Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. 59 Galaxie with a bone stock 223. Runs great. Trying to scrounge up another trans as the current 3 speed is toast. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1372005154.302356.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I got me a little supersonic 6 in a '53 Kaiser Manhattan sedan. Actually I got two, but the other one is locked up.

3. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

I am putting a Wayne headed 216 in my chopped Fleetline. Engine is almost complete. Car is nowhere near complete. I have a few pics on my page of it

4. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

It's no *hot* rod, but I've got the stock 170ci in my Lark wagon with 3 spd and OD. Pictures in a profile album I have. I haven't done anything in the way of a tune up, all the plugs, wires, and such are what was in the car and it runs. I get 18mpg now and plan to get a couple more after the tune up, I have to think.
    I've doubled the mileage I got in my 91 Suburban, I can carry almost as much as I did in that and it's more fun to drive. I call that a win.

5. wolfex1

wolfex1

There's a fine line between one man's classic and another man's "hot rod". Aren't "hot rods" a vehicle which has been modified to improve performance or possibly appearance? Plenty of vehicles have been produced with a straight six, but that doesn't make them a "hot rod". I believe that the original intent of this thread was to highlight vehicles that have been modified utilizing a straight six, as opposed to the overused SBC, etc. Isn't that what makes this thread interesting?

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Maybe it was to hear from those who chose to resist the trend of putting a V8 in in anything that may be thought of as a hot rod. I remember when it was cheaper to install the plentiful after market speed equipment available for most stock engines than to do an engine swap. Most Chevys and Mopars ran inlines. If someone is just getting into his Stude 170 I'm all for it. A friend here and Inliners International member went from stock, to built flathead Stude Six, to a 292 Chevy six. If you don't think a 292 powered '59 Lark wagon is a hot rod try to keep up with it going over the Sierras.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. wolfex1

wolfex1

Love the 292" in the Lark. That's a "hot rod". But a Lark with the unimproved original engine is fine in it's own right, it's not a "hot rod", it's a classic. I have a 292" torque monster in my '39 and love to drive it.

8. captmullette

captmullette

damn .... I like it, sheet metal is cool also.....

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

ply_46, Not to nit-pick but "buggy" springs ARE semi-eliptic. Its just that it is transverse-mounted as opposed to the parallel leaf springs you are referencing.

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Buggy refers to the technology level of the application not the design of the spring.

11. Have Marcy

Have Marcy
    from nj

1953 Chevy 210 2 door Sedan with a rebuilt 235, full pressure oiler out of a 56. I think of it more like a Time Machine than a Hot Rod although with Fentons through steel packs it does SOUND badass !...Anyway there's just something basic and fun about a Stovebolt style six with three on the tree !

12. 6narow

6narow

You're definitely not wrong, but I think what we're seeing is this thread becoming an outlet for anyone using a straight six as the powerplant for their project, whatever that project may be.
    ...and I think this thread's legacy will be the realization that just because you're building a car, it doesn't necessarily have to have a v8 under the hood to be cool.

6narow

Fingers likes this.
  13. 6narow

6narow

You're not wrong, but neither is Frenchtown Flyer.

14. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

What a cool view of your ride. I like that, it certainly turns out to be one when I listen to comments from people who see mine at shows or out and about. Fortunately, I like listening to new stories.

15. wink61

wink61

61 F100 223 L6
    Offy Intake, Dual Edelbrock 94 Carbs, Pertronix Distributor conversion, Patriot long downtube Header with 65 K code Mustang exhaust-Arvinode System

Check my profile for pictures
    [​IMG]

16. I'm not affiliated with this guy at all, but I stumbled across this on eBay while looking for something else. How about an OHC slant six?

17. smooothee

smooothee

I'm like Tagman... running the straight six.When I bought my 37 coupe the 216 ci was
    just rebuilt by previous owner, Its got plenty of power and still gets bout 17 mpg on
    average. They say if it's not broke don't fix it. besides with my budget driving right now
    is better then sitting in the garage.

18. I like the idea of the 6 in a hot rod. But I don't like the proportions it gives the car, its long so the grille shell is real far out.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It can all be worked out with planning. A lot of early performance cars had inline 6s and 8s and looked great. The proportions of the V8 cars is more like the old 4 cylinder cars. We've just gotten use to the cookie cutter lines of those short hoods. If you put a long engine in a T bucket and then use the same spring behind axle suicide front end found on so many of those it is going look out of proportion. Wayne Horning moved the engine back int the firewall. Where there's a welder there's a way. :eek:

20. wink61

wink61

original 223, rebuilt, bored .40 over, comp cams 260 grind, dual Holley 94's pertronix Ignitor II in dizzy and Patriot long downtube headers. Exhaust is dual with x-pipe and Arvinode system Ford Factory K code mufflers/resonators. Running T-5 with 3.73 rear and it's a blast to drive. gets about 18-20 on highway.

Attached Files:

21. What's it in?

22. Twisted6

Twisted6

Sweet sounds like a fun/blast of a ride.

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

You'll enjoy this New Video of Old Gassers
    Glenn

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OLtnqPb0jWQ" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd still like to see one in a modified. I didn't go through all 75+ pages, so if I missed it, give me a page number or pic.

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

26. Is anyone running a Pontiac Sprint Intake and Exhaust on a 250/292 I6? I have this setup that I recently acquired and working on getting it back together. It has an adapter plate so the intake bolts up. Looking as to what to tell the parts place as far as a year to get the right intake gasket and the heat gasket that goes between the intake and exhaust. Any input appreciated.

27. Delray292

Delray292

292 bored .60 over, big cam, Edelbrock 500, Clifford intake, Langdon's cast iron headers. I love those old 6 cylinders!!

Attached Files:

Dyno Dave likes this.
  28. charlie.carlosjimenez

charlie.carlosjimenez
    from San Diego

What is it? 1946 Chevy Fleetline AeroSedan
    Is it stock or modified? Upgraded the engine from a 216 to a 235 with Offenhauser Intake and dual Rochester Carbs and Dual Glass Packs.
    Do you have a Automatic trans? Standard on the Column, just installed a Truckstell Overdrive 101. A very rare piece that came off of a 1947 Fleetline.
    http://www.veteranoscarclub.com/carlos-1946-fleetline-aerosedan-project.html

29. bobadame

bobadame

I have a 270 GMC that's going in my '49 Gimmy 1/2 ton.

30. 250 with 5 speed.great sound

Attached Files: