Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Hey John give me a Hollar on the side, I Sent you my Info in your Personal Messages. But here is my E-Mail [email protected]

2. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

First night out with a completely new drivetrain combination. We slowly kept chipping away at the timeslip, at the end of the night,but after five passes on a very hot and humid SoCal evening the concensus was more carburetor, and more gear is needed. This engine is making some very good HP, but over 6500, the 750double pumper is running out of air to feed it.... Stay tuned. The 7.19 @92 should start falling alot more......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etw05txXOfc

Oh, and yes, Roy took the stripe in our match race..........Drat....

3. 65COMET

65COMET

That 750HP worked fine on my 352" small block Ford,8500RPM ALL DAY LONG!!!! I took the WIN even after giving Dale a .052 head start,65 Comets with three pedals RULE!!! I was also in test mode,new clutch and flywheel,setting it up and getting it all to be happy with the rest of the car,still need three or four more hits,not quite right yet!!! ROY.

4. Race Artist

Race Artist

Nicely done ... should sit lower in the back though. Stance is important when doing restorations and replicas .... in my book at least.
    Joel

5. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I been looking at the "Ton Coward" 64 AFX Comet! It looks original but why dose it have a Autommatic Trans. All the Factory 64 AFX Comets had Ford Top Loaders. I was just wondering. If any body knows let me know. ~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;I could be wrong on this but I see clutch and brake pedals and that looks like a Hurst Verti-gate shifter,the reverse lever looks to be towards the rear of the shifter hump! ROY.

7. Looks like a stick to me....:confused:

8. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Sorry I didn't the see clutch down there! I been into Factory FX Comets for a long time and never seen a transmission cover like that, and a shifter like that one. I am learning new stuff on Comets all the time. Thanks for setting me straight. I am also a 3 petal Guy. ~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~

9. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The last 4 of July I went to a Lunchen with the Retired Dragrecing Team for Ford amd Mercury! Dennis K. was there and Al Turner the guys that ran the Mercury group and 64/65 AFX Comet Racing and Bill Holbrook who was running the Ford Dragracing team. A lot of interesting information that I found out, they have a lunchen on the first Thursday Noon of each Month. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;NO WORRIES on not seeing the clutch pedal,I had to look at the picture for a while,then I noticed the stick sticking up out of the rear of the boot.That piece at the bottom of the shift handle throws you a curve,not sure what it is,my Verti-Gate did not have that.I got to sit and listen to Bill Holbrook tell stories for a couple hours when I was in Oklahoma back in 2004,talked to him a few times over the years,Great Gentleman!!!! ROY.

11. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Wish someone would produce these for the 289!
    They're so cool!

[​IMG]

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;WOW,those,or some that fit a SBF,would be awesome.I would have a set on the Comet in a heart beat!!!! I have never seen those on a Y-Block anywhere!!! ROY.

13. COOL valve covers.
    I raced my comet last weekend at Rumble on the Runway in Port McNeil B.C.. It is an 1/8 track on an air strip. They run a complete race each day. On saturday I won the Sportsman class. It is a 8.00 and slower class.

[​IMG]

14. Big Dad

Big Dad

I can get them made

Kicker is ....I'd need about 100 sets pre-sold to do it

lead time would be about 60 days

Price ( and this a guess) but close ... $300 a set

15. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- You have anyone send you a picture of our matchrace the other night? I'm still searching to see if anyone took anything?...

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I have not seen anything! I think most people that were still there are the street race crowd and they had no idea what our cars were,they just knew they weren't ricers!!! I got a call from Ken,he is bringing his Comet out for CHRR,looking for a place to store it after CHRR as he wants to do Mooneyes Christmas Race. ROY.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  17. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale,Ken and anyone else that cares,the 2013 CHRR entry forms are on the NHRA website! ROY.

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;that is a cool photo of you and the 64 Falcon!! ROY.

19. the fletch

the fletch

hey guys, does anyone know where the dan weis manchester mercury ended up. dans getting on in years, and ive not had any luck .thanks

20. HPbyGD

HPbyGD

How does the length and width compare to a 289 ? You might be able to make an adapter to bolt them on. I put some BB chev valve covers on my 460 ford.
    GD :)

21. Falconred

Falconred

:(I've got to ask WHY????:confused: Frist time I have ever used these face thingies!!

22. dwood

dwood

can someone direct me to the R code thread. I read it the other evening and now unable to find it again.

23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Slow times in the Comet world, eh???? Lets see here...

In case anyone is interested, there are two, yes two, '65's over at the pick -a-part in Pomona. One- a sedan, the other, a hardtop... There......:D

24. JSLAPPA

JSLAPPA

Finally made it through this entire thread. What an amazing resource!

A couple summers ago I picked up a 64 2dr hardtop Caliente I saw parked in Paw Paw, Mi. My initial thought was to get it running and drive it while I searched for my dream car (66/67 Chevelle). But after reading this entire thread, and thoroughly enjoying all the stories, I think my Comet will be around for a while.

Mine is no Cyclone or FE car, but in case anyone is wondering:
    4J23K504750
    63C R 69 20L 52 1 6

<a href="http://s153.photobucket.com/user/jslappa/media/Comet/64Comet_zpse4bd5da5.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. 65COMET

65COMET

JSLAPPA;your 64 looks like a nice,solid car! It does not need to be an old drag car to be on here,64/65 Comets are welcome!!! ROY.

26. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  27. JSLAPPA

JSLAPPA

AD,
    Thanks for taking the time to decode my comet data. After I made it through about 100 pages of this thread, I was hooked. I started researching anything and everything related to 64 and 65 Comets. Put the below together, because it was in various places, but it was not all in one place. Now I have a quick cheat sheet for what she was and what she required right from the factory.

I wish I would have talked more to the previous owner. I am sure he did something with the engine. He had custom exhaust, air shocks in the rear, and she does NOT sound stock. Holly was junk so I threw on an Edelbrock 1407 carb. I'm sure she doesn't need 750 cfm, but she'll have to do for now.

[​IMG]

28. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Excellent job on the research! A couple of things to know...there is no such thing as a "D" code engine in the Comet line.That designation went to the Mustang,all consectutive unit numbers start with a "5" therefore your unit number is 4,750, the date code is actually November 20,1963.You have an early production Comet.Later production Comets have a horizontal trim piece at the bottom of the rear roof pillar.Nice Comet!

29. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/2013-irwindale-pix/8813-irwindale-pix/page3.html

Roy's epic battle with torque, traction, and ultimately, gravity, at last night's crack riddled 1/8th mile track at Irwindale. If you were in the stands like I was, watching the run , you could not even have heard his engine, as the crowd of 2,000 plus fans went CRAZY!!! Sorry for the carnage, Roy, but you put on one HELLUVA a pass !!!!

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;KRAZY!!!I unloaded the Comet this morning,it fired right up,just some minor exhaust noise.I jacked it up and looked it over,could not find any issues other than four header tubes that are very slightly dented,no holes,mostly look like they were dragged on the track for a bit!I did not start it to listen for the leaks,but they may be at the head flanges or possibly the collector to exhaust pipe flanges!I won't get to it until Sunday or Monday.I'm glad the crowd liked my wheelie!!! ROY.