Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF/289 Is for 60's HotRods. Don't put WW on it!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaybird60

Jaybird60

This thread had all the makings of a turd, until Deuce Daddy Don polished that sucker into chrome with one post! Killer story Don!!!

2. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Technical? Cobra valve covers were available before cal custom, and they came with alternators in '65.
    My '31 has a '65 289 in it, Keystone valve covers, ManAFre 4x2 intake, and an old magneto... and not that I care what anyone thinks, but its as traditional as 95% of anything else you see.

3. BS,,:mad:,check out all the 60's hot rod magazines,,always someone trying to skew history to what they think it is in their mind! :rolleyes: HRP

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a bit more on original Cobra valve covers & 7 qt. oil pan.
    Look under the Cobra valve covers---If the letters read : Buddy L casting---These are the real thing!--Worth big bucks!

Here's a Cobra catalog they gave when I bought the 260.

Don't whine over these original prices!:D

Attached Files:

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

The first few Gen I Cobras had a 260" with the 289" HiPo solid lifter cam, aluminum 4-bbl and Borg-Warner T10. As mentioned, most were retro-fitted with the 289".

The Sunbeam Tiger came along a few months later with a stock 2-bbl 164hp 260", but with the Ford toploader. The '67 Tigers, built after Mopar bought Rootes, got a 2-bbl 289". Because the Tiger was so easy to modify, it's rare to find a stocker. By the time I sold mine, it had a 250hp 302". When I bought it back twenty-five years later, it still had the same block and crank, but now with aluminum heads and about 300hp.

jack vines

6. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I'm saying SBF & Wide White Walls don't match. It can be done, it just doesn't really match the era. Just a date thing. A real jalopy, might have white walls because of a lack of funds thing, but today with people paying $1000 for WWW's cause they want "The Look" & a lot of the Ford guys start off with a leftover Mustang Motor & build a HotRod around it. SBF HotRods shouldn't have WWW's like a Ford should have a Ford in it. Just My Opinion.

7. the First Tiger had a 2 speed automatic and a recirculating ball steering box. It was only for proof of concept. The first production cars had a Borg Warner 4 speed due to Ford not being able to supply the Top Loader. Not sure how many got the BW T-10 trans, but it was at least 35 cars

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Huh? Wide whites on hot rods was still a popular look well into the SBF era.

[​IMG]

9. PackardV8

PackardV8

You want to get that technical, the first two prototypes were never badged, registered or called Tigers, just Alpines with an engine swap to prove a SBF would fit. The second modified Alpine got a rack and pinion steering.

FWIW, the Tiger was always just a modified Alpine, built on the same assembly line by the same guys. However, the Tiger Club guys hate, loathe and despise anyone who swaps his own SBF into an Alpine. The car can end up identical mechanically and in appearance, but they have a "Certified Inspection" which will prove whether the engine swap was done by Rootes or by an individual.

jack vines

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

221 introduced late '61 for '62 model year. 260 introduced mid-'62. 289 introduced '63. Lots of hot rods still wearing wider whitewalls at least through the HAMB cut off of '65.

Historically, there were probably a number of people who put the then-new thin-wall Fords into white-walled hot rods. One can have a preference but to say it is historically incorrect is, well, historically incorrect! :)

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Not to mention the "Full House Cobra-354 HP!" blurb right there on the cover!

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm so lost in all of this. My head hurts.

13. It is interesting and has been that way for years. When I had my Tiger in 1975 I remember guys saying things like the sub frames were beefed up on Tiger's, the front suspension pick up points had been relocated, things like this. From what I know the Rack & Pinion, bigger radiator, and the firewall to fender well struts and the dents in the inner fenders were the only real changes, other than badging and the lower rocker stinless trim. It seemed to me at the time it was to keep people from making Alpine V8's and to hold them in lower esteem. Kind of like what we used to call Porsche swaps - they weren't 911's they were 912-sixes.

And on the T-10 trans cars, there were 56 I just found out.

14. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I'd have to agree ... this cover pretty much says it all.

p.s. Why does he have a stop sign bolted to the fender? :rolleyes:

15. And that's why the 'traditional' definition will never be fully settled.

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

It's fairly simple really.

See..it's all documented in the type of fine publication as illustrated above.

If...it graced the pages of the publication prior to a certain year it's acceptable to use in a rolling art form from that period. BTW, true form hotrodding did not die in 64, it's just that the current trend is to axe the date to keep pony cars out of hot rod sites. A car built to the hot rod format of 1969 is just as traditional as the evolution of hotrodding has evolved over time. We tend to accept that so long as the skills are high and the vibe is there.

So in general if it was not in an early magazine or archive type in print you might not consider it correct for the form. If that's important to you.

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

These are 60's White Walls & correct. They are not the 50's Wide White Walls I'm referring to, the FNG's are buying.

18. somebody please posy bunnies with pancakes so this BS will at least be funny

19. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

It comes down to this, some guys get satisfaction from having there cars look how it would have in the 50s/60s ect.. And some guys get satisfaction from putting what they like in and or on there car.. I say if you have a 289 in your hot rod and you like the look of white walls then Use white walls.

20. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

... Sounds to me like you just don't like FNGs

21. Bunnies with Pancakes are not 60's traditional - these are
    [​IMG]

22. Wide whites were still being used into the sixties, I know I was there!

Attached Files:

23. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: This is getting stupid. I still don't see how you can do all this finger pointing at things that "aren't traditional" when you have a V6 in your 26 T. Help us all understand how that fit into your definition of true traditional?

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oh great, NOW you tell me !! :eek: Here I have been running around all these years with wide whites and a small block Ford, AND a glass body !! Boy am I embarrassed !!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Don

[​IMG]

25. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Not the first 'drama seeking' thread 'Homie' has blessed us with.

26. 2racer

2racer

<CITE>www.thefreedictionary.com/summery</CITE>
    sum·mer·y (s m-r) adj. Of, intended for, or suggesting summer. sum•mer•y (&#712;s&#652;m &#601; ri) adj. of, like, or appropriate for summer: a summery dress.

Purists should know how to spell, and it is summery here....

27. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

hahahahahahahaha

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i'm not sure if this will help, in fact i'm pretty sure it won't, but here's this. it just may save us all.

Attached Files:

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

WWW wide wound waffle. Perfect.:D

30. kracker36

kracker36

Wow, Now that I have read this---can you tell me what kind of tires to run in my flathead powered Model A? Maybe I should take the flathead out and put in a Vortec 350 with cracked between the seat Camel dick heads in it----then maybe after cutting the entire firewall out for the HEI distributor that is so big that it has its own gravity, I can have a traditional hot rod. MAybe even add yellow plug wires to spice it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.