Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376094190.977447.jpg
    All loaded up and ready to go to Salem. It will be my first time on the high banks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Now THAT is a beautiful setup. That 2.0 Ford engine, though perhaps not "vintage"; not only looks great, but it's got more H.P. than my 1933 Model B based Ford 3.0+litre (see photos below). And for sure, your newer engine is a LOT less expensive. GREAT WORK!:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Cunningham Ranger during one of it's two trips to Ohio Vintage running events this year along with trips to Oskaloosa and Knoxville, IA in June and just back from Belleville KS.

Next weekend it will be running at Webster City, IA Aug 16th-18th for the 18th annual Hamilton County Speedway Vintage Race Car Reunion.

Y'all come.

Attached Files:

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Safe and exciting weekend of vintage racing/exhibition to all.

5. easter

easter

6. racer76

racer76

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]bobby marvin in 1962 can anybody tell me who's car the 65 is

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. racer76

racer76

PULLING WALLYS CHAMP CAR[​IMG] THATS A LITTLE RACER76 IN THE CORNER

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Historic Champ/Indycar Assn. event at Rockingham oval, the eastern most event on our Coast to Coast Run. Thanks to Mac Miller, Randall and The Doc for running the car, Pam Shatraw Event Coordinator and Tony Parella of the SVRA for the invite.

Photos will be posted at this site when they arrive over the next few weeks.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/sets/72157635036787366/

Mac Miller and Randall next to The Rock upon arrival.

Next stop Winchester Indiana
    [​IMG]

9. racer76

racer76

SOME OF THE B&J SPECIAL LEASED THE CAR FROM SOMEBODY...GAVE IT BACK AT THE END OF 62[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

That's the last thing I guess anybody knows about the Earl Beale, Sam Traylor, Ken Hickey, Doug Stearly sprinter.

leased huh. Interesting.

11. racer76

racer76

AS FAR AS I CAN TELL...MY MOM KEPT A BOOK....DAD GOT 55% the owner got 25% JANE(THE J PART OF B&J SPECIAL) GOT20%,,,BUT NO MENTION OF OWNERS NAME. SORRY
    HAVE ANY CLUE ON THE #65 MIDGET?

12. Mitch G

Mitch G

Racer 76,
    That is the "Snook Offy", Kurtis chassis #272, it's documented in Bill Montgomey's "Kurtis-Kraft Midget, Genealogy of speed" page 95. Wayne Ewing re-bodied the Kurtis. Lloyd Snook, was the owner.

13. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Dal Ewing started the reto on the snook car. My friend Dave Clark got it running he ran it at Louden, then sold it. It has been flawlessly restored since.

14. racer76

racer76

thanks guys I had never seen that pic

15. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

16. racer76

racer76

17. steamer

steamer

Hey, when I was a kid in the '60's, my folks would take me to the URC sprint car races at the Fair in Fleminton. I seem to remember some of the cars having tails that looked like the"Novi's" Was I right, if so, any pictures out there?

18. grumpyracing

grumpyracing

hi...my Uncle is Dickey LeRoy...here is the car after the crash.

Attached Files:

19. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

We owned this car from 1995 up until a few years ago, then sold it back to the guy we bought it from. I don't know what "widely owned" means...I don't believe there are more than a handful of these actually running. In fact, at one point I think this was one of only two running in the country.

You are absolutely right about headaches. That car was not the easiest car to run. It was well-built, but not exactly well sorted. There were aspects of it that almost seemed cursed. It was loud and powerful and solid though. The last time I ran it was up and down the street in my parents' neighborhood (small resort town in NH) and that was probably one of the funner moments in it. I was sad to see it go, but at the same time it was a bit of a relief because I really wasn't looking forward to accidentally blipping it and wrecking the motor.

I imagine it's sorted now. The guy we sold it back to was active in vintage racing and had people that knew what they were doing working on it.

Cris

20. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Steamer, Hank Lakaitis had a black car with a fin tail in that time frame. He later sold it to an Army Sgt who painted it white. Wimpy Ervin may have also had a car with a tail fin.

21. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

I'm pretty sure that Wimpy did. Denny Z.

22. Russ Gaylord Fontana

Russ Gaylord Fontana
    from Home

I hope you guys don't mind me jumping into your thread unannounced but I'm after any info on crossfire/norden flatheads and seem to remember that its been mentioned that a number of sprinters had them to gain a bit of extra torque coming out of the curve. Seems to be the same for midgets.
    Anyone know of someone who's got or built one?
    Any info gratefully recieved.

23. the shadow

the shadow

wow that engine does look nice sitting in there, I'd like to see more of this car did you document your build on it? Is there already a thread started y you for this car, if not please post up some pics.
    Paul

24. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Of all places for this to show up, but the HAMB drags in Joplin mo. at the host motel Friday night. I really know nothing about it. But its so cool to see how things use to be. David

hamb drags 2013 017.jpg

hamb drags 2013 020.jpg

hamb drags 2013 021.jpg

25. deuce354

deuce354

Hi Guys, Looking for some help. Trying to find some history of my new project. Pretty sure this single tube sprint car was built in the 60's. It was raced with a bolt on cage & a wing into the 70's. It ran Tri-Sac in Mich. Last know owned-driver was Mike Zimmerman. The tail & the hood are probably not correct. The tail & the hood are CAE. I have compared the car to early CAE catalogs. It is not a CAE Chassis. I could be homemade but i doudt it. The workmanship is really good. You can see some modifications were done & that workmanship is a little rough. The car has a 3" halibrand rear, i'm sure this was a upgrade from a 2". The belly pan & the side body panels are one piece, this would have been a PITA to remove or install.The car is rumored to have some USAC history. If so that is how i would like to restore it to. If anyone has any ideas on who could have made the chassis, it would be a step in the right direction to find some things out. This is a really nice car, i'm happy to have such a complete car to start with. I have never had one this complete. Thanks for any help in advance. Deek

Attached Files:

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No idea who built it, but they weren't foolin around when they braced up that r/r torsion tube. ;)

27. tractorguy

tractorguy

I first saw the same car at Goodguys in Des Moines years ago......and it has not changed at all !!! Owner at that time was a really nice guy who owned some repair shops in Joplin ??? I had previously sold him a vintage midget with a Wisconsin air-cooled V4 in it. I later sold him a really nice 60/70's sprint car chassis with body. Really nice guy......I need to look in my old files.

28. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

More photos added by Randall Cook and Dr Bob Dicks
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/sets/72157635036787366/

29. ...just got back from vacation,and just caught up......BZNEIL .. that looks so good.....hope she went well for you....;)

30. SprintWrench

SprintWrench
    from Indiana

Actually Glen didn`t start working on sprint cars until 1965 and the first one that he worked on was Paul Mead`s. I grew up in Edinburgh and my Dad was good friends with Paul. I also worked for Glen for 8 years.