dont you? take care and go 4 it........................

20. Cerberus

Cerberus

First, I'd like to say '57 Nomads did not come with a 265 V8. The '57 Nomad came with a 283 V8.

The red step side in my avatar did not come with a VIN #. I had to take it to the Martinez CHP Referee Station. The CHP VIN verifier ran the frame numbers and the engine numbers. It turned out the frame number matched the title. The engine number indicated it was originally in a stolen corvette. Good news was that the insurance company recovered the corvette. Sold it to GM Sport salvage in San Jose. GM Sport Salvage sold the engine to the previous owner of my truck. The CHP officer said he was installing a Blue Tag with my trucks vin # with a control number. He said, I am lucky there was no lien on the engine and I was free to go.

Your lawyer friend needs to find out if there is a lien on the engine. Good luck.

21. Noah*

Noah*

I'm going to go ahead and make an appointment to pull the motor.

22. dcs13

dcs13

It doesn't have to be stolen property to be seized. Under Texas PC 31.11, it only needs to be "tampered" with or obliterated. It doesn't matter if its a motor, a watch or a gun. It's subject to seizure and disposition in accordance with Texas Code of Criminal procedure 47.01.
    And yes, the Auto Theft Task force guys are good guys.

23. stan's52

stan's52

Thas sucks all right. That's probably the most exciting thing that happened to that cop since he cought a couple making out in a parking lot. I was getting a motorcycle vin checked at the DMV. Numbers very plane to read, nothing out of the ordnary. I was sent to the CHP for another vin check. I asked him why. He said that is just the way we do it. Had to make a appointement, and leave my bike with them. Stan

24. READ the first post again. He says it was not the original motor for the 57.

25. George

George

A few "long stolen" cars returning to owners in the news the last few years.

26. See there. Not every FNG is a doofus. Other that the suggestion to go remove the engine and take your car home, this is the only other post that you need to read. Get your car, go home and lick your wounds. Even if you lose the engine, you got off easy. SBCs are dime a dozen

27. Cerberus

Cerberus

I was merely making a commentary about '57 Nomad engines. The important part of my post is what the CHP VIN Verifier discovered... the engine in my truck was from a stolen Corvette, and how the CHP Referee Station handled the matter. Aaahoooom.

28. BobMcD

BobMcD

All this talk about lawyers sounds good, but in reality, their fee will be as much or more than the motor is worth. Pull the motor and get the car out of impound to avoid additional costs. See if you can have the engine reinspected by another officer or have them explain exactly why the engine was impounded. It does look like someone altered the numbers.

29. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

SBCs are a dime a dozen. Get your car. Prove the parts that you put in or on the motor are yours and you paid for them with receipts. Learn from this shitshow of a experience. All the best man
    Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.