Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 2, 2010.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Oftentimes its a matter of going back to the basics, along with a bit of the 3 Ps; "patience, perseverance and profanity". Works every time :D

2. n847

n847

Well after weeks of banging my head against the wall I finally managed to get er whipped! I can't even possibly explain how awesome it feels to have it figured out! Sometimes it's good to be too broke to buy new parts or pay someone else to fix it...sure it would have been easier and a hell of a lot quicker but what would have been the fun in that! If it were easy everyone would do it right!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. silverdome

silverdome

So, what'd you find?

4. n847

n847

Sorry I'm using my wife's iPad and it's so hard to type...long story short my carb was missing the secondary metering plate that goes between the secondary metering block and the main body of the carb. It wasn't there before the rebuild so I just assumed this was just another version of the 4160 carb and it didn't need that plate. While killing time I decided to pull the carb and blow it apart to inspect my work. A buddy gave me a completely stripped down 4160 with a rebuild kit he had laying around in a box for the last 5 years so I cleaned up the crusty old plate off that carb threw the left over gasket from my kit on it and bolted it back together! When all the dust settled the carb was missing that plate, had a blown power valve gasket, the choke plate was slammed into the body so far it wouldn't even shut, and the electric choke thermostat wasn't even hooked up inside the housing. I don't understand how it even ran before, much less ran decent, although rich. Now I'm able to run the timing right on 12 degrees BTDC with no missing stumbles or rough idle. I'm even running the idle air mix at the standard 1 1/2 turns. Like I said its gonna need a few tweaks but it's never run like this! I can't thank the guys who gave suggestions on here and on instagram enough! I can't wait to get the mess cleaned up on and around the engine and get some miles on er!

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just think of all you've learned by chasing the problems. Stuff like that can filed in the "I remember when" category. Good job!

6. daddio211

daddio211

7. n847

n847

Yep it was a learning situation for sure! I feel very confidet in my ability to rebuild a 4160 now...lol

8. silverdome

silverdome

GOOD NEWS!
    Those learning experiences have a way of sticking with you.

9. n847

n847

Finally got the engine bay cleaned up re routed all my plug wires, and touched up some stuff around there that I scraped up or spilled gas on! Then had to d o something to remind me Im just doing this to have fun!

Attached Files:

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

LOL! I like both pictures!

11. mack57

mack57

That's awesome!!

12. farmer12

farmer12

Agree!

13. n847

n847

Thanks guys I was feeling saucy so I added my new motto to the drivers side rocker which also happens to be the worst body work on the whole car!

I took a day off and spent most of it tuning the motor. It was falling on its face when ever I tried to lean on it after a whole day of wasted time I retarded the timing a hair and took er around the block...no hesitation this time! Nothing but white smoke and smiles! Im gonna put some miles on it tomorrow and run it down to a big ass cruise in with my dad and uncle who gave me the car 3 years ago (and hasn't seen it since). My plan is to throw him the keys and let him drive it over! Plus side is I'll get to roll in his 68 buick!

Attached Files:

14. n847

n847

Took the Plymouth to Franklin Ohio with my dad in his Vette for a big cruise night yesterday. We met up with my uncle in his 68 and one of his buddies with a beastlty big block Chevelle and my aunt in her new daily driver 68 f1. Had a nice drive over to the show, then hung out for the evening. Best part was the late night blast home! The cars running pretty good. Not a single hiccup and we probably put nearly a hundred miles on er last night. Some of it in traffic and she never got hot so I'm pretty happy! I'm gonna work on the transmission leak by replacing the pan gasket soon, and continue to tune. But mostly just cruise and get some miles on er...hopefully!

I stuck in a few of my favorite pictures from the cruise in I thought you guys might appreciate, including 2 of the cleanest builds I've seen in a while!

Attached Files:

15. n847

n847

Heres a shot of my uncle checking out the Plymouth for the first time in 3 years. He owned this car longer than I've been alive...he was really excited to see it back on the road. I only wish I could have gotten a picture when I came around the corner and saw the look on his face standing in the driveway!

Attached Files:

16. n847

n847

Duplicate post....not sure why...damn phone!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  17. choptop40

choptop40

excellent thread , appreciate the effort to share your build....rock on

18. n847

n847

Nothing much to report just driving when I have the gas money! Loving it...been doing a little leather work has gotten the ole creative juices flowing and I'm thinking about some aesthetic improvements in the near future...but I've been more busy than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest lately so we'll see when I get to it! On a side note I'm getting back into some leather work (belts, keychains, and what not) so if your looking for something custom let me know!

Attached Files:

19. great pictures...do you know if someone fabbed up the mounts or did they come from that place Butches Cool Stuff or whatever it is called...we are about to do an SBC in Seabass49 's 49 Coronet

20. n847

n847

These were pre fab but I dont know where they were from. Kinda looks like generic Speedway style. Butch is just down the road from me and his stuff looks really nice! Same basic design but his probably wouldn't need to have a 1/2" gap filled with weld like mine!

21. n847

n847

I've been wanting to fix my ghetto ass shifter opening for a while but I haven't had the time or a welder to fab a steel inspection panel like I want so I came up with this idea over a few beers last week and I knocked it out today. I think it came out cool. Its not a permanent piece but its a good calling card to push some leather goods at local shows till I get it all squared away! I stuck on a picture of my previous coffee can set up. The leather is gonna work kinda like a boot. I'm gonna seal it all up this week with weather strip and some silicone.

Attached Files:

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man thats killer!

23. n847

n847

Thanks Eli...I've been trying to find ways to incorporate some of the leather work without it looking forced. I think this came out ok.

24. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Yep, leather came out good. I would try to protect it from road grime somehow - rubber layer underneath maybe? Dust shield from galvie sheet metal? Old fashioned soaking in neatsfoot oil?

25. n847

n847

Its got a sealer on it and the aluminum sheet is still down there. I'm planning on getting some rubber matting like Plumbid used on his Plymouth gasser or a product like raptor liner to coat the floor this winter. Plus that shit adds character....well not really but when I get my inspection panel done I'll be framing the leather up to hang in my sons room!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I would leave the leather in place actually. As you say, adds character. Get it close to the color of the carpet but not exactly the same and point to it with pride for years to come.

27. n847

n847

Thanks for the vote of confidence builtfercomort!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. n847

n847

Most likely wont be much accomplished on the project for a while were gonna have to move here pretty soon! I've got to start packing a little bit at a time so I dont have such a mad dash shock to the system when the time comes around.
    I'm kinda struggling with the thought of the whole process at the moment. I've made some great memories and learned a ton in this garage...and yes I've out grown it but I know I've been blessed to have it! Theres a lot of you all out there with no garage at all doing way more than me with your cars! I can only hope to find a suitable replacement in my budget. Its a long story (like most of my stories) but I just have to do what's right for the family and at this point that means finding a house we can better afford. This isn't a sob story just another kink in the road for this project and my life. If this all works out though wherever we land I should be in a much better place budget wise (and in turn mentally) to focus on this build and try to progress!

I'm gonna miss this garage! Oh and the house was pretty damn kick ass to!

Rant over! Next week I'm planning on hitting a couple local cruises so hopefully I can blow off some steam by then!

Attached Files:

29. daddio211

daddio211