Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I get a title for a vehicle in Nevada- Not looking to purchase one!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfoley, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfoley

jfoley

Hi my last thread got deleted by a moderator who thought I was trying to buy a title for my vehicle - not the case at all. I need to know how I can register a vehicle in Nevada that does not have a title.

I bought a 1947 Willys Cj2a from a widow that had no paperwork for it. I was just going to use it as a parts jeep but it seems a shame to cut up a '47. Does Nevada issue bonded titles? Or can I do a salvage title? DMV lines are long and you get many different conflicting answers. My insurance company could not cross reference the vin # for me. I have no idea what state the vehicle was last registered/titled in. All vin tags are in place on the jeep. Thanks!

2. 117harv

117harv

Go to the DMV and ask?

3. jfoley

jfoley

Much quicker to build on what someone else has already spent a lot of time learning.

4. The smart thing to do is stand in line at the DMV,,you will only get best guesses and thoughts here.

Maybe a Jeep forum might be able to help. HRP

5. 117harv

117harv

6. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Too Easy!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7. jfoley

jfoley

Thanks for the link. I've spent a lot of time on that website and it does not mention bonded titles or if you can do some sort of vin search in neigboring states. It is not clear if a salvage title will correct my situation. I have tried a jeep website but they didn't have any Nevada specific info. I know this is a boring subject but wanted to give it one more try. I contacted one of those title companies but I don't know if thats even legal or if Nevada DMV will accept them. This is pretty much why I never by a car without a title the hassle is never worth it even if its a good deal. Thanks for the replies.

8. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My experience here @ Carson City Nev. The DMV won't even talk to you without a Title

9. Here you could get the widow to file for a lost title. If she would agree to help.

10. Spork!

Spork!

NV DMV has amazingly helpfull people if you e-mal them:

http://dmvnv.com/contact_us.asp

I had an issue with my license and they answered repeated e-mails and was very helpful. Truly amazing for a DMV!

11. rld14

rld14

Google is amazing...

http://www.dmvnv.com/regprivate.htm

And then here's the big PDF...

http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/regtitle.pdf

12. pila38

pila38

I had absolutely zero paperwork on my truck, but did have a VIN # on it. I was able to get a title in NJ, but that is meaningless to you since you live in Nevada. Just thought it might give you some hope.

13. Jeff J

Jeff J

If ya don't want to stand in line at the DMV go to your State Police and ask them and bring the vin number with you so they can run a search on it to see who owned it last. Then you can go to the DMV with some paper work and they will give you some forms for the old owner to sign to get a duplicate title !

14. woodypecker

woodypecker

In Michigan you would need a bill of sale from the widow. Second document is a form signed by a police officer that states what the vin on the vehicle is. Third on a comerical vehicle you need the weight. Fourth you fill out a form stating how you got the vehicle. Then you pay the sales tax based on the bill of sale. Then you wait. This information is of no value to you because you do not live in Michigan. Hope there is something similar in Nevada.

15. Good Lord, why do people post detailed info on how to do it in "insert state here" when it has no bearing on what happens in NV? It's already been answered several times in this thread.

16. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

just go to the dmv and get the correct information and papers for your STATE!. they will gladly let you start the transaction and collect some cash from you but at least you got the ball rolling. if registering it is important to you then waiting in line should be worth the wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.