Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lacquer primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan's52, Aug 9, 2013.

1. stan's52

stan's52

I want to use lacquer primer for my project. I went to my local automotive paint store, bought my lacquer primer. All they can sell in my state (CA) is acetone for a thinner. No lacquer thinner anymore. Is acetone going to do the job, as a thinner. How about Home Deopt acetone. Home Depot has lacquer thinner also. I don't know if it will be compadable with my primer. Same with the acetone. Any thoughts? I already have lacquer primer applied a few years back when I could buy lacquer thinner. that is why I am staying with lacqure primer. Plus it's easier on the lungs. Stan

2. kracker36

kracker36

Laquer primer is terrible. Get rid of it while you can and use something better.

3. F&J

F&J

I doubt Home Depot is any different than Acetone. Our Advanced Auto carries a name brand that says "100% virgin lacquer thinner", but the content label says 100% Acetone.

Try it in cooler temps, no sun. It can't be used for color topcoats as it dries as it hits.

4. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Get a good high build poly primer. Like PCL for example. Acetone is acetone as far as I know. I don't think the quality varies that much when it comes to brand. .02

5. 40grit

40grit

Do not use thinner from a home supply store. It is not pure enough and may cause all kinds of problems.

California outlawed it because they are green nuts. The rest of the country quit using it because it is obsolete. It is not worth using in this day and time.

John

6. F&J

F&J

I was just in a body guys home based spray booth, barely in the doorway. The stench of impending death. I backed out real quick and could care less to see the paintjob that was days old. He will die young.

Epoxy WILL kill your ass no matter how you dress.

7. 40grit

40grit

Not true, but it will kill you if you don't dress properly and breath clean air.

John

8. Slimmey

Slimmey

I love the old lacquer primer. Dries fast, builds fast, sands fast, and when you are done for the night, just one beer makes you happy. Use the home depot lacquer thinner, just read the can to be sure its not reclaimed thinner, that might scare me. I've got my old stash I save for my cars, but customers get the 2k shit for paint warranty. Hate that stinking shit, clean up, etc. I've done every one of mine the old fashion way, seal it with ppg DP( mainly be cause they took my ppg 1970 sealer away, best stuff ever), and shoot. Never had any problems, still have a couple with 30yr paint still holding out nice, and Iam still alive!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there are Ready To Spray - RTS - Primers that come in gallon cans for spray gun use - can't remember brand right now.

10. Slimmey

Slimmey

Dupli-color maybe? I think Eastwood may sell that.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely brother!!! I still have lingering breathing problems from spraying the first of the epoxy paints with then current gear back in the early eighties. I'm just happy as a clam with our terrible, obsolete lacquer paint. Always amazed me how they could call something environmentally sound, yet it kills painters, when the stuff we used for 75 years prior hurt no one.

12. Slimmey

Slimmey

God I remember that, first 2 times I used Imron in '79 with the dust mask I used on the lacquer and acyrilic enamel jobs previous, could not breath right for 2 months. Paint rep came in and asked what respirator was I using, told him. He bout shit"that will kill you!" 18 and dumb. Did not ever use again.

13. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

All of the above and add that here in Oregon it has GREENED up to $248 a gallon for Acrylic Laquer Primer. Had to use some of the epoxy primer, thought I was going to die on the spot, That shit is Deadly. Agree with Need Louvers.

14. 1967gt

1967gt
    from ohio

Come on ! Everybody a bodyman... Do you want a brain surgeon from 1980 or 2013 working on your head. Because it needs to be examined... Ive been in the body business since 78. Lacquer primer or lacquer based materials. are you freakin kidding me? That shit was NO GOOD then.. high built ? Bs. Use a urethane product start to finish period. Good mask and ventilation

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Acetone will work but I've seen a Expoxy/Lacquer thinner at the local Autozone. I have used Acetone to thin Lacquer primer and it worked fine as a matter of fact, I just finished spraying my truck's cab and bed with lacquer exclusively. Check out the thread for the a.d. crowd and you can view the results.

16. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

lacquer is very hobby friendly ...

