Register now to get rid of these ads!

Doane Spencer Thunderbird(s) on the block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

One of the greatest craftsmen who ever lived.
    It was this T-Bird that opened my eyes to the fact that Hot Rodding isn't just about hacking and slashing,or simple bolt-on speed parts.
    Engineering,or "Imagineering" is as important to building cars as quick and dirty wrenching skills.
    This car,and Doane's Deuce in my eyes,have elevated the level of craftsmanship to an art form.

3. The Valley Custom connection is timely. I tend to stay up late at the KOA in Wendover and end up meeting some interesting folks. This year the conversation went late into the night with one of Winfields guys and Neil Emory's son. The stories were awesome. I have always been a Valley Custom fan and a fan of Doane's bird!

4. n847

n847

Didn't the original (reffered to as the second version in this story) have bumper guards. Those made the car!

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

Here's another shot:

Attached Files:

6. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Interesting there were basically 2 of these made.
    Funny how the second one is almost more original then the first!
    TP

7. Hyfire

Hyfire

The "clone" car has the frame, so isn't that what is supposed to decide the VIN? Technically? Or not?

What a shame, no matter who did it.

As to the question... Buy both and convert it back to one car. :0)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

No wheel looks better on t-birds than Halibrands - he nailed it perfectly. Love that car so much.

9. BCR

BCR

I would definately take the "clone" or second car.

10. verde742

verde742

Ask somebody who really KNOWS was his name pronounced Do-ANE as in Do-aine

or was it Doane as in Do- own?

thanks,

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Doan rhymes with tone, own, shone, flown, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

12. He was our chief, race team, mechanic at Hollywood Sport Cars.
    Doan, tone, own, shone.........Never asked about the name, but he's the only Doane I ever met, and rightly so. A man as unique as his name

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I have always preferred the full-front-bumper/original grill version. There's something about that spare amount of factory chrome, with those original Halibrands that just sets the car off as being here for business.
    And business is good!

-Brad

14. the version with the smoothed front bumper looks better in my eye. It looks lower and more Sports carish, which to me is what that car was all about ~ while the non bumper version looks more"Custom" to me.
    it was the "model" for my T bird.
    [​IMG]

15. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Oh I think I would like either one. I just can't my big body behind the wheel and would have to trade the deed to my house to get either in my garage.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

In my opinion, the second one looks too street roddish. It's almost too refined for what it's supposed to be. The original has all the rough edges you'd expect in a car built for performance.

I could see the owner of the second one buying a cup holder for it.:D Performance cars shouldn't make concessions for bullshit.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  17. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original themed one is a beautiful car - I personally dont care for the updated version.

The car is a shorter bodied 55, not a 57.

18. TERPU

TERPU

The original version, anything Doane Spencer built is a study in automotive engineering so the second one is cool as well. But for looks the first one.

Tim

19. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Doane's work NEVER had any "rough edges". He was the penultimate engineer and a fastidious detail guy.

20. Who was the last engineer and fastidious detail guy?

21. thanks for mor pix of this car
    our 57 has many of the traits seen on the first version .open wheel wells .. elongated hood scoop , relocated racing gas filler, sport mirrors ... purist Tbird owners cringe ..and start pickin and pointing...when we park amongst them (seldom)..we climb out over the doors and ignore em

22. Either one of them qualifies for the title "Boss Bird" if you ask me......... Spencer was truly one of the best car builders of any era. Hotrods or sports cars - either one.

The later version looks a lot like the competition Sunbeam "Tigers" he built to kick Shelby's butt (reportedly won 6 out of 7 head to head).

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like the original. The second one to me, based on the pictures, looks like a fiberglas car.

24. Hee Hee....love it:D

25. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I sure do like the one with the bumpers. its the only T bird I ever liked.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

I remember seeing a short article in Hot Rod about the buildup of the newer car.The man not only had an incredibly keen eye for composition,but the skill level to machine several major components on the car from scratch.
    It really opened my eyes to what's possible when you go the extra mile building a car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. The one with the bumpers is my favorite. Such a mean car.

28. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

first one.
    It does have a good look.
    But what I've always admired about the car was under the hood. The way he treated the heads and intake, the handmade headers, and mounting the battery under the car in the rear by the back axle. The Jag (I think) trans. A great amount of of work that he made appear easy. And tasteful. He also started with something pretty good from the factory that year.

29. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Here is link to the Doane Spencer Custom Convertible being sold in a couple weeks:

http://auctionsamerica.com/events/f...=&grouping=Kirk F. White Collection&category=

It will be sold on Friday August 30th in Auburn, Indiana as a part of the HUGE annual Auburn Fall Collector Car Auction (1200 cars!). The car is selling at NO RESERVE, which means it will be sold to the highest bidder. You can bid in person, online, absentee or by phone. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the car or the auction.

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember seeing a number of writeups on the car back when he seemed to be constantly making changes on it and running it hard to boot. For many of us in our mid/late 60's who read Hot Rod Magazine when we were teenagers it is one car that has stuck in our minds over the years.