Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock Demons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang6147, Aug 13, 2013.

1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Ya, I took it all apart.... Its all clean now....AGAIN!!!!

Here is the cause..... The filter was rattling around in the case, which it is not supposed to do. I used a razer blade, and gently cut it apart.... I am shocked at how dirty the filter is.

I use a fuel cell, no sponge. I look at the bottom, and it all looked clean, now there is some crud.... I must have got some bad gas somewhere.... Probably Giant eagle....... I know my Super Duty burns it like water so I use it in my 40 and only BP in my SD... either way, I am gonna do that filter as well...

The center element should have been attached to the green on either sides attached to the housing....

I want to reiterate, how minute these strands where.... if it weren't for the magnetic point, I wouldn't have seen them.

Attached Files:

2. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Dude really? how often do you change your filter? I have better looking filters on my lawn tractor. You get what you pay for with those cheap ass plastic China filters for $3.99

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I normally change them twice a year, but like I said.... I got some bad gas here.....

I am starting to feel uncomfortable... its like your a queer lurking in the dark alley waiting to jump me.....

Are you OK??? Will you be my friend ????? I feel bad for you since you have none. I cant friend you, and I feel bad, cuz you have no friends....

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. papastoyss

papastoyss

Does your fuel cell have an opening in the top? If so I'd try swishing a strong magnet like a radio speaker magnet on a coat hanger around the tank bottom to see if there is any of the metal in the tank.

5. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

As pretentious as you sound I'm really shocked that that fuel filter was so dirty. Own it!!!

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I do own it, I posted it.... Now, will I be your first friend? :D

7. Play nice !!

Holy crap that is one nasty filter
    So the filter is shedding its steel mesh.

8. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I am assuming since the filter is less then this summer old that 1- I got bad gas. 2- I do add a lot of sea foam to the gas, could that have broken down the glue? 3- Perhaps the filter was made at the end of a shift on Friday???

Honestly I got nuthin.... The plastic was a little yellow when I put it in. I remember thinkin how nice it would be if it where clear.... It was a WIX filter.... I installed another wix this one is more clear...

Things I don't know.... How it got so awefull dirty. and why the glue that holds the element in place broke down.... I guess I will see if it happens again.

9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

You know what? That's a great idea. My son was a mechanic at a For dealer and now he builds cranes.... I have his tools here and the key :eek:. He has a couple big magnets on telescoping rods..... I am gonna do that...

I wonder if he will be mad if I don't put it back ????

10. The fuel additives degrade it?
    The dirt may be coming from the decomposition of the element?

I'm just guessing here but something is horribly wrong between the tanker truck and your carb if that is a newer filter.

11. slammed

slammed

That psi of 4.5 should be on the do list for these carbs. Sounds (reads) like you should cleanse/purge the fuel tank as well. At least it was not on the interstate in the middle of Bum-Fook East-Whata-mucka!

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Oh ya.... It was a new filter in March? when I rebuilt the carb.... I was having rich issues. I found someone went through this carb, and there where many issues..... I resolved them all with a lot of studying. Like I said in those posts. I can build a Holley from parts.... Edelbrock is a whole new thing....

This filter sure deteriorated fast, but here is what I found in the tank.....

I think I did get some bad gas, coupled with an inferior filter.... Wala!!

Attached Files:

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

4.5 is the minimum for this carb to operate properly.... I have seen a lot of engines get damaged from a lean mixture....

I am gonna check my guage at my buddies shop, to see if its on or not. Most gauges have a level of inaccuracy.... Its just real hard to fathom that for many years a Rochester or carter or Holley would come out of the factory, with a mechanical pump and no regulator. I do take into consideration that yesterdays gas had different properties, and todays fuel is different for many reasons including high pressure pumps....and volatility rates changed because of that... Kinda like a radiator cap if you will for gas...But That's a whole nother thing.... I would like my psi to be at no more then 7 but, I have no dripping and no rich issue either. That is as long as I can keep crap out of my carb...

14. Any problem adding a regulator to cut pressure to about 5psi when using a diaphragm pump? I think my Edelbrock carb is getting too much pressure too, about 7psi from a sbc Holly diaphragm pump. similar symptoms to OP's.

thanks

15. That crap is getting thru your pump too.
    Many OEM pumps do have a return line so the out put pressure is controlled via internal regulation, and a designed flow thru the return line. Plug up the line and the pressure will go up. l Some pumps have an internal by pass to regulate pressure. These work well until they don't or when the pump is full of small steel wires.

One of two things really should happen with fuel pressure, fuel delivery, and carb tuning. The first is to follow the manufactures recommendations.
    The other is that you design your own carbs, circuits, jets and tuning recommendations, along with pressure requirements.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  16. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

You can put a regulator inline. No big deal. Read the tech article by edelbrock 404... I posted earlier

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Here is what I found.....

I drove my truck last night for a long time. Parked it because I also changed the thermostat.... I am havin issues keeping this thing at 180 degrees as well.....

I did some stuff came back in a few hours. went back out and cruised till the wee hours.... got on it, I have no issue's.... so dirt was the culprit....

I have found that the same metal objects or particles are in my gas tank, I normally fill my 40 up with giant Eagle fuel perks....Well I also did the magnet in the tanks.... Same crap .... I don't normaly fill my SUperDuty up there cuz it doesn't like the gas.... SO BP is all I use in it...

I also have the metal crap in my lawnmower gas.... SO its clear where I got it from... I know Giant Eagle uses higher ethanol....SO perhaps the dirty fuel, High ethanol and my adding SeaFoam al together was what ate the fuel filter glue.....

The new filter is not perfectly clear, but clear enough to see.... SInce I blew the lines out, and reasonably cleaned the tank..... Its still clean.....

18. Still, I would buy a better filter and trash the plastic crap.

19. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I would agree here too. If you want to see the fuel that is being fed into the carb go with one of those glass fuel filters that you can change the fuel filter when it is dirty. Fuel filters need to be changed every year. The gas that we are getting from our filling stations really isn't what it use to be.
    Jay

20. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I am using a WIX filter.... Yea its plastic. I can see through it.... What alarms me right now about the Mr Gasket glass filter is, Its a screen type. and right now, I think paper will filter out finer particulates....before the screens in the back side of the seats....

I also agree filters need changed at least once a year... The one I took out was put in in March..... SO I figure This one for a month or so then make a decision....

What other glass ones have you seen...

21. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Try a glass sediment bowl to catch crud and drop in a couple strong rare earth magnets to catch metal until it all clears up. Just a thought?

Attached Files:

22. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

P.S.I. guage is off by 1.75.... SO that's in the trash....

Drove it around town here....Did the magnet all around the fuel cell, till I got nothing. The filter is clear. It runs great. Like before.....

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Glad you got it sorted out.