Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF/289 Is for 60's HotRods. Don't put WW on it!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MATACONCEPTS, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I was at the best Swap Meet in the World yesterday with my Homie which I was teasing for being a Ford guy, I mean Mustang guy & we went walking around checking out cars, he has a 29 Coupe he puting a FHV8 in, thank god he's not doing the 302 thing anymore, well we came across this 30 A p/u, which most FNG's would call "Traditioinal" but you & I would call RR'ish & it had a SBF with the Cobra valve covers, I like Cobra motors, well you know, a clean 289, anyways . . . . I went on to tell him, "SBF/289 Is for 60's HotRods. Don't put WW on it!!!"

WW represent 50's, Hot Rod were orginally cuting edge so 60's was performance, performance tires, no white walls, well No Big White Walls. What year did the 260 SBF come out? 62?

2. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

That's another reason why I'm a Chevy guy, a SBC guy, the 265 came out in 1955, you could sport Wide White Walls

3. I thought in the wild world of hot rod and kustoms you can build what ever you want. Guess I didn't read the rule book. -Fat Chico

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm putting WWW's on my T Bucket in a couple months. Not to try and be traditional, because I know I'll like the look. Everyone else can shove off, until they become a sponsor of what I build. Maybe your friend doesn't care about following a trend/style either. Maybe he just wants to please himself.

I like the traditional cars on the HAMB. All 50 of them. The rest are variations of the style. This shit has gotten so serious, it's bordering stupid. I'm reaching the point where I don't even want to hang out with a lot of car guys. Just a bunch of whiners crying over petty bullshit.

5. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

His car so no-one else matters.
    I love it when the 'experts' tell me what I should and shouldn't do.

6. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

You lost me at "Homie".

7. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'll excuse myself from this conversation as I thumb through my stack of 1960s hot rod magazines full of hot rods running white walls....

8. 62rebel

62rebel

Hot Rods were always trying to keep up with whatever Detroit was doing, sometimes trying to think ahead, but almost always one step behind...you have to keep in mind the specific time period you're aiming for with a Rod... if you're trying to be Trad. flatheads were the shit for a long time, but OHV's replaced them for the most part, except diehards, by the early '60's. there were ALL KINDS of OHV v8's in use and covered by speed part makers until the market finally centered on GM/Mopar/Ford engines... with some AMC stuff hanging on until the '70's... once a guy had a strong running, completed car, he MIGHT spring for some eye candy and put some WWW's on it... but by the mid-60's, www's were passé; stuff relegated to kemps and pimpmobiles. the LA lowriders kept that segment alive and kicking, and kept a lot of killer bombas alive for posterity. ANYWAYS... if I was going to use a SBF in a traditional Rod, it would wear ONLY a set of Cal Custom alloy valve covers, not Cobra ones, and an Offy intake with two fours. it would also run a generator and v-belts, not an alternator and serpentine belts. just saying.

9. 416Ford

416Ford

Half of the "Traditional" cars I see at the shows have a 350 in them with "Vintage" valve covers on them.
    Sure glad they didn't put a Ford in a Ford.
    This topic will be deleted for sure.

10. hallrods

hallrods

Well Put!!!!

11. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

62rebel Gets it. It's a technical issues for some who thrive to be purist. It's not to debate.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Every 'Ford-in-a-Ford' traditional hot rod makes me wince...Not brand prejudice, believe me. I have been FORD since 1954.
    I was 'interested' in Ford's new small block 221 in 1962...being a mechanic then, I had the chance to work on them.
    Well... the small block Chevy looked more like a "Ford design" than this new 'gem'...

Front mount distributor, front sump pan, complicated timing cover and water pump design and pulley setup, strange plumbing afterthoughts, oil pump placement...
    I had considered using one for my roadster.
    Not after looking one over...This was NO miniature F.E.!

I have been contracted to install 260, 289, 302, and 351 Windsors in Model A thru '34 chassis...Done a few, but not my thing. They just look too "Good-Guysish".
    Highboys with smallblock Fords look like Street Rod restorations.
    They have a nice sound...

13. he said homie....i stopped reading afer that.

14. Thank God! :eek: I thought I was the only one. :D

15. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Explain your '26 model T with a V6?

16. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

YOU SAW IT? That car was Bad ass, fuck I miss it. You know it was all "FORD Made In The USA", it was before the Blue Oval. The Blue Oval came in 1928. Well the body at least.

Great Motor, I never had to open the hood. That fucker got 30mpg. I drove it for for 8 years. It lives in Phoenix now.

[​IMG]

17. yblock292

yblock292

yep here we go................Buddy of mine, hot rod builder has a big sign in his shop that really sums it all up................"The only opinion that counts in this shop is mine, so just shut the F&#$-up"

18. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I agree, that's a cool little car. It's a great example of "build what you want" without having to stick to the traditional rules. Sticking a V6 in a 26 T might be similar to putting white walls on your ford powered 1960s hot rod. There's no rule book to these old cars. Some like certain things that others don't. That makes it fun. If you see something you don't care for, make a mental note and move on. No need to do any more than that.

19. phat rat

phat rat

It means he's preaching what he doesn't practice.

20. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Yeah, kind of. I guess, "Put a Hood on It" the summery here.

21. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

x2 ^^

22. flatout51

flatout51

So dumb....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. I think he meant built it at Homie :D :rolleyes:

24. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I think we can put a bow on this one, close it out, and move on to bigger and better things.

25. 62rebel

62rebel

the gist of it is, use what you can get. if you can get all original stuff, go for it. if you have to scrape up stuff from the Pic-n-pull, go for it. always keep in mind what looks or works best on the cars you wish to emulate. simplicity is always better than complication. safety first.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Time to get back to having FUN with old cars. Think I'll change my oil.

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford's 221cid thin wall cast V8 was used in the Sunbeam Tigers fot great results in the road racing group in the 1960 era.
    Then Shelby's ears perked up when the 260cid came out in 1962, again, this time running in Shelby's Cobras with greater results in racing internationaly.
    Later,(1963) 289cid & big blocked Ford dominated the sport car racing field.
    A friend of mine worked at LAX shipping out the Cobras to various races at different places in the world.
    He called me one night at home in 1964 & said to get down to Shelby's garage in Venice (at that time) with your chk.book, Shelby has 5 260cid engines laying on the floor, just pulled from 5 Cobras.
    Ford had just shipped new 289cid to Shelby & they were installing them as fast as they could for racing the next week.
    I excitedly checked out each 260 lying there & chose the one with less residue on the front area.
    Shop foreman said all 5 were in great condition, & some had more miles than others---All 5 were stripped of external items, so they were in fact a "long block", with all the good stuff internally.
    Four guys lifted my newly purchased Cobra engine from Shelby for $338.00nto my pickup.----I smiled all the way home!
    First thing I did at home was to take a magnet & probe ALL openings looking for any loose nuts,washers,etc.---Found none.
    Pulling the aluminum 4 spd. housing & clutch assy. I was amazed to find the silver letters still intact on face of the disc.---Which I interpeted this engine to be almost NEW!!
    This was in 1964.
    Fast forward to present 2013.
    Still running the same 260cid Cobra engine, same bore, taper is good, still original solid lifters, & very dependable for 300,000 miles now.
    Yep!--I'm a Ford guy!!:D----Don

Attached Files:

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's my bill of sale from Shelby in 1964.

Attached Files:

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuce Daddy Don : Thats just awesome!

30. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Hell Yeah! Bitch story. Thanks. And No Wide White, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.