Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock Demons

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustang6147, Aug 13, 2013.

1. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Here it is.... I studied and studied, then rebuilt the carb over last winter. Learned a lot about edelbrocks carbs. Been cruising. Engines been makin good power, that is till tonight....

I start my truck, let it idle for 5 while I lock the house. I cruise up the road, not hard. I am in my neighborhood. 25 mph. Engine sounds good.

Taking off from the third stop sign, I enter a 35 zone, so I roll a little more throttle, but this time a bog, stutter..... then go. It never does this.

So I turn up another street, to head back so I can give it a once over. Next stop sign, bigger studder...... I lay into it, she runs great, perhaps crap in the needle. She runs good then slowly gets worse.... I get home the engines loading up.... rpms dropping...... I pop the side cowl, take off the Air cleaner...... Gas is drippin from the right side venture..... ( not good )

I goose it a little its clear for a while then back to drippin. SO I shut it off, Now its pouring in......I mean fillin her up!!! I don't want to wash the walls so I start the engine back up ( wide open throttle till she fires ) then let it idle while I get a small vice grip to pinch the fuel line. Did the pinch, then pulled it in the garage. Let it run till stalled out from starvation.

Tomorrow when the engine is cool, I guess I pop the top off the carb....

I have a plastic fuel filter, I am wandering if the glue that holds the element in is breaking down..... It seems to be a needle / seat issue. Fresh rebuild. perhaps 100 miles on it. I doubt any wear

2. jcs64

jcs64

sounds like just a little junk got between the needle and seat, no big deal, just clean it out and you should be good to go.

Ive never worked on an Edlebrock carb, but my latest build has one so im sure ill be learning soon

jeff

3. If you have a doubt about the filter toss it and put on another.

4. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

That's what I am gonna do anyways.

I had a flathead, and was runnin a plastic fuel filter. I bought it from twilightzone.... That was probably the last part I ever bought from them.

The glue broke down from the gas, and sent little white particles into the carb. It played hell.

I am gonna take the top off, the engine is cool enough.... I am expecting white particles....

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

check your oil dip stick for the smell of gas - might need to change it.

6. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Well here is an interesting find....

I pulled the top, dis-assembled the floats. No debri. Float bowls also clean. I blew air through the inlet, and it shot out the seat area. Nothing in the white rag.....

So I re-assembled, and checked the float levels. All good.... SO, ( I hate not finding the definitive culprit ) Undid the torqs screws and slid the metering rod covers to the side, I noticed..... The spring that is around the rightside metering rod is not in its proper position.... You know how it has that hitch on the end that fits in the groove of the metering rod to keep it in place....

Could that have caused the issue??? its on the right side. same as the fuel flowing in the venture...That is the only thing I found not right!

I am gonna take it out for a cruise yet tonight

I did check the oil. Thanks for reminding me..... This is a real low mileage engine. I don't want to waste it....

7. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doubtful that's the issue. Try dropping the float's a 1/16" or so. Sometimes, the float being too high will cause the boosters to piss gas in the venturies. Also, check the floats for bouyancy, that is, do they float? Sometimes a pin hole will cause the floats to fill up and remain in the down position rendering the needle and seat useless.

Just some ideas.

8. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What kind of fuel pump are you running? Is it regulated? What is the pressure?

9. Hey mustang,
    The carb has air bleeds. These can get dirty and plugged up.
    If your air bleeds get plugged the can do a few things.
    First is let junk into the carb. The other thing that can happen is that a plugged air bleed will act as if there is no air bleed. That means there will be no suction break in the fuel passage and just continue to siphon. These bleeds get dirty from sitting around or running without the bottom air cleaner base to carb gasket.

Take a look at those.

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I will look at that in the morning. I just came back from a few mile cruise around Kent. I had no issue's. The exhaust smells nice. New car nice...

I got on it, to actuate the metering rods. I wonder if By me hittin some passages with air, if I had an air bleed plugged, it un-plugged it???

Once again though, the metering rod that wasn't right was on the same side as the venture dripping..... But then again, the siphon issue is real since it really flowed after the engine was shut off....

I hate this!!!! Ergh..... Well I will cruise tomorrow since I am off all week.

Thanks for the response.....

11. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Ya, I did check the floats to see if they had gas in them, they didn't so they probably float...

I also did wiggle the car to see if the venturis dripped, they did not....

I am runnin stock mechanical pump..... It has been good for many miles, I doubt I will need a regulator now..... I think I got it though.... Thanks

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I talked to Edelbrock carb tech. They said a metering rod issue would be more of a mid range, or cruising issue not an idle issue....

He asked about fuel pump, I said stock about 7 psi he said that should be fine.... Ideal is 4.5 bare minimum, and 6.5 at maximum. Carefull not to drop below 4.5 when cruising.....

Perhaps a float just got hung up.... I hate not finding a definite culprit.... I was confident on the metering rod being the flook....

One thing is for sure. Its gonna be on my mind for a while.

