Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can A 9 Inch Ford Take The Torque Of A 454?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Aug 8, 2013.

1. A stone stock 9" ford rear axle will take all the abuse a 454 street engine can dish out! HRP

2. slammed

slammed

Yes on reasonable driving habits. But a 'bad assed' LS motor will tax it.

3. Don't forget the BIG reason the Ford 9" is king; if you do break it, it's a simple matter to drop the pumpkin out and slap another one in (or have two; one for strip, one for street). Not the case with the Dana, 12 bolt, or Ford 8.8....

4. Larry T

Larry T

I saw a 390 Ford Fairlane stocker spit the pinion out at a drag strip in 1967. Not the last time I saw a driveshaft laying on the ground with the pinion still bolted up either.

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Post #9 is correct...... Those 8.8" jobs were used in trucks and S.U.V.'s that performed some serious duty.

4TTRUK

6. Ford built some 9 3/8" cases in the mid sixties, those were the ones that were famous for spitting the pinion out. Stick with a 'true' 9" and that won't be an issue. The early (57-59) WAR cases couldn't take big power either, but most of those are gone... I know I broke a ton of 'em....

7. This is a bit OT but the new COPO Camaros come from Chevrolet with a 9' rear............and a powerglide trans!

8. fortynut

fortynut

Nothing to add, but agree:'Poor Man's Quick Change'. Never leave home without it. At least in my jalopies. Hurrah!

9. So all the after market parts on most chevys or complete brodix motors they aren't really chevy then?? Thats what I thought. Nodular rear is ford and 31 spline axles are not c clip junk Just finished building a 8.8. Had to throw a pile of parts at it because it reassembled a gm
    I don't care what brand it is. You will see a pinion give up the ghost once in a while when the track bites back

10. wood337

wood337

My opinion....traction is the determining factor.

Street tires...probably never press the 9....just burning the tires is about like free-reving.

Slicks...you can and will break every single part of the 9"...the axles, the main caps, the factory posi, the pinion support, even a gearset...................................ask my how I know.

A bunch of aftermarket guts make them good...but the $ add up quick.

Even a stock Dana is so strong (and heavy) it's silly.

Just my opinion .... All-Season radials or slicks???

11. Scumdog

Scumdog

Much the same power plant etc but C6 & 2.75 gears.

My tyres are my 'weakest link'. (so far!)

12. classic gary

classic gary

i didn't know that, so i looked it up, damn, really, a 9" and a powerglide.
    and all this time............................

13. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

I'm sure that "your friend" is making plenty of horsepower in his drag car but 5HP per cubic inches? :confused: Naturally aspirated? I don't think so!

14. Be sure to install a pinion support, We use the steel one for street cars, the aluminum one for race cars.
    But either will be fine
    Speedy

15. Larry T

Larry T

Nope a complete Dart/Brodix/Ohio Crank/???????????? engine wouldn't be a Chevy, Ford, or whatever. Top Fuel engines aren't Chryslers. Brookville bodies aren't 32 Fords.

You're right about the 8.8's. I don;t see a nickles worth of difference in them and 8.5 GMs.
    I'm putting some 4.88's in an 8.8 as we speak. Supposed to be gone today, guess I'd better get back on it.

I really don't have anything against "9 inchers". I've got a fresh Strange case/Daytona pinion support/Detroit Locker/4.56 sitting in the shop right now. I might use it in my Anglia project. That would be the logical thing to do, but I keep hearing "12 bolt" run through my head.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. farmer12

farmer12

If the 9 inch is built right, it can handle the 454 without any problems.

17. BoB Beeman

BoB Beeman

You've really got to be kidding??? If it can take my 460 it'll take anything that 454 will put out .

18. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

and my opinion as well (been there)....in stock form with a stout motor they're junk

19. I witnessed almost the same thing one day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kracker36

kracker36

Well, since you said built right---there is an easy answer. Yes.

21. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

There is more parasic loss 9"

22. hemiwheelstand

hemiwheelstand

This thing has a 9 inch in it..................and a 2500hp fuel 427.
    Chris

Attached Files:

23. hankthecrank

hankthecrank
    from fenton mo

i have a dana 60 with 40 spline axles in my 70 chevelle . i dont think i will ever break it . it is a little heavier than a 9in .

24. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

That's easy. You can throw anything at a 9 inch if it's built right.

25. dan31

dan31

a 9" with mosiers and a true trac will stand up to it

26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stock case 9" pigs don't like slicks and hard launches. A minimum stock "N case" is required, aftermarket cases are better yet. The standard plain case is good for about 8-10 hard passes on slicks.

2 examples here, a stock case with a spool and 4.56 gears in a 2800lb SBC bracket racer S-10, truck ran mid-high 11s. Broke 2 stock cases in less than 20 passes.

A Moser 9" case with their spool and race axles, 54" wide with a back brace in a 3545lb bracket racer with a 725HP 477, 5500 stall w/brake, 4.88 gears. Over 450 passes without fail, with almost ZERO twist in the axles (31spline), car was in the low 10s with 1.40 60' times.

Just sayin...

27. rlsteel

rlsteel

both will work but a nothing looks more bad ass under a car than a Dana 60. RLS

28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

700 plus HP, Detroit Tru Trac, built 9" and no problems for over 10 years now. Either one built right will work.

29. kracker36

kracker36

Vague statement. More parasitic loss than what?? More parasitic than a chain and sprocket?

30. Larry T

Larry T

".......Along the way in my discussion with Strange Engineering’s tech, we discussed the down side of the Ford 9” which is that it takes 2 to 3 percent more horsepower to turn it. So theoretically, if you are running a Ford 9” rear against a person with the exact same setup as you BUT he has a 12 bolt or a Dana 60, or a 8.5” 10 bolt, he will most likely run a faster drag race than you........"

But we're probably talking less than .10 in a quarter. Not real important--------unless you're class racing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013