Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sometimes Old is better than new - 1932

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Best of all would be the red one after forty years' proper maintenance, no?

That would be patina. Like this is patina:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C5yu-3pjhCA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    From the Cyclecars thread, where I also said, "The appearance that the remaining half of something has just been dug out of a swamp is not patina."

The only thing non-traditional about this is the 17" rear wheels. On 15" wheels all round it would be early-mid '60s definitive.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  2. LYNN, MY over a decade old, 60 + thousand mile, rock chipped rod will be leaving SAT AM for a third trip to the west coast with 8 other 32s. Hope to see you in P-town. Henry

Attached Files:

3. I like hot rods,,painted or unpainted,,I like them both and would be happy to have both in my garage. HRP

4. alchemy

alchemy

Red is so over-rated.

Attached Files:

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would check out both of those '32s . If the red one has 3pedals and vintage driveline, I'd drool over both , not to keen on 17" wheels though. I've been brushing in stone chips on my 50 year old paint for 40 years ; most "car" guys ask me when I'm going to repaint her... not gonna happen!

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The doane spencer Roadster is just perfect! Just how a real Hot Rod should be old or new!

As for Patina, it is only cool when its on a car that has survived from 'back in the day', the cars built today and then 'patinaed' are a joke.
    The red roadster is closer to a mid 60s build but has obvious concessions to usability, still a cool car and at least its used like a Hot Rod should!

Doc.

7. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Hell,,,I'm not picky, I'll take both and drive them on alternating days.

8. Traditional 30's, traditional 40's, traditional 50's, traditional 60's. Both those cars fit one of these groups. I like late 50's early 60's. But they all need paint. Rust and so called patina are something from the 2000's. Hot rods were never about being ratty for me.

9. Rattleon

Rattleon
    from Idaho

"Better"...kind of a loaded question. I guess for me it's knowing that a car has been-there-done-that....it's got "soul" if you will. Same goes for the pieces/parts on a car. I like nothing better than an unmolested survivor, but not many out there and not always practical as drivers! There's lots of repop fake patina cars out there now and that's cool, just not my thing, so unless it has a presentable original finish it gets paint!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. They both have their place :cool:

11. Only in the Magazines did they all shine with paint. Out in the real world, most young guys couldn't afford paint and when they could they would but its not like you didn't see alot without shiney paint.. Primer would do.

12. [​IMG]
    A perfct example. 1956 Vancouver BC.

13. Primer would do, yes. Rust and used up paint, no. We took some pride in what we had.

And, in the Antelope Valley, in the late fifties and early sixties, cars got painted. Just like it should be today. Might take a few years, might take a group of friends, sanding and buffing, but we got it done. We had to, rat rods hadn't been invented yet. We were not going to drive a car that looked like we just pushed it out of a junkyard. It was different time, I guess. Different standards. Street rods hadn't been invented, either, so we didn't have parents with them to rebel against. It was a simpler and better time.

I'm not trying to argue with any one. I just don't get the resentment to shiny paint. Or finished interior. I don't get choosing grubby.

14. Those guys would be way over 70 now. I bet if you asked them, they'd say, that was a work in progress. I'm certain they didn't consider that a finished car.

Ehh, you found a pic in a magazine. That PROVES we older fellas don't know shit. Must be the Alzheimer's disease kicking in.

15. Actually this is my Dads best friend and still is. This isn't out of a magazine. A couple years later he bought a 1956 Vicky and lowered the crap out of it. If you couldn't push a pack of smokes with the front bumper , you weren't cool. Different area, different town . Different styles I guess. They didn't have Ratrods, they had Jalopies!!! Same family. They cars people seem to remember are the ones they see in magazines but for $25 you wouldn't get a show quality painted Model A , you'd get a beater and fix it while you drove it, until the next car came about and your wages went up. Then that $40 car was even better, and man, what you could do with $200 back in the day!! Hell a complete Columbia 2 speed rear would be $45!! You could by a used Show car 32 for $700 . That was big money to most. Most people I talk to usually drove the Jalopies .

[​IMG] This picture was on the way back from the Arlington Drag strip where on the way home 130 miles it rained!! Not all cars were shiney and magazine quality. My point is that most young guys couldn't afford nice shiney paint nor were they all magazine quality. !!! Period!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  16. Muttley

Muttley

17. Exactly! And ya won't see a dozen of 'em at a show.

18. 2racer

2racer

it's ok to like either one or both of them, really you don't have to get your panties in a bunch either way....geez

19. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Henry, I will be looking for you and your red hiboy.

20. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I don't think you would have an argument on Bruce's car but my point is old versus new builds. Doane's roadster has long been the top one on my list but has been brought up to today's standards by SO-CAL and it is perfect. I want one of each in my garage. When Bruce drives the car around LA the crowds form in masses.

21. 73super

73super

I'd actually prefer something in between the two.. Not all dolled up.. but not left crusty either. I like patina.. If I was leaning towards one or the other I guess the crusty one.

22. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Seems a lot of people in this thread are mixing up traditional looking for old looking.

I suspect back in the day anyone owning the patina'd version would happily swap for the red version.

Personally I like both but would make changes to each.

23. There! That's it. I agree, totally...

24. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Guess which one-

I'm always amazed at the gathering my 31
    Still attracts. Original Patina Red Oxide faded
    The slight rot on the right drip rail and above
    the right quarter panel reminds me of
    Seeing (at 5 years old ) the A up against
    Mr Wilson's beach Bungalow on its left side and the
    Right side being exposed to the elements.

Just me.

25. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I think the red one needs the wheels and tires off the old one. But someone else said it they both have there place.

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chili Phil, I agree with you 100%. I drive a '32 Highboy that looks very similar to the one being villified, but I don't give a shit about opinions. They are like assholes, everyone has one, but some stink more than others. That said, let it be known that my Highboy will be seen on a trailer if it craps out enroute to or coming from an event, thanks to AAA. That is the ONLY time it will happen. My 69 year young "trophe wife" of 43 married years is responsible for my having a pot to piss in. IF the car gets cleaned, it is because WE TWO do it, if it even happens. I built it after going to Cal. and seeing so many running around town, tops off or non-existent, cruising the streets in that so fine So.Cal. weather. Texas doesn't offer the same pristine weather, so I cruise when I can. I love all old rods, stock or otherwise, ESPECIALLY '32s and '40s. Enough jaw-jacking.