Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects COE build thread - "Git r' done"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kscarguy

kscarguy

Dang. I though that Canadians were suppossed to be friendly...:confused:

2. kscarguy

kscarguy

I dreaded tearing it all apart but it had to be done . Included is a picture of the "soon to be replaced" engine cradle mounted incorrectly to the frame flange, and the burnt off "new" header paint.

Frame gusset fabrication and install is next. To get easier access to the frame, I might look to see if I can unbolt the cab from the chassis and (easily) tilt it forward a slight amount to better weld the supports into place. I would like to lift the back of the cab up about 5 to 6 inches but I don't want to get too ridiculous about tearing all the electrical and cooling system connections apart. I will have to remove the engine (eventually) so I can repaint the frame after welding on it.

Truck looks naked without the bed and boxes. It was so much fun pushing it back into the garage by myself in the 92 degree heat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. xtremek

xtremek

And you did all this without burning the garage down? ;) It looks like you've almost hit bottom and are getting closer to reassembly. Another couple of months?

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

Here is the first frame brace. It took a lot of tweaking on the front to get it bent just right, however It does fit far better than I ever expected. The bend is due to the fact that the front of the COE frame is tapered.

Before I can attach it permanently, I need to drill a few more plug weld holes along the front bottom and prep the paint on the COE frame with weld through primer. I am also kicking around the idea of just bolting it on temporarily until I get the new engine mount built. That would sure make building the new mount much easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. that looks bullit proof :) nice !

6. kscarguy

kscarguy

I finished building the second gusset plate and I am moving on to mounting the running board brackets. I drilled holes in the gusset plate, ran flat-head allen bolts from the backside and bolted the brackets to the gusset plate. Now that I confirmed it fits correctly, I will weld the bolts into the plate and move on to mounting the plates to the frame.

[​IMG]

7. Hey Mike, have you considered "Hucking" those brackets to the frame? There's got to be a shop or two that have a Huck riveter in the area that you might get access to. They are easier on the frame metal and a lot more resilient pound for pound.

8. kscarguy

kscarguy

I have definitely not considered that...since I've never heard of it before. Dang, now I will have to spend time on google to see what it is.

9. These work good but they have a wide selection of products. Anyone building heavy truck/trailer equipment probably has the rivet gun.

http://huckfastening.com/lock-bolts/c50l.php

10. kscarguy

kscarguy

I'm working on the sub frame and box mounts.

After welding the notches in the sub frame for the mounts (199), I discovered the entire frame had warped. I made some cuts and used my tube bender to apply pressure and to hold it straight while I welded the cuts back together. It worked great. Still a lot of work to do, but I am making progress.

[​IMG]

Here I am trying to align the boxes with the frame all for one reason, to drill a hole through the frame (where the drill is stuck in hole in the second picture) and through the front box mount bracket. I cannot do it on the truck, because the engine is in the way. Note the "adjustable" stand at the far end...my drill press table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another shot looking down the sub frame rail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  11. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Great job,......love the truck !

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

I need a bigger garage. I'm just lucky my wife is out of town since she parks her new car in the garage every night.

[​IMG]

13. gwarren007

gwarren007

14. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

from the looks of things, is she ever coming back? nice work tho. glad to hear you havent had any more misadventures.

15. kscarguy

kscarguy

Latest misadventure is a complaining neighbor who called the cops and told them that I make noise in the garage seven days a week. To which my wife said, "NOT a chance. If he worked on it seven days a week, it would be done already!" (Hard to make that claim stick when I've been out with stitches and burns.) To be decent, I now keep the garage doors closed most of the time I am out there.

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Neighbour calls the cops instead of talking to you? What an ass...

17. kscarguy

kscarguy

all I can say is...no rides for them when it is done! :eek:

18. daddio211

daddio211

19. Large ultraviolet light focused through his dining room window, give him the sun burn of a lifetime about once a week!

20. holt1

holt1

Very cool! As an old truck driver I'm compelled to see it with dual rear axles! :)

21. kscarguy

kscarguy

I had to fix a twist on the sub frame that I caused when I welded in the notches for the box brackets. The middle twist has already been corrected by cutting on the underside (red line) and welding it back together straight. I discovered today that I need to fix the front ones too. This side view drawing explains it better. (It is exaggerated in the drawing)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  22. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

are you that scary to talk too? you do have an ass for a neighbor.

23. gkent

gkent

Now you know why just about everything a truck frame is bolted or riveted!

24. kscarguy

kscarguy

No I'm not scary. In fact I get along well with everyone else in the neighborhood and have a lot of friends. Unfortunately, I just happen to have one of the worst neighbors living next door. I really suspect the wife is bi-polar or something.

I am not going to let it get to me, but instead I am going to get my truck running, and move away from St Louis...(and buy/build something with a bigger garage). I never really felt at home here anyway.

Now, if I can only convince my wife to move close to the beach, then I'd be as cool as Bill...:rolleyes:

25. toxonix

toxonix

"and buy/build something with a bigger garage"

I hear that. I want to find a disused airport in the desert littered with old service equipment and airplane hangars. And be an hour or two from the beach and mountains.
    But I'd settle for an old service station with 3-4 bays and a house out back.

26. tinwizard

tinwizard
    from Northwest

...... and speaking of Bill, he does indeed have a great location in OZ .... and has a very cool COE about to be all done. He's been a great resource in my efforts to finally get a COE underway in the last 10 years or so. For all of you that like our hot rod trucks, you should go look at his website. Do a google for COE trucks and Australia ... you will be amazed.

KS ..... I've been watching and carefully archiving all your efforts in your COE build ..... as per instructions from Bill. I especially like the under bed cabinet doors. I know of only one other guy that has ever done such stuff ... and he doesn't even have a COE.

My current project is a 1940 IHC D300 COE ... and of course far from stock. I'll get some photos added to the COE thread in a couple of weeks or so. I applaud your idea of moving to a bigger plot of land and putting up a BIG shop.

My wife was a city girl, and wasn't too pleased about our moving to some acres 25 years ago .... but it had 2 shops, and a barn, & oh yeah a house. Took me 10 years of rehabbing the house to make it so she now would not live anywhere else. It can work out.

Last thing KS ... send me a PM .... and I can share some COE images you might like .. once again as per Bill's suggestions?? (grin)

Tinwizard in Spokane

27. kscarguy

kscarguy

Well the saga continues. My wife is about to get a job offer that will move us back to Kansas City (yeah!?!) BUT, now I have to finish all the little house projects, clean the house so it sparkles and shines, AND finish my fabrication and reassemble the COE so it can be moved...all in one week (OMG!) On top of all that I have to figure out where to live.

I guess the lesson is, be careful what you wish for.

28. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

i dont envy the amount of work in front of you, especially judging by the pics of just this project you have going. you are going to be too tired to post much of anything.

29. Just be very, very careful!!! And good luck on your move!

30. kscarguy

kscarguy

Our move will be NOTHING compared to yours...luckily I don't need an entire semi to move my single hotrod.

I did magage to finish straightening the subframe before I reinstalled it. Wow what a pain. Align it, tack weld, let it cool, full weld, let it cool, discover it is slightly crooked, then cut and start over...!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.