Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new project...Survivor channeled Deuce Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thequietwon, Aug 5, 2013.

1. OK Sam,,all these guys that want you to preserve the history and leave it the way it is,,,put a price on it and see which one steps up with the cash! HRP

2. If I wanted to be a curator I would buy a museum. Cut it up! or in this case UN-cut it up

3. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

for those of you saying he will "ruin" the history of the car...if this car had any significant history, we would have known about it already and it would have sold in a heart beat. Fact of the matter is its not a well known car as it is not the best in design and execution. What's wrong with changing the car for the better, because honestly a lot can be improved on. Where does the survivor thing stop? what will we do for projects if everything has "history"??? There are 2 builds on the HAMB that started with survivors that I doubt anybody would say a bad word about them...Norwell's diamond deuce 32 pickup was an old hot rod (a nice one too) and Jeff made it his own, and did a amazing job doing so.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279058

The other is the survivor by Rich. folks were ready to lynch Rich for rebuilding this car. But as he took it apart, there were several things that needed attention in order for it to be safe. The finished product is awesome and not ruined
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435550&highlight=retro+rides+survivor

4. Ugly is ugly, no time capsule can ever change that. Others had a chance to buy and preserve that thing, but you saw it for what it is, something reasonable that can be outstanding. Change away. This forum has taken on a little bit much of the purist/restorer attitude everyone bemoans, or used to bemoan.

Make your changes and be happy.

5. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The more I read and think about it I can see it both ways. The example of Norwells truck really puts it in perspective. I have seen Sam's coupe in person and its rad. I am sure the car will turn our great either way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

It seems that hot rod history has become more important than hot ridding.

If it is too small or uncomfortable to drive then is it worth redoing or sell it and move on? After all, if it isn't something you want to drive it will end up a garage queen for the next person to "discover" later on.

Someone probably would like to preserve this "survivor" as it does does exemplify tha 50s-60s east coast style. It has a great story. But at what point do hot rods become museum pieces with their period correct parts?

Is this about preserving the past or driving into the future?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Really wasn't trying to stir the pot, it is his car and I'm sure whatever he does will be nice..... and I appreciate the fact he is struggling with changing it.... that's why i had to give my two cents!

Its funny to me that some think that history only matters if it was well known...

If you find any person of age, especially of this golden era of the guys who would have built these early Hot rods, and talk to them you will hear some amazing stories. Stories that may not have changed the world, but were part of the world as it was. Real life stories..... and if you are smart, there is a lot to be learned from them.

I used to spend Sundays with my Grandparents and would make them tell me stories.... to the point that they would be annoyed sometimes, ha, but I just wanted to know how it used to be. Not what I thought it was like, but really learning about the past.... through their experience.

To me those stories were golden, I still draw from them in the choices I make.

To me looking at these old Hot Rods, especially ones that are so intact and complete is just like hearing these stories.

This is a great example of a real life Hot Rod. Its very special. Somehow it made it this far without being changed and I think that's amazing.

And I understand how it can be.... its tough to leave it alone, what are you suppose to do, put it in a museum? Aren't hot rods meant to be driven, and isn't the very nature of hot rodding cutting up things from the past.... It would be cooler if it had the axle in the right spot and it was more comfortable etc.....man I get it! its hard. But damn...it made it this far.

Anyway it seems people are getting heated or whatever, but its pretty cool to see.... I would be trying to find old pictures and talk to those guys who were there when it was built.... either way it will only add to the story...

This is a picture of my roadster in 1956..... man I would kill for those fenders and goofy ass nerf bars.... they were on there to keep the cops away.... and probably thrown awy at some point....

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  8. AHotRod

AHotRod

STOP! Don't change it ! NO !

Keep it as it is, if you fall out of love with it, then sell it someone that loves it the way it is.

You and your wife were chosen to take care of it and drive it, just the way it is.

God Bless!
    Glenn

9. Bob,I won't exactly call it heated but more passionate in the overall response,,it's a good thing IMHO that people care and want both sides heard,,I still respect your opinion of hanging on to the survivor aspect although I don't completely agree,,we are still friends! :) HRP

10. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The unusual proportions are what gives that car character. It's rad. Really, really, rad. You look at it and instantly it leaps out at you and screams "I was built in the 50's". Awesome.