14. jcs64

jcs64

im still thinking something got stuck in the needle/ seat, and got dislodged before you found it. No big deal, drive it and enjoy.

one tip ive heard of for a rd side fix, As its running and you see extra fuel dripping in the carb, pinch off the fuel line and let the bowl run out of fuel. This will drop the float and open the needle/ seat wide open to hopefully clear the passage.

jeff

15. upspirate

upspirate

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I find that a bit odd, coming from their tech. The pumps they recommend for most of their carbs is theirs (naturally) and it's rated at 6PSI. Their manuals says between 5 and 5.5PSI is optimal, depending on the one that came with the carb. I run mine at 4.5PSI through a Mr. Gasket regulator (which are said to be off by 1/2PSI), so it's probably at 5PSI. I'll put a gauge on it one day. My mileage seemed to improve, but I don't drive for mileage. I also don't get a slight gas smell that I used to.

From their tech page: "Q: I see fuel dripping from the carburetor boosters at idle, what causes this?
    A: Too much fuel pressure usually causes this and often times dirt in the float bowls can do the same. Make sure your fuel pressure does not exceed 6.0 psi, optimum pressure is 5.5 psi."
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/carb_faq.shtml

Not saying this is causing your troubles, but it's something to consider.

17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Why don't you just install a fuel pressure regulator and set the PSI to 4.5 or 5 PSI like everyone else who runs these Edelbrock carbs and be done with it.

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

as has been said so many times the key to getting along with your Edelbrock is clean carb, use regulator set to 4.5-5 ish, set floats correctly and presto good times.

20. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

In all of my dealings with Edelbrock carbs I have found that two things always seem to cause the trouble--number one is too much fuel pressure--I always have better luck when it does not exceed 5psi--too much, even 6psi and you can have issues. Number two is float level. They are very sensitive to incorrect level and by just shipping one it can be off by a mile. You have level and drop so really, two adjustments. It has to be dead on specs on both--I mean dead on and that is after you are sure about correct inlet pressure. Just my two cents worth

21. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I know, I thought it was Karma last night... I haven't had any issues till this....

My problem is fixed..... It was either a lodged needle and seat, A pugged air bleed, or the spring on the metering rod.....

Everything checked out, tech at edelbrock said next time it happens tap the screw driver head harder on the float bowl.... Its not or wasn't a fuel pressure issue.... I am runnin about 7. Tech said 4.5 minimum.... 6.5 maximum, but since I haven't had any issues its not the problem..

Right now, my exhaust smells like a new car. I am real happy. No bog. No fuel drip. Its perfect......

That's what I am gonna doo JCS

I think it was a plugged air bleed, so thank to Vicky with a hemi for pointing me ...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  22. Every once in a while we have to guess at the source of the problem.
    I also find it quite bothersome when a problem appears to self correct and a solid conclusion really can't be made. Then you need to guess at what fixed it. Lol

That loose spring couldn't have been helping in any way at all. Maybe it was karma that led you to correct it before it caused you really big & expensive troubles.

For the airbleeds, Run a properly fitting gasket between the air cleaner base and the carb.
    Most I see don't even have a gasket let alone one that fits and provides a good seal.

23. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

So I am out cruising for a while last night..... No issue's but after a while my exhaust smell changed to rich.... I noticed it when I parked.....I didn't like it. I headed home....... a slight bog...... Here we go !!!1

This time I opened the carb up..... I got 1 cm strands of steel.... WTF.

I got these strands out of both side float bowls....They are about the thickness of steel wool but perfectly straight and all the same length....

I am gonne buy a new fuel filter, and 1 foot section of fuel line..... It has to be from the filter..... I cant believe its getting through the filter....

I only found these things, because I have a very fine small extended reach needle nose plyers that are magnetic.... When I stuck them in the fuel, and swished - um around, I pulled them out and I was kinda taken back buy them stuck to the end of the plyers.......

24. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Here are some pics of just how small these metal strands are....

The needle nose are much smaller then the pic illustrates. I had to zoom to get the strands.

I wear reading glasses when I work on small things, to be sure I don't miss anything.... I could not see this.... I did check the p.s.i..... a little high.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  25. jcs64

jcs64

hmmm? bristles from a wire brush?
    Did you use a wire brush to scrub the carb down ever?

jeff

26. Tomkat39

Tomkat39

I had same problems with 600cfm Edelb. Put fuel pres.regulator on and ended my problem. From what I've read 7,8 psi is to high .

27. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I did clean the carb. No wire bristle.... I boiled the main body when it was totally dis-assembled in dawn dish soap. I really had a surgical envirement, and have been cruising problem free all summer till this thread.

When I first cleaned it out, it ran great again. The fuel filter is within 12 inches of the carb., so I replaced the filter, and line. So here we go again.... Since it seemed it was getting hung in the needle and seat, the only thing before is the inlet.....

I blew everything out, and here I go again......

This is an intermitant issue, so that rules out fuel psi....

28. upspirate

upspirate

Did you take the seats out? there are screens on the inlet side of them....I forgot to do this and had to take apart again to clean that area.

I had blown through the inlet, but there was still crap against on screen

29. jcs64

jcs64

^^^^^ Huh?

Did these wires used to be those little screens before you blasted them apart w/ air?

Cut open the old filter to see whats in there

jeff

30. upspirate

upspirate

You may have something there Jeff....the wires may have come from the screens.