Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thank you Lincoln, Nebraska

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49worktruck, Aug 9, 2013.

1. 49worktruck

49worktruck

Jim & I were heading to Bonneville to run the bike when the truck overheated and blew a head gasket. So here we are on Avenue O in Lincoln Nebraska when this guy pulls up offering help. We take him up on a ride to the auto parts store for a head gasket, well no good today but they can have a set in the morning. We trade names and Dave offers up his garage so we can make the gasket change, he pushes his 55 Chevy project and his buddies 32 Ford sedan out of the way to make room for us. Long story short the head is cracked, so Dave puts out the word and before you know it Dave, Herb, Larry and Dave#2 are calling all over Nebraska looking for a head. They locate one but it's missing a valve and spring, we figure we can make it work so we head out to get it. It's located at Chuck Spanel's engine shop, Chuck says he'll put everything on hold and stay late to get the head ready, he does a total rebuild on the head and finishes it up at 9:00 pm. Herb picks us up at the hotel and we get the head back to Dave's shop. Larry picks us up in the morning and runs us down to the parts store for the gasket set. Jim and I put the truck back together and we're back on the road by 10:30 am. Is this long winded? Yes. Does it need to be? Yes. So, to Dave Weiand who stopped and asked if we needed help, opened up his shop to us, lent me his truck so we could find a room for the night and assembled a crew to help us. To Herb Twiehaus who manned the phones and made three 30 mile round trips to Chucks shop one with Dave #2 Wilson and his dog Flick, and Larry Higgins who picked us up at the hotel and ran us down to the parts store and back to Dave's. I needed to let the readers know that without these guy's we would have been SOL and driving a rental car home. The truck ran good all the way home, Bonneville will wait till next year. If your in the area check out Spanel Engines, Inc., Lincoln Nebraska. Super clean organized shop.

Thanks again, it was like hitting the lottery.

Dwight schneider likes this.
  2. they all sound like great guys , and this is exactly how the old car hobby should be, full of gearheads ready to help each other out .

3. gold03

gold03

That is the best thing I've heard in a while. My daughter lives in Lincoln. She is a long way from "home". It feels good knowing there are people like that around.

4. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

Great folks out that way! Love to hear stories like that!

What engine you running in your F-4? Still flat?

5. 49worktruck

49worktruck

Ford 400/C6, very thirsty

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

having lived in Lincoln for 5 or so years I can honestly say its a great spot to brake down haha. Doesn't hurt having a decent speed shop in town ;)

glad you got it all worked out and made it home safe :)

7. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Now that's America.

Elwood

8. Bill,
    Just wanted to add to this that we all missed you and Jim at my shop lunch party for the Bones group and out at bonneville. I was really looking forward to seeing your bike with the new frame and upgrades. All your hard work on it will have to wait another year now.
    Sure makes me proud to be a cornhusker with all the help you received from the Lincoln guys. When Ken told me you were broke down there I told him I could hook you up with friends and a place to work on it, but he told me you had it under control and had met some great people to help out.
    I was glad to hear you made it home with no more problems and your bonneville calendars are on the way as I sent them with Billy O.

Mayor Dennis

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Great story about the way things should always be...

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Good people in the midwest, I lost my trailer tires in the middle the nite, middle of nowhere on the way to Bellville Kanas for Midget Nationals, back in 79. I wish I could remember the names involved, People went way over and above to get us back on the road, people got out of bed, opened their shop ,etc. And on top of that The $$$ involved was very reasonable.I could not thank them enough. I think it says good things about our country and the next generation, from the post I've replied to. John

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Glad ya found some good help.
    Us Nebraska people are pretty good for the most part!

12. Veronyn

Veronyn
    from kansas

Exactly how things should be! Thanks for sharing the story, sometimes it is nice to know that there is still people who live and breathe and won't complain about helping a stranger out. Glad you had a great experience.

13. I heard from Keith that you had issues. Glad it worked out. Sounds kind of like my trip home from the salt!

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No temp gauge?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes that doesn't help when they heat up all too quick due to another issue.

It's good to see that there are good folks out there who will jump in and help get a guy going and even call in more help if needed.

16. 19Ardun46

19Ardun46

I've known all these guys that helped you out for years, and they indeed are some of the best old car guys around. They have even helped me out a time or too. Glad everything worked out ok for you!

17. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Its either too hot or too cold or too windy to do anything else in Nebraska so why not help these guys out???? You know when the shit hits the fan blade (radicals flying airplanes into tall buildings) where does the President of the United States go for protection??? Omaha, Nebraska. We were all brought up that way, we just have to act that way more often. Thanks guys for stepping up to the plate.

Regards
    Greg Hornbostel

18. ...And this is fascinating thing about middle America; when disasters strike, there's no great pubic outcry; no Hollywood actors rushing to help; no rockstar charity benefit concerts; no protests in the streets - just neighbor helping neighbor. Salt of the earth folk!