Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '36DD - (My Double Duty 3-window build.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Surf City, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Top notch work!

2. Geeze mate.
    I feel like a real amateur after seeing your work ... lol
    Probably because I am ...

Keep posting ... Love the work and the Car.

3. Thanks heaps, guys!:)

4. Thanks for that Clive.:)

I AM an amateur at this sheetmetal stuff- never used a bead roller or shrinker/stretcher before, and haven't been near folders since metal shop at high school. (And I won't say how long ago that was:eek:)
    I'm right out of my comfort zone with this, but I figure if I keep thinking 5 steps ahead, measure twice (or more), and cut once, I might just be able to pull it off.

And, if I don't keep posting, then you'll know that I must have f#%@d it up....:D

Bear:)

5. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

If you ever shift to Oz, you know where to find a job :D;)

6. Deucefanny

Deucefanny
    from Australia

Great build! Love the brake set up. I'm gonna rip mine out and redo it. I had trouble clearing the exhaust with my setup. Awesome stuff and thank for all the info. Looking forward to the end product.

7. Hey, thanks heaps for the vote of confidence...:D

Kinda' ready for a career change, just not ready for a shift to Oz quite yet!:):rolleyes:

I've been checking out your website, and liking the stuff you're doing. You can probably expect an order from me sometime soon for some of your panelbeating tools. Do you make a smaller dia. shrinking disc, or do you need the large diameter to get enough speed/friction? Those 9" grinders scare the c*%#p outta' me!:eek:

8. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics

9. Hard to believe you have not used metal-working tools before. This level of workmanship usually takes several years of trial and error when going the d.i.y. route. You have certainly found your niche!

10. woodbox

woodbox

Nice work (as always) on the cover for the m/c. Some rivnuts would look good on there to fasten it down.

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

12. Thanks again everyone.

Got the next two sections fabbed up and fitted into place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still had to fold the front edge down in these pics, left that to last so's I could still fit them into the bead roller.
    All of this raised section will eventually be hidden by the seat base - the sliders will mount on the flat section of floor by the rockers.

That's about it for progress lately, cos' I had a trip over to the LA Roadster Show for close to 3 weeks (which included a bunch of shopping for '36 parts). Got to check out the '36s of John Mearns and Ron Keilwitz while I was over there, which has helped me get my head around seating positions and other interior detail stuff.

Had a week to catch up on work when I got back, then last week I had a shoulder surgery that's effectively gonna' put me out of action for at least 6 weeks.:(

13. woodbox

woodbox

Progressing well Bear. Keep it up mate.
    I had a big clean up in the shop today, and dragged the roadster back down off the bench so I can get back into it soon. keep your eyes peeled for a new thread coming soon to a computer screen near you!

14. First time I've looked at this thread. You're setting the bar pretty high for the rest of us hackers. LOL
    Take good care of that shoulder, Do the rehab religiously It'll make a big difference in the outcome. I've had one done 3 years ago, and the other will get the knife Sept. 18th. I'm hoping to be back in the garage by Christmas.

15. Hey Bear , we met several times in LA at LARS and So-cal , great build thread , Subscribed !! Very Very nice workmanship , you are talented that's for sure , cheers, cad

16. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi Bear,
    just started to Suss out how to get round the HAMB web site ,hope all went ok with the shoulder job , got mine coming up in several months ,
    the 36 is looking real cool , noted one of your comments about front mounting the motor and hanging the gearbox mount out back, and the possible strain on the area round the flywheel ,I'm looking to do something similar on the Model A ,any more thoughts ??i ran a rear mounted alloy power glide with a front mounted s/b in the old 56 belair ,not to much HP,an that was fine ,
    Cheers PJ

17. Hey PJ

Great to see you active on here.
    Shoulder surgery's turned to shit - been in hospital for the last week and a half with an infection - cut me open twice and may be happening again tomorrow. Don't seem to be any improvement at the moment:mad:

Haven't made any more progress with the engine mounting - probably have the same concerns as you with space around the bellhousing area. I'm still thinking it will be fine with front and rear mounts only.
    Don't really think horsepower is the issue so much, more the bending forces on the length of engine/trans between the mounts. The stock side mounting allows the forward part of the engine to cantilever some of the weight between the mounts, so I guess the front mounting could maybe at most double the load at the bellhousing?

