Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. This was a classic STP commercial!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oeIwX5HuNqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. I wish I saw this...!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/10v6UuHS7XM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. riding laying down in the back window package tray area as you drove with my folks and waving at people...nowdays i think that might be frowned on...seems nowdays they have these things called car seats.... that are attached to car seats........sissys

4. How about these Non-Hamb Cars!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0X5m4emm0OM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Going to the drive-in all alone in the car, 1964 Impala SS with the tail-dragging and after I parked I let all my buddies out of the trunk.:D

6. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I remember queuing all day just to buy 5 Gallons of fuel
    and changing 4 barrels to 2 barrels at work

7. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

- my Dad giving me .25 cents and sending me on by bike to the garage for a gallon of gas for the mower.

- heading out of town on my bike with my .22 to shoot gophers, cutting off their tails and selling them a guy that tied his own fishing flies.

- Getting a new 20 gauge double barrel shotgun for my 15th b'day.

- Going for a ride in Les Mahonic's 55 Chevy 331/4 speed.

- Throwing a snow ball through the neighbours porch window.

- Getting my buddies big brother to buy beer for us from the bar on a Saturday night.

- Sneaking into the drive in theatre in the trunk of a car...and getting caught.

- Driving a 3 ton grain truck during harvest and almost rolling it with a full load...

- My Dad teaching me how to drive (65 Mercury 352/bolt action shifter).

- Copping a feel with the girl down the street.

- Going to my first drag race in 1966.

- Taking apart everything that was bolted or screwed together much to my parents dismay.

- My older brother leaving home and my body gradually healing from the daily whoopings he would administer (well deserved I might add).

- Delivering papers @ -30 and freezing my nuts off.

- Feeding my pets...owls, magpies, crows, hawks and digging my pet rabbits out of the snow bank nearly every day in the winter....

- The list is endless but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

8. Did I mention running to the neighborhood pharmacy with a handful of TV tubes and finding the bad one on the tester!

9. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

Ahh memory lane, older brothers 50 merc..cool car,older sister & brother fighting over sis wearing his white shrits ...black jeans with the cuffs rolled up & oversized white shirts
    tails not tucked in was the clothing fad. ...My sister teaching my brother the latest dance steps while bandstand was on the ole black & white.
    The one that sticks the most ... was putting a 5 gal can in the wagon & going down to the Apco station to get gas for the mower ..fill the can give the guy a $1.00 get the change back & the two of us each got a bottle of pop .... had to drink it there because
    of the bottle deposit ----All for a buck !! Mc Donalds ---burger, fries & pop $.97 --change back form your dollar . Like I said Ahh memories.

10. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

One more ...the local trash hauler---big guy with a 2 ton truck lived two blocks over,I'd go over to his place at noon & he'd just be finishing his lunch.. we'd get in his truck & head out for the dump so he could unload the trash from the morning ...I'd get out with my .22 single shot rifle & shoot rats or just target shoot the afternoon till he returned
    ---I got to be a pretty good shot !!! ...1 bullet one rat....

11. i didnt grow up in that era ( but wouldve loved too )

they just had a different set of standards n morals back than ( even respected everyone ) ....

when a name meant something ( and not oh, it broke i ll go get anyone ) ...

even the shows and the atomsphere had a magic to it, its just hard to explain ( for not living in that era )

12. '63/'64... My freshman year at Northview High School in Covina, Ca., my all time favorite teacher! She taught English/French classes, her name was Yvonne Vaughan. No one (males, anyway) skipped her class.
    She loved to sing and would often sing in class...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  13. sqhd

sqhd

Saturday afternoon matinees with a ton of cartoons at the local theater.

14. \

That's funny! I was in my Junior Year in 1964-64 and took one year of Typing. First Semester...Mrs. (Drat!) Ronette Schadler....Stunning little Blond that had to be just older enough to have graduated from College and scored this teaching gig. I was a straight A student. Second Semester....108 year old Miss Lindsay....I not only got D'd and U's (Unsatisfactory) during the Semester but a U-2 on my Final Exam! I lost my muse....:) Centurion9

15. 1963/64 was Miss Vaughan's first year of teaching, also.

16. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Most places make me feel old, this place still makes me feel like a baby. Was born in '79 so I don't remember squat.

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Cheez.. '79 I was married -2 kids- mortgage -working 6-10's + 8 at the nuke plant & remodeling my house-slept about 4 hrs. a nite !!
    dave

18. Blue light specials at K-Mart. Yes they REALLY did happen. :)

19. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

How about Cal Worthington and his dog Spot!

20. morepower

morepower
    from northeast

In August 1965 at the ripe age of 11, my father took me to the New York World's fair where the automotive pavilions totally blew me away. I saw one of the real James Bond Aston Martins and the brandy new (well, one year old at that point) Mustang. There's a bunch of collected auto-related photos from the Fair posted here if anyone cares to check them out. http://www.pixacar.com/boards/1132/nyc-worlds-fair-1964-65/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  21. Thanks morepower... I loose so many days scoping the archives!

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Likewise, we went summer of '64. Riding the Magic Skyway in a brand new Galaxie was the highlight of the fair for me. Thanks for that clip.

23. Working at my dads Sunoco station in the early '70's. All the hot cars and bikes came in for the 260.

24. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Riding in the back of a pick up truck

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I am so glad I was able to experience that. It's so sad that so many fun things I experience growing up during the late 60s thru the 70s are unlawful today and what was once taboo is now embraced. Nuts.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  26. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

And dangling your feet off the tailgate, hitting your foot on the reflectors...

Hell were we thinking?

27. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

eating a sandwich at lunch time wrapped in waxed paper. 25 cent milkshakes at the Velvet Freeze.

28. - As an apprentice spreading all our shops used motor oil on the gravel lane to keep the dust down.
    - As a youngster sleeping on the rear package tray of our family car while driving home at night on the freeway.
    - Buying 3 Mojo's for 1 penny.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  29. Oh yes. I worked in a dealership in the 70s and about every 3 or so months we'd have a guy come in and pump out the used oil tanks. We made a few bucks for our 'party fund', and he made $$$ charging folks for 'dust control' on dirt roads in front of their homes. A fairly common practice back then.

30. This thread is reminiscent of the times when I was a child!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/13JK5kChbRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>