Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway slimline Bear claw door latches. review/opinions? vs Autoloc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopshop13, Aug 8, 2013.

?
  1. Autoloc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Speedway

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. 54chevy454

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. other..

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. I'm interested to see what people think of the speedway motors slimline beer claw door latches. They look very similar in design to the autoloc ones (direct rip-off).
    They are a hell of a lot cheaper for at least a wee bit, but just how much quality is lost.
    Reviews/opinions people?

2. just after posting that question I found this forum thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620485 by a fellow hamb member who makes and sells what looks like a high-quality product at just right price. Awesome
    so forget the question above, has anybody used the latches by 38chevy454?

3. fms427

fms427

Do NOT buy AutoLock latches :eek: - I have had several of them go bad over the years - appears bad heat treat on the teeth. Have had good luck with Speedway latches .

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I only like the ones with locking mechanisms...

5. I have bought from 38chevy454 and was very satisfied.

It was the real stuff, not Chinese mystery metal.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I use the mini bear claw from Speedway on my steel bucket, I haven't had any problems.

7. mixture of opinions, thats cool. Do 54chevys mini latches have a 2 stage latching mechanism?
    Interesting side question, has anyone had a striker pin fail on them?

8. The mini latch I received from 38chevy454 has two steps. I am using it for my trunk lid along with full size bear claws from the same manufacturer on my doors.

I don't know about the 3/8" strikers on the mini latches; but some on-road heavy equipment we sold used the same brand full size bear claws on the doors and on several units that rolled over the latches and 7/16' strikers did not fail even though there was significant deformation around the attachment points.

9. that is interesting and good to hear, but I was emailing Terry, 54 Chevy, and he said the striker on the mini latch with half an inch. I'll have to doublecheck that. But rich b are you pretty sure about the 3/8 of an inch striker?

10. The 7/16" and 3/8" diameters I mentioned in my post is size of the threaded portion of the
    striker bolts, not the diameter of the portion the latch engages.

11. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376360682.964717.jpg
    Here is the 3/8" threaded striker from the mini compared to the 7/16" striker from a regular size latch.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AutoLoc is the Hoffman Group! STOP BUYING THAT CRAP!

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

For the 42 Chevy I am building for my daughter, I used a kit from Rocky Hinge. A high quality latch, and a great installation kit. I would use them again, very impresed with their products

14. DRD57

DRD57

I have removed Autoloc latches from a customer's car because they didn't stay latched.

I replaced them with latches from 38chevy454. Problem solved.

I always use Terry's latches when the job calls for bear claws. Quality product. Reasonable price.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Was looking at autolocs at a shop years ago. The salesman told me in hushed tones not to buy them, they'd had lots of trouble with them. He said buy Rocky and I'm happy with them.

16. It looks like other is taking the lead in surprisingly speedway is right up there, I had no idea autoloc with a cheap and nastys, they have some glossy marketing that's for sure.
    I am glad I put this thread together.
    Rocky hinge added to the poll. As other,..
    .anybody used any other brands?

17. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

And that's the problem....not everyone knows until you're hard earned money ends up in the bin !
    Hoffman group anything is to be avoided - the company is a complete fuck up and the word needs to be spread !

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

From a 10 second Google search.

"...The Hoffman Group, a supplier of after-market auto parts and based in Portland, Oregon, is beginning to infuriate its customers. The Hoffman Group, a supplier of AutoLoc suspension parts, Zirgo cooling products, Keep It Clean wiring accessories, Stellar auto security systems, Helix suspension/steering/brakes, Aurora gauges, Vintage Parts, and Protocol hot rod products, is being labeled a company with one of the worst after-sales service departments in the nation. A Cleveland Bradley Business staff member is a custom car fanatic who has run afoul of the folks over at The Hoffman Group and is hopping mad. A problem surfaced in regard to an Aurora Instruments speedometer which was purchased from The Hoffman Group eBay store. Red flags should have been heeded up-front when reading the responsibility waiver which basically says they accept none for their products because they believe their customers are idiots. Maybe there is a need for a waiver because the instructions accompanying the gauge were contradictory, confusing, and inaccurate. A call to the support line 503-693-1918 garnered a twenty minute hold, wasted time, and no help. A visit to their website www.thehoffmangroup.com made for a very unhappy customer. The promises made on their eBay store were false, at least as far as the gauges were concerned and the online tech support / customer service was, to be kind to them, nonexistent. Every communication was answered with, "This session is closed." A product is useless if it is damaged due to faulty installation instructions and unreachable customer service."

Wow.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER