Register now to get rid of these ads!

rebuilt ford 260 v8 smokes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldschool1, Aug 14, 2013.

1. so, i have my freshly rebuilt ford 260 v8 is still smoking. I think I've got about 750 miles on it. It is embarrassingly smoking.. HELP! what do i do?

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Are you positive it's internal? Black & White smoke?

3. Go back to the guy that rebuilt it and tell him to make it good! HRP

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

What about it is rebuilt? Bottom end? Heads? Valves?

5. Where I'm from rebuilt means just that rebuilt,,everything! HRP

6. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

What color smoke? Lingering black or white smoke? Can you post a video? When is the smoke present? Under heavy acceleration, idle or no matter what the engine is doing?

7. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Is it dual exhaust? One pipe smoke more than another? If you can narrow it down that way you can pull the plugs on that bank and look for oil burning plugs.
    That way when you contact the builder you can say " it smoke bad and cylinders three and four plugs have oil on them", for example.
    Faced with this kind of evidence what else can he say but pull it out and bring it back?

8. smoke is blueish in color. present during idle. gets worse under hard acceleration. rebuild is top to bottom. heads, bottom end. color is blueish. exhaust is dual with an x pipe. will check plugs again. last i looked they were clean

9. blueish smoke is OIL! i would do a leak down test

10. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Also, what type of ignition and fuel system are you running? Sometimes blueish smoke can be rich running.

11. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

It can't burn that much oil for long without it showing up on the plugs.
    If you can narrow it down to x cylinders then you sound like you know what you're talking about when you call the builder.

12. Leak down test for sure. Give the dipstick (the one on the car..) a sniff to see if the oil is contaminated with gas... always do the cheap and easy stuff first. Any smoke out of the breather?

Bob

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Be sure to check valve guides and seals..........common place for SBF to let oil pass into combustion chamber.

SBC too, for that matter.

14. That would show mainly on de-acceleration, but worth a look. I've seen sets that were not seated all the way, cracked or not installed... that would account for the gross amount of smoke on acceleration.

Bob

15. Go back to the guy that built the engine,, a fresh engine should not smoke. HRP

16. xrosczech

xrosczech

Valve seals would be my guess, Arg that is irritating...

17. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

After spending more years than I care to admit in the auto industry, rebuilt doesn't mean everything was redone. There are way too many definitions for "rebuilt."

If the plugs are clean and it is smoking blue as bad as you say, it has to be oil coming down the exhaust guides and out (burning in the hot exhaust manifolds). That's the only way I have ever seen lots of smoke with clean plugs. Loose or knurled exhaust guides or worn exhaust valve stems would be my guess.

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

A correct rebuild means everything but the casting numbers !

4TTRUK

19. JoeyP.

JoeyP.

Dont know if this is your situation, but I have heard instances where some people line up all the piston ring gaps in a straight line, instead of clocking them.

20. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Maybe your exhaust is full of oil, from prior to the rebuild. You would think 750 would burn it all out!
    I think you will find your engine builder is the problem.

21. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

What kind of rings did you use and was the cylinder bored and honed? I always use non detergent oil for break in oil, what did you use? I also use cast iron rings as they seem to seal much better than other types of rings.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rebuilt means everything. There is only one definition. Anybody using the term, in any other way, is just wrong.

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True. But I've heard people use "rebuild" to describe everything from a total blueprint overhaul to a spray can repaint.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too. Repetition of the wrong, does not ever make it right.

25. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

If it's oil smoking as bad as you say, you should be down a quart or so. What's the dipstick say?

Jack E/NJ

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If the PCV valve is plumbed in wrong, that will cause the problem too. I have seen instances where the engine has aftermarket valve covers, and they are not baffled to cover the PCV valve. That will cause the oil from the rocker arms to be sucked into the engine causing lots of smoke. Check the obvious before condeming the engine rebuild

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bon Ami tuneup. :)

28. sounds like they broke a ring putting it together do a compression test on it .could also be the cam bearings if they werent changed. just a thought :(

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  29. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

rebuilt vs remanufactured

I don't consider the definitions iron clad by any stretch.

FWIW I've heard the difference explained this way from time to time for about 50 years, usually by the guy selling "remanufactured" parts.
    http://www.jasperengines.com/about-remanufactured-engines.php
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JFBT9XMm-0
    http://www.demanddetroit.com/pdf/press/pr-2005-09-07a.pdf

When I "rebuild" something I consider re-using parts within factory "wear limits" when available. So I guess it is safe to say the life this time around is likely not going to be as long as if a like new part was used.

Despite the marketing pitch some of the parts in "rebuilt" assemblies can be pertty bad. A buddy got some re-somethinged calipers for his 76 Corvette. One of the bead blasted pistons was missing a lot of material due to corrossion. The seal groove was sort of intact, so I guess it probably would have worked.

30. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Can we add "refreshed" and "reconditioned" and "redone" to the list of definitions?