Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 merc hardtop chopping questions ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyrottenedsel, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

Im really interested in chopping my mercury , was wondering if anyone had any pics or things to look out for during the process ( i dont need final pics , only during chop pics) please its a 1956 , im only going 2&1/2"

2. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

Make sure you got a buddy or something to help hold the roof up!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375982153.148307.jpg
    I did mine alone

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

4. Search the Internet for Blaine Kauffmann's 56 Merc, he chopped it right brand new, coolest version of this car Ive ever seen....

5. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376019773.454296.jpg

6. Chopped 4" ,lowered6" perfect proportions!

7. metalman

metalman

Please tell me you have lot's of skill and experiance chopping tops before you cut up your hardtop(not one to learn on), or someone helping you is. That's a very tuff chop to pull off and a glass man's nightmare! Personally I think the preportions on a 56 Merc HT are about perfect stock, I'd suggest really thinking hard about it before you cut it.

8. I'd stick with 2-3 inches. that windshield gets narrow as it gets shorter. You'll have to remove or move the pinch welds in on the A pillars at 4 inch.

9. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Boy, that will be a tough one to chop. Good luck with it if you decide to do it.

10. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Got to agree!

11. twochops

twochops

Attached Files:

12. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

13. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

14. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

Nope, never chopped anything .... And i agree , the stock hardtop height is great , i only wana go 2" ,, ive been fabricating for 10 years now , and done a ton of sheetmetal work , the only thing that scares me is the glass but im pretty sure since im only goin 2 " i mite be able to just sink the window channels down and run my stock glass with just my own made weatherstripping.... Not 100% yet

15. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I'm building a custom 55 myself and I picked it cuz they they have great lines and a factory chop. Metalman is right, do some real soul searching before you make that first cut and if you do 4" is tooooo much ! Good luck and I will be following your progress.

16. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

If you want to see what I think is the perfect chop check out Pepe Hereria's candy blue 56.

17. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

If you got sheetmetal experience I think you can handle this chop. It's only metal. Some people like to chop the rear alittle more then the front. Might want to look into that.

Ryan

18. metalman

metalman

Yikes. Your first chop? Not the one to learn on IMHO, fwiw I've been chopping tops for 30 years professionally and any car with wrap around windows front and back would give me a headache. Sinking the windows are not as easy as it looks and opens up a new set of problems, espesally under dash issues in many cases. Do you have the skills to deal with the small stuff like welding up and dressing the stainless trim? Gotta be done to look right. Plan out EVERYTHING before you cut anything, I've seen so many chop tops fail when the builder runs into a wall, problems they didn't forsee or worry about till it was too late. I don't mean to rain on your parade and if you think you can do it go for it. Just do yourself a favor and honestly judge your skill level first.

19. I'm a BIG fan of the '56 and think it's one of the best looking cars right out of the box! A little attitude adjustment on the suspension is all it needs. I've had the magazine cover of Pepe Hereria's Mercury pinned to the wall for years.

20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

'56 hardtops are pretty enough. Not saying it couldn't be improved to someone's own tastes. But That time might be better spent behind the wheel driving the already-pretty car. If a person has just got to get their grinder going, there are a ton of ugly cars that could use that kind of help.

21. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

I dont think he was asking your opinions IF he should do it but rather tips on how to do it.
    Measure more times than you cut!

I love mine! 4 1/2 in the front and 7 in the back.

Attached Files:

22. Ryguy442

Ryguy442
    from Nc

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376525603.051245.jpg
    Looks bad ass! I have two hub caps that match your front ones if your interested!

23. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

What I really need are original rear skirts
    These are cool but a HUGE pain to R&R.

Attached Files:

24. sledneck1

sledneck1
    from Quincy

image.jpg I chopped my 56 slant chopped it! Pretty difficult process tabbing up a whole new section for the rear glass

25. I agree!! By the way, your 56 is bad ass! My uncle sold his 56 chopped montclair a while back and he regrets it to this day. I almost forgot...I believe I have a pair of stock but modified skirts if yo might be interested.

26. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

27. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

anyone remember this one fron Salinas Calif? always wondered who chopped it.

28. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

great looking cars with a chop...

29. Dirtyrottenedsel

Dirtyrottenedsel
    from Stanislaus

Well guys its done .... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413167167.397985.jpg

birdog likes this.