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at: PCL Speedprime R.T.S. (Ready To Spray straight out of the can) 912 Gray - primer surfacer, corrosion resistant, use with urethane enamel, acrylic enamel, synthetic enamel and acrylic lacquer. around $70 per gallon.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  18. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

Use urethane reducer it works great.It is slower than laquer thinner wich helps get solvent out.I use it all the time with great success.yes 2 part primer is better but not a have to.Budget freindly lines from stores dedicated to collision repair 5 star being one will work great.

19. bgaro

bgaro

god damn, hippies.

20. I don't know why some of you guys keep telling everyone to stop using lacquer when we can and go to that newer crap that will kill you if you don't invest in some expensive breathing apparatus.
    The man likes lacquer. So do I . I order mine from a supplier in New Jersey(http://www.paintforcars.com/acrylic_lacquer_paint.html ). I am no professional painter, just occasionally, maybe a car every two years. Lacquer is the best for a hobbyist in my opinion. Its easy to use, not deadly, and it lasts a long time. Manufacturers used it in the 50s and those paint jobs lasted well.
    I think he needs an answer to his question instead of always telling a lacquer user to use some other product he will regret unless he paints a lot.

21. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Everybody may not be, but I am, and I am not and never will be sold on the new crap. Give me lacquer primer in my home garage. Just sprayed some 30 minutes ago. It will hold up just fine, I bet it's under more than 2/3 of the cars on the HAMB.

22. Thanks 56don for the link. Lacquer forever.

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I bought my Lacquer paint from them also and I am happy with the results but it's not the first time I've used lacquer but it's the first time I've had to order it because The Restoration Shop in San Diego can no longer sell lacquer paint to CA residents.
    Now with regard to the new paint, does a lacquer ban make any sense? Hell No!

24. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Lacquer thinner is acetone. Like moonshine, some of it is more pure than others. Some lacquer thinners have additives to make it slower, for better flow out on top coats and to help prevent blushing. This isn't an issue with primer, and actually you don't want a slow thinner for your primer. You want it to dry out and shrink down as fast as possible. You don't need your primer to flow out real smooth, you're going to sand it anyway. You can use the Home Depot thinner for your primer with no problem.

I agree with the others that would rather see the home DIY guys using lacquer.

25. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

When I used lacquer primer I'd spray on a few coats heavy and let it sit for a couple months to shrink before even touching it.

26. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Lacquer primer is all I use in my home shop [garage] You can leave it in your gun all week...just stir or add more primer and thinner...The BIG paint companies want you to clean your paint gun every 10 or 15 minutes so they can sell you more exotic thinner.

When I started painting we still used DuPont duco nitrocellulose laquer.
    and DuPont dulux enamel...We thought we had it made when the new Centari acrylic enamel.

GM still used acrylic laquer on their autos up into the middle 60`s. I hated to do a full refinish back then because we had to buff for a day and a half to get it to shine.

and yes you can use lacquer for color coats...that used to be all there was available.

27. main reason lacquer is frowned upon(EPA) is that lacquer emits more voc`s into the air.if you reduce a gallon of lacquer with a gallon of thinner you have released a gallon of voc containing thinner into the air .Newer 2k primers transport its filler to the car with less reducers meaning less voc`s. plus it takes more sprayable lacquer to achieve coverage than with newer paints. We recently sprayed a longbed side with 1/2 pint of sprayable waterbase paint far less material than other paints. No paint is safe to spray without proper equipment.

28. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Lacquer thinner does contain acetone, but as has been pointed out, contains other solvents. You use to be able to buy xylene, and toluene otc, to mix your own '' hot rod '' mix of lacquer thinner, but the Tree Hugger/Mrs. Cravitz types have fucked us outa that as well.:mad:
    Today, about the only solvent you could buy, here in ''The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia'', that would slow the evaporation of acetone, is mineral spirits. I wouldn't use much of this in your mix, as mineral spirits isn't a very refined hydrocarbon, and could lead to paint problems.:eek:

Whenever I hear someone tell a non professionally trained painter they should be using a product containing isocyanates I think of the blind leading the dumb into oncomming traffic:rolleyes:

'' Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

+1

Speediprime

30. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Hard to believe anybody still uses the stuff. You know this is 2013, right? Some of the most screwed-up jobs I've ever seen were courtesy of laquer primer. Guess if you plan on using cheap paint over it, and never, ever plan on putting anything decent on it, then it will be sorta okay.