I agree with Bob. It's a shame to change it, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do. It will look more proportional, or feel better, etc.. but will lose something in the process. Something that not a lot of guys on here care about anyway. But I do urge all the "It your car" types to try and appreciate where the "Don't touch it" types are coming from. We need to preserve what we can, and in the process teach each other how to appreciate these things. Maybe I'm rambling I dunno. That car is cool as hell though. Congrats on the find!

11. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

What he said. The car's bitchin, but if you can't drive/enjoy it, it's worthless. My 2ct.

12. thequietwon

thequietwon

My wife took these pics...

Attached Files:

13. I think it would bug me not being able to fit in it properly and also knowing how good it could look with just a few changes. I think your list of changes would do wonders for the car. It has the proportions of a Jeep right now. Don´t do anything you can´t change back, if it´s a concern.

The fact that it didn´t easily sell at the swap meet it came from tells you all you need to know about it´s desireability.

14. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Mines an east coast surviver like yours that's how they did it back then , leave it as is that's my vote ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375827600.881286.jpg

Posted from Ar

15. thequietwon

thequietwon

This style of car isn't for me. I appreciate the history. The nerf bars & fenders are for sure coming off of it. ALL OF THAT STUFF just unbolts, NOTHING will be hurt. A 32 wishbone is for sure going back into it. Once again, the original front end will not be hurt.
    My only delima now is if I unchannel it or not. If there is any way I can make the car drivable and make it look like it was always that way I will. I am still trying to do that now. However, I am not going to butcher the original seat to rig something up. Why? Because if I do unchannel it, I can leave the interior virtually unharmed. And when I am done, the car will look like it has always been that way. If I do unchannel it, nothing else will be touched. It will still have the Z in the rear, the cut down T gas tank, and probably still no trunk floor.
    I appreciate hot rod history, probably more than most. Anyone who has seen my 5 window knows this. There is a reason that car was put back with an early SBC & '39 Tranny. There is a reason that no paint work has been done to it. It's a survivor. And yes, I changed it to suit me. But I went out of my way to make it look like it has always been that way.
    I keep coming back to the fact that this car sat at arguably the biggest car show in the country, with no serious interest whatsoever. This car was initially priced at 32,000. That is an unbelievable price for a running driving '32 of any kind, especially a survivor, yet alone a roadster. When I saw the car Saturday afternoon, it had been marked down to 22,000. I bought the car for less than that, and did so around 1:00 on Sat. If anyone else had shown interest in it on Saturday, they could have done the same.
    So I'll throw it out there...if anyone has a nice Henry Ford roadster project or similar that they would be interested in trading with let me know.

Sam

16. thequietwon

thequietwon

Austinrod...
    I love your Roadster. That is almost exactly what I have in mind. If I can drive it, that is how it will be. How tall are you? Any more pics of the car?
    Thanks...
    Sam

17. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I'm 5'8 but my steering wheel is in my crotch I still wouldn't change it tho
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375828708.246255.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1375828743.864047.jpg
    My roadster tread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714179
    Buy the way love the car great find

Posted from Ar

18. skwurl

skwurl

Why not build some nerf bars and goofy fenders for it. Those headers are whacky looking to me, but it's your car. Your car has enough documentation to put it back the way it was. Heck I've seen your work you could probably do it an afternoon. I have known Sam for a while now. This is his 4th 32 that was an old hot rod. He knows what he's doing. The 3w he has is legendary around here but it would be labeled poorly here if it were posted as a recent build because of the way it is put together. He called me today and we were discussing how to try and keep it channeled. The axle and overall proportions need to be addressed. The car is crazy cool but if he don't like it what's the point? The overall look will most likely be kept in tact with the exception of the proportions.

19. hudson48

hudson48

I am for keeping it basically the same with a few changes such as the front end etc.I am over 6 foot and used a glass body that has doors 2 inches longer and cabin 2 inches longer by taking some material out of the panel between the back of the cabin and the front edge of the trunk.I fit in this car great.

The doors lengthened may be a big call but maybe not the change to the cabin length to give you more leg room.Also recessed the seat base to give more room for cushion in the seat base.

Attached Files:

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... Great car... and interesting debate. If it were mine, I'd make some small changes in an effort to improve the proportions and clean the lines, but I wouldn't get too crazy with it. Set aside the fenders and nerf bars... and clean it up a bit. That might be all she needs...

To me the really tough decision would be to keep or "fix" the grille shell. A part of me would want to keep it just as is and another part of me would want to do a nice sectioned deuce shell set at the right height. Tough one.

