Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question for you guys running mustang tank in a shoe box ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorodz, Aug 9, 2013.

1. lorodz

lorodz

I was wondering what fuel sending unit and fuel gauge you are using, I'm having trouble with the ohms matching my gauge.I bought a tank and matching sender and had the company send me another beeing I thought it was no good. Well I reolaced it today and samething, the sender will only read 1/2 to full even when empty, and will read empty when not grounded. ..any ideas maybe a brat in between to drop ohms, I'm stumped ..please help.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. clifforddean

clifforddean

Same problem here. I ended up putting aftermarket fuel gauge in glovebox.

3. lorodz

lorodz

I tried that but the gauge I have is doing the same thing only reading half to full won't go to empty..

4. It's tricky. I used an Autometer gas gauge that was close to match full and empty ohm of Mustang sender. In my case its at 3/4 mark when the tank is full. I feel like taking the tank out and start tweaking the float rod until it's good. hahaha

5. lorodz

lorodz

I tried that it still won't hit empty..only full and it goes down to 3/4

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. 51custom

51custom

JeffB2...is spot on, you do need one of those...To make it all work.
    Jim

8. What will that regulator do? I converted my 53 Ford crestline to 12 volts. I kept original tank and installed a new sending unit. I have a Autometer gas gauge, but does not reading well.
    Would that regulator be the fix?

9. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

Any voltage kickdown should work.... im running the mustang tank with a voltage kicdown to stock gas guage in my shoebox. Works fine. Like somebody else said, maybe tweek the sending unit rod.

10. lorodz

lorodz

I used a 12 volt gauge and a 12 volt sending unit remember the tank is 65 ford mustang tank and sender ..the gauge is a sunpro fuel gauge. So I'm not so shure the kick down on the ohm gauge will work....any other ideas.

11. lorodz

lorodz

I retract my previous statement, i just read the link turns out that even 60's fords used them so maybe they do need resistance.between the gauge and sender..hmmmm anyone else using one of these?

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

A lot of the guys in my 52-59 Ford Group have used these regulators with the stock gas gauges,if your sun-pro has the same ohm resistance as stock Fords it should do the trick.The ebay listing did not specify 1965 Mustang but it works for them too,so you have almost all the pieces to the puzzle,some of these old floors in 50's Fords are rotted out so the Mustang tanks also become a patch panel of sorts.

13. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This has been discussed at length on Fordbarn. The problem is that the stock 49-51 FORD gas tank sending units and gauges do not operate on the ohms principle. They operate by the heating of a bi-metallic strip inside the gas tank sending unit that will work only with the "matching" stock 6V Ford gas guage. If you read the following thread COMPLETELY you will see what I mean.
    http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40850&highlight=gas+tank+sending+unit

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Read all of that,learned a lot from it the bottom line seems to be off-shore production junk is at the root of most folks problems.Since many of the aftermarket Ford parts suppliers get parts from the same sources we are kind of screwed.

16. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's how it all works. Taken from 49-51 Mercury Manual, but it's the same operating principle. It seems that the makers of the after market units have not designed their units to actually duplicate and operate on the same operating principles as the original FORD units. Click on photo to enlarge. Funny, we can put a man on the moon, but this is such a challenge.

Attached Files:

17. ...got a new Stang tank in my 48 F-1, used a new Stang sender and an Autometer guage for that sender; works perfect .

18. lorodz

lorodz

Well this is what I did today didn't take photos, I had no time.
    So I orderd the resistor but couldn't wait till Thursday for it to arrive, so I mentioned before I'm using a mustang gas tank and factory sending unit. Well I couldn't wait to what I did was , I took the factory sending unit back out of the tank, I than decided I wasn't going to use it as a sender to the gauge, I would only use it as a fuel pick up to the electric pump. So I pulled the fuel level parts out and cleaned up the fuel tube, made it nice and smooth and attached the screen, than reinstalled it back into the tank.
    I than went to my local auto zone and picked up the universal sunpro fuel sending unit, its just the unit for the matching gauge I already had. So what I did was figure out the best place to drill a hole into the top of the tank, and insert the new sender. I than took a hole saw and drilled into the top of the tank, I used the gasket that is included in the kit as a templet, so I would be able to make the correct size hole, after the hole was drilled out I started adjusting the float ..it was a royel pain in the ass, I had to keep filling the tank and emptying the tank , after about the 12th time,a lot of cursing and bending of the float rod I finally got it to read perfect. It Goes to empty and full perfectly. The new set yp installs like a boat tank sender right on top.comes with a cork gasket and its 22 bucks can't beat it ..if anyone wants pictures I can take some just ask..thanks for all the advice and tips ..

19. lorodz

lorodz

Oh one more thing,for those of you who are using the same tank and sender ..becareful when using a brass float. It gives an incorrect reading when hitting the bottom of the tank..the new sender I'm using has a rubber style float and doesn't give the incorrect reading ...

20. 4fingeredwill

4fingeredwill

just bought the stang tank and I am waiting to put it in. Very helpful thread! Thanks everybody!