Register now to get rid of these ads!

T confiscated because of engine number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noah*, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You might do some checking. I'm pretty sure the attempt at destroying or altering the numbers is enough for impound. I think that is the issue. If it was listed as stolen by the numbers, it would be returned to the owner not scraped.

2. Larry T

Larry T

There is a picture in the original post, pad looks REAL bad. But still don't think they can get you for stolen engine. Maybe altered ID numbers, but I don't know the law on that. They probably don't either.

3. Altered numbers are not going to pass a bonded title inspection.

4. sorry my computer didnt load it till now,yeah that does seem very stupid that its done BUT.. you can still see the numbers yes? and do they come up as stolen or not.thats the question.if not the police can kick rocks.

i dont full get how they determin whats right,im running a chevy block out of my fathers 75 blazzer,it was blown so we put a stocker motor in it and rebuild this block and now its in my project..does that mean i stold this motor since the other vehicle was sold? i think not.

5. Larry T

Larry T

Only if the Blazer is reported stolen at some time in the future. I think I'd get my dad to write out a bill of sale for the time frame you got the engine, if I were you.

6. i HIGHLY doubt anyone does that.

7. Homemade44

Homemade44

The factory numbers stamped on those engine were not serial number or vin numbers. All of the engines in that time frame had either a T or F as the start of the number T was for Tonawanda, NY and F was for Flint, Mich this was for the factory that built it. Then four numbers for the month and date of manufacture 0122, January 22. Those numbers were then followed by one or more letters that designated what options were on the engine. Don't remember the letter designation but there was one for a 2 barrel carb another for a 4 barrel etc. A typical number on those engines would be T0206B. Lots of engines made the same day and equipped the same would have the same numbers.

8. ems customer service

ems customer service

someone wants the engine, it will get lost at the police impond auction.

you need a good laywer, if they take your engine then they should arrest you for stolen property. if they do not then they have not much of a case.

although the numbers look bad being beat up like that.

but they have to have a stolen report with that engine number.

this is more about f%^&* with you and either stopping hot rodding, or they want your stuff.

your laywer need to be a criminal laywer with expericance search siezure

your local store front laywer will not be up to the task

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

also the cop letting you pull the engine in the impound lot is tampering with evidence, they would never let this happen in a real stolen property case

10. Noah*

Noah*

This information should be all I need, if the numbers aren't car specific I don't think they have a case.

11. i agree 100% with this man.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That cop better be shittin big when you and a good shyster get done with him. You're getting fucked hard w/out a kiss. WHERE'S THE PROOF IT'S BEEN STOLEN? Without that YOU should be the one doin the fuckin. If you roll over for this asshole you deserve it. FIGHT!!!!

13. How do you figure? A 1975 Blazer does not have the engine number on the title (at least not in any state that I have ever seen) and the engine number does not correlate back to any particular vehicle - only a year and series of vehicles.

14. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

That stinks!

Had to get my car inspected by the auto theft task force because I changed engines, and mine was titled by the original engine, ended up having to have a new "T" number assigned to my car and stamp that number in the new engine block.
    I guess the checked the engine block number because of the age of your car and thats what came up stolen?

Did you have to go to the auto theft task force for the inspection, or is it different in Dallas County?

15. exactly,thats what the orginal poster should be able to use against them.it doesnt actually have the cars vin does it? even if it did was it reported stolen. i just dont see a case in any of it. folks know motors blow up,they also know motors get swapped,its not rocket science

i think johnny law is fuckin with him.theres no way theyd let him take the motor out if it was 'stolen' anyway.they would not give the option.the just dont like you or the car and are doing what they can to keep it off the road

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

do you have receipts for the internal parts. I would take those with you, so you can show you bought just the bare block.. I would not leave the car in the imbound longer than necessary.. might start missing parts

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I said before, if it comes to that, make sure it is indeed scrap that is only good to a scrapper after you take your parts off it and walk away. In the early 70's I watched a Pontiac Factory rep take a sledge to more than one Pontiac block that had been replaced on warranty and reduce it to scrap iron.

18. dcs13

dcs13

What city is this in ? If the engine is stolen, it should have been on NCIC. If the cop is cool, he won't mind showing you the NCIC hit. There is a law in Texas that prohibits someone from attempting to alter or obliterate a serial number. That alone gives them PC to seize the item.

19. Noah*

Noah*

Auto Theft Task Force

20. TERPU

TERPU

That number looks Sketchy, but that's beside the point. Go ask for the Chief and start barking up the higher branches. That whole train is BS. The Cop is probably just being cautious but who knows what the motivation is. There is no way your car should be impounded and if the engine is stolen then remove it and let them have it ASAP. Don't let the car sit in impound any longer than needed. You might be suprised with a bunch of fees when you do finally get it. Have a Lawyer in your back pocket when you go see the Chief.

All the best,

Tim

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The problem is the defaced number. I doubt anyone can prove it's stolen, but it's easy to prove it's defaced. Not familiar with Texas state law, but if defacing the number is illegal in Texas, then they might be able to confiscate the block based on that. But I can't see how they could not allow you to remove every part beyond the bare block, unless they can prove all the internals, heads, etc. are also serial numbered to the defaced block.
    Sounds like an easy case for any competent lawyer to win to me.