Picture a fat guy jumping up and down on a 6 foot plank, then on a 12 footer.

So long as it's a good solid bellhousing, and we don't try any offroadin', I reckon we'll be fine.;)

And, so long as the back tires are the weakest link:cool:, hp and torque shouldn't hurt it too much either!:D

18. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hey Bear ,sorry to hear bout your shoulder ,I'm booked in another month for the 4 th job on same shoulder in 6 years ,
    Back to the front mount, I have looked at the flywheel housing and noted that the housing is 360 degree round, not like the alloy housing on a auto type housing that has the bottom half of the housing wasted where it doesn't bolt to the rear of the engine,if you understand what I'm trying to say,
    Now I know the two housings only bolt together around maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the diameter of the back of the engine ,but with the alloy housing we have its supported integrally the full diameter, which must add strength and ridgilty,
    Hope you can understand my theory ,and my spalling,
    Cheers PJ

19. Hey, mate
    Thanks for the compliments.

It was cool to meet you and your wife in LA - we sure ran into each other a bunch of times. Must be into the same kinda' shit:D
    Did ya' get that grille home safe and sound?

Been totally unproductive since I got back. My parts have landed in the country, so soon as I get out of the hospital I'm gonna' be back into it (gingerly:rolleyes:)!

20. ken1939

ken1939

Gee I wish you could have taken time and really planned out this build, not just going out to the shed and cobbled a bunch of bits together :rolleyes:

Truly craftsmanship, and nothing out of a catalog. Love the hands on and well, your going to have a car that will need to have portable mirrors to show work that wont be seen.

My pic for the Riddler.

21. Thanks for the kind words.
    Still haven't got to the rehab stage yet - got an infection in the shoulder joint around a month ago and been back in the hospital twice to be opened up and cleaned out.:eek: Things are looking up now, but I'm on a real high dose of antibiotic, and I just wanna' sleep all the time.:mad:
    Not good for hot rod building...

Good luck with yours!:)

22. It sucks that you got nailed with an infection, and it sure sucks that my cheap phone wont let me see your pics, lol, but its great to be able to be cyber roddin on the Hamb. I hope you recover quick, and get back to the build.

23. Thanks a bunch for the compliments!
    Won't be any mirrors going under this... its all gonna' get a coat of semigloss black under there and I plan on racking up some miles.

Catalog stuff won't get ya' down as low as I wanted to go (not with axles and bones anyway), so its all gotta' be fabricated.There's a lot of stuff needs moving around to make the suspension work properly at this ride height.

My shoulder is still too buggered to do anything constructive yet, but I did manage to throw the wheels on over the weekend to check some clearances.

[​IMG]

In these shots the rear axle is pretty much bottomed out on the frame - ride height will be 2 inches up from here. Front end is at ride height.
    Wishbones sit level, and everything's got room to move.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I doubt anybody's ever gonna' see that quickchange...:rolleyes:

24. carbuilder

carbuilder

I feel for you I had four shoulder surgerys in 1999 & 2000 still not real right just learned to live with it.

25. Hope you get better and back at it soon. Miss your updates. Get well soon. Later Kipp.

26. woodbox

woodbox

No-one will see the Q/C but they will hear it!

27. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Hi bear , looks like your on the slow road to recovery,I know how frustrating it is to have a time on your hands after surgery an being able to only look at the shop projects ,it can give a man cabin fever ,
    Any ways good to hear the infection has gone ,and your on the mend
    Cheers
    PJ

28. Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone.:)

I'm finally getting back at it, tho' I've still got very limited use of my arm.

Fitted the hump section over my rear torque arm (I already had this panel made up). It's a whole bunch wider than it needs to be, but I prefer to keep things looking symmetrical.

[​IMG]

Then I made up some patterns and had the tunnel rolled up in two sections.

[​IMG]

I made up a little tool (in bottom right of pic above) to form the flange on the rear section as this piece couldn't be folded. Comes in real handy for fine tuning the folded flanges on the other areas too.

[​IMG]

Trial fitted the pieces then scribed the join between the two and tacked them up. I will weld the two together off the floorpan so's I can get at both sides of the weld, then trim out the floor under the driveshaft tunnel and spotweld everything together.

[​IMG]

29. woodbox

woodbox

Man! I was like....Floored! Too much Bear.

30. Rods & Relics

Rods & Relics