If you don't want a channeled car, sell that one... It's took great of a survivor to change too much in my opinion.

Either way. Great car!

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Agreed... But at the same time, these "no name" home builds are often a more accurate representation of an every day hot rod from the day. And they are so much fun to study... Some guys really appreciate them. So don't. It's all good.

22. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

If it was just found in a barn, or not running or missing a bunch of parts I would say yeah make it awesome! It really does look like a jeep.... ha
    But the fact that it is in such great shape and complete... it's complicated.... kind of like buying an unrestored piece of antique furniture getting it home and realizing it doesn't fit in your house....

I suppose you could cut it up, and make it fit.... possibly even making it better than before, but it wouldn't be an unrestored antique anymore!

This car seems to be a true nut and bolt survivor, thats really hard to find.... and it will only be that way once.

Maybe the guy who built it had a thing for jeeps.....

It is a slippery slope. once you change the front, then the grill shell will look stupid, if you change it then the hood wont fit so then make a different hood, then you change the pedals and still don't fit so you unchannel it and realize the stance doesn't vibe with a highboy.... so then you put a new frame under it and realize it might be a little cooler with a flathead... etc....

There is nothing wrong with any of that, but as soon as you start changing it, it just wont be that car anymore....

To be honest when I was building my roadster I wasn't going to use the headers.... I thought they were weird, I've even thought of putting a coupe body on that frame because its not a real roadster..... but now after thousands of miles.... I wouldn't have it any other way.... I love my weird headers.... plus they have been on that car longer than I have been alive.

So anyway it is an amazing car and you should be proud of it! good luck with the new version.... just please take lots of detail pictures so you can so show it used to be...

Maybe even give some of these photographer guys a chance to shoot it, I bet there are a few magazines that might even run a story on it.... especially if you can get more info or old pics... just a thought.

Nice Jeep bro.

23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Great car. Similar to the thoughts above, i appreciate the non-famous survivors more than the ones we are all familiar with. Subtle changes will not ruin the soul and character of the car. IMO if you decide to unchannel it, it would be best to start with a different car. Once unchanneled it will now be known as a hiboy that use to be an old channeled hotrod.
    I am 6-3 and fit in a 27 T roadster. Seat on the floor, knees up, head slightly above the windshield. Comfortable, no. Tolerable, enough to drive 4 hours between gas stops. Good luck.

24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Its a bitchen old roadster and had a similar issue with mine and was going to unchannel her. I'm 6*3 and 235# with big feet and mine is 3 on the tree to boot. . I use a small cushion and have the back all the way to the deck. In traffic I stick up a bit but on the road I slid down and its comfortable. I will change a few things like I.will sink in a seat in time move the column over a inch for my thigh. Mine was built back in the day and love the channel job the longer I have it.
    Its your ride but a trip to yoir trim upholstery guy might help you problem.

Attached Files:

25. Damned if you do,,damned if you don't! :rolleyes: HRP

26. F&J

F&J

excellent posting IMO.

BTW, I wonder why it is this particular car, that seems to be drawing so many peoples attention on both sides of the fence. There have been others, but not nearly this intense.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Easy... This car has really awkward proportions... but it's literally an untouched example of what it used to be and that's HARD to find. As a result, it brings both camps out. I don't think either camp is really wrong, but if the owner is in the "cut it" crowd, I think the smartest thing to do would be to sell the car to someone that appreciates it. Hell, it's prolly worth more as it sits than as a "new" build.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a 'fix' I did on two different channeled Deuces, one a 5-window Coupe and one a roadster. I only 'un-channeled' both cars 4", leaving some frame visible below the rocker lines...Some work, but gave GOBS more interior room.
    The Coupe needed 'lap room', so it got an F100 box perched atop the rail, setting the drag link level with the ground...and the steering wheel OFF the owner's knees! (farther back, and 'up' out of the way)

Roadster owner was 6'4, si I cut pans into the seat floors, using 3" belt mat'l in a criss-cross pattern. Seat looked like a 3" rise, until he sat in it. Down 3", and his eyes were at the top frame of the 2-1/2" windshield chop.

Both were still 'channeled', but showed off their '32 rails...at least the 'Beauty Reveals'.
    I'd still raise that dog look in the rear... (Kick...) "And STAY out!"

29. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

This all reminds me of a friend of mines car he just got recently.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814209

30. You got that right Jack,uh,er I mean Larry! :D HRP