Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Little help identifying (2) cars in picture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Famouscarz, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Famouscarz

Famouscarz

Hey Guys,

I'm doing a little research for a project relating to James Dean's 550 Porsche Spyder and wondering if any of you might be able to assist…
    Can anyone identify the two cars in the famous "Final Ride" photo taken at the filling station on his way to the races?
    Obviously a Ford station wagon on the left but what year/model and a Caddy on the right but same question… not cars in my range of familiarity.

A bit of trivia and a link for anyone interested in reading an article about this infamous photo:
    "The fill-up photo you mention was actually taken by Rolf Wutherich, Dean’s mechanic and passenger, with Dean’s own Leica camera. The sturdy Leica survived the accident and Dean’s family had the film developed shortly afterward."
    http://kevinnelson.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/james-deans-last-drive-correcting-the-record/

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. 1955 Ford Country Squire wagon and I don't profess to know everything about Caddys I believe it's a 1955 also. HRP

3. Famouscarz

Famouscarz

(1) DOWN and (1) to go!
    Thanks!

4. upspirate

upspirate

How could he sign the photo if it was developed after he died in the crash???

5. InPrimer

InPrimer

the blk Caddy is a '53-53

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Note the Ford wagon is pulling a trailer; could that be his 'chase car'?

7. Famouscarz

Famouscarz

Yeah no kidding! I just found the photo on the internet... needed to get the cars ID'ed

Thanks Guys!

8. Famouscarz

Famouscarz

Dean's mechanic Rolf Wutherich was following with the Ford and trailer.

9. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it was from a previous trip to the race....

10. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

That signature is obviously fake. Lots of examples on the 'net w/o it.

11. Famouscarz

Famouscarz

ABSOLUTELY guys... I just grabbed it off the internet to ask about the other two cars in the pic.

Got it and Thanks!

12. KarKrazy56

KarKrazy56
    from NJ

50 Chevy Sport Coupe on the road..

13. Seen the pic of him in the garage changing plugs ? Champions - kinda funny....you'd think it would be running Borshe?

14. The story I read was that the Porsche had so few miles on it that Dean was driving it to get it broken in, trailer was for the ride home.

15. Yep, '53 Cad over there. Love the " lil bastard" 550 spyder myself too, but I like those funny furrin cars.

Posted from my office while pretending to work!