22. Noah*

Noah*

Do you know of a good webpage of hand that explains that? I need to print it out

23. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Yeah, cops are pigs...until they find a motor or car that was stolen from YOU and you get your ride back...then what are they?

24. Holy shit, man! Lawyer up, pronto! Something ain't right here. This stinks to high heaven. Time for you to raise a stink of your own...and make lots of noise about it!!!

They have got to prove it's stolen and that engine number is NOT a serial number!! The fact that they are letting you take anything off of it proves they are full of shit.

Get a lawyer and get your car and motor back!! If it's stolen then demand that they arrest you!!

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like a good excuse to upgrade to a 327

26. dcs13

dcs13

You're screwed:
    Texas Penal Code
    31.11. TAMPERING WITH IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS. (a) A
    person commits an offense if the person:
    (1) knowingly or intentionally removes, alters, or
    obliterates the serial number or other permanent identification
    marking on tangible personal property; or
    (2) possesses, sells, or offers for sale tangible
    personal property and:
    (A) the actor knows that the serial number or
    other permanent identification marking has been removed, altered,
    or obliterated; or
    (B) a reasonable person in the position of the
    actor would have known that the serial number or other permanent
    identification marking has been removed, altered, or obliterated.
    (b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this
    section that the person was:
    (1) the owner or acting with the effective consent of
    the owner of the property involved;
    (2) a peace officer acting in the actual discharge of
    official duties; or
    (3) acting with respect to a number assigned to a
    vehicle by the Texas Department of Transportation and the person
    was:
    (A) in the actual discharge of official duties as
    an employee or agent of the department; or
    (B) in full compliance with the rules of the
    department as an applicant for an assigned number approved by the
    department.
    (c) Property involved in a violation of this section may be
    treated as stolen for purposes of custody and disposition of the
    property.
    (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (e) In this section, "vehicle" has the meaning given by
    Section 541.201, Transportation Code.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  27. Lots of stuff going on here...doesn't sound like LEO knows the title manual.

The Texas DMV Title Manual (Ch 13) states that;

Motor Number - applies to ALL vehicles produced before 1956 EXCEPT Ford vehicles produced after March 30, 1932.
    Frame Number - applies to Fords produced from March 31, 1932 - 1948 model year AND Caddilacs from 1956-1967 model year. All others use body number as number of record.

The issue here is you're trying to get a bonded title on an assembled vehicle - a Model T would have used the motor number as the VIN (whether it has a frame or body number matters not - the number of record is the Motor #). You should have obtained a bonded title with the original motor number, then filed for a corrected title with the new motor number. In the eyes of the law you are trying to title an assembled vehicle and will be subject to greater scrutiny; The bonded title procedure is for vehicles which have lost titles or ownership records that cannot be established - not vehicles assembled from various parts (it sucks, but it is what it is).

Once this is settled, your best bet would be to pursue the Street Rod title route - see my post on the subject here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736216

In the mean time, you don't need a lawyer - go see a JP, lay out your paperwork, and obtain a court order to get your motor back. Point out to the JP that the title manual states: The State of Texas recognizes a Bill of Sale for the two component parts not bearing the VIN. Valid evidence of ownership for the component part bearing the VIN consists of the following: Title, Out of State Registration Receipt (for non-title states), or Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) in the case of a prefabricated body or frame. If those documents cannot be obtained, or the original manufacturer's VIN has been removed or obliterated, you must secure a Court Order or Tax Assessor-Collector hearing establishing rightful ownership of said component part.

You have 2 things going for you; first, the 1956 motor number (obliterated or not) is not a DMV-recognized VIN. Since the motor number in this case is not the number of record, you only need a bill of sale to provide "sufficient evidence of ownership". Since you do not have a legitimate VIN at this point (Model T would be titled by motor number - 56 Chevy by body number) you can obtain a court order for an assigned VIN.

If in doubt, call Austin DMV office and ask for the General Counsel's office.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Don't waste ANY time - go pull the engine no matter what it takes. You hot rod will be fucked by the time you get it back. Just take it out, take the accessories off and call it good - then tow the car home.

I've had two cars stripped AFTER they were impounded! Impounded once when I ran out of gas late at night and once when my car was stolen for a joy ride and found NOT damaged - UNTIL it was in the impound lot!

The engine is only worth a few hundred. BTW, it looks like rust to me too.

29. Homemade44

Homemade44

That information is in the Chassie Parts and Accessories book that the dealerships had. It may be in the front of the service manuals, not sure of that. Don't know of a web site with that information.

The numbers on your engine are not the original numbers. They are not stamped in the same direction as the original numbers were.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  30. Larry T

Larry T

Don,
    The second row of numbers on the engine pad are a partial VIN. They started doing that in 1963. They can tie the engine to a certain vehicle (that's how a numbers matching car can be checked, one engine only for one car). I had a customer that bought an engine and had it installed (thank goodness I didn't do that job) and it came back stolen. He had to pull it out and the original owner got it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.