Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Canucks Build: My Model "eh"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by liv4ths, Jul 30, 2013.

1. liv4ths

liv4ths

Hello everybody! I figured I would start this thread off with a bit of a story. At some point in time I went out to go visit with one of my parent’s neighbours. After a bit of chit chat we ended up on the topic of old cars. He told me that a few years ago he and a buddy were over at this guy’s place helping him to rebuild a shop and as he was walking to go get some more wood he noticed an old car sitting in a shed. He wasn’t sure exactly what it was but he said it looked like a box. Turns out that the fellow he was helping I’ve known since I was pretty young. Me being me I just had to go and check it out. So I head over one weekend and asked him if he had an old car sitting in one of his sheds. He tells me there is and asks if I would like to go see it. The answer of course was yes so he took me over to the shed. As we were walking he tells me that the car has been sitting there for forty years and he remembers the day they drove it in there. So we get to the shed and this is what I find.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I couldn’t believe it! A 1929 Ford Model A Tudor! As I’m checking it out he asks me if I’d like to buy it. I couldn’t say no so over a cup of coffee a deal was struck. Now all I had to do was get it home. But seeing as it was winter at the time I had to wait till the ground thawed out since the car was frozen to the ground and I didn’t want to wreck anything trying to break it loose. So skip forward a couple of months and I was finally able to go pull her out of the shed. Once I got it over to my parents place I noticed that the hand crank was sitting in the car. I just couldn’t resist trying to crank the motor over so I stuck it that 4-banger and tried giving her a turn. I was able to turn that motor over like it just came off the factory line! I had a 6 volt battery lying around so I went to fetch it. But before I tried using the starter I made sure it had some oil in it. There was lots of oil and it looked very clean as well. So I pulled the spark plugs and gave them a bit of a cleaning. Now it was time to connect the battery. Once I had everything hooked up I gave her a try. She instantly started turning over but would not fire up. I don’t think it’ll take much to get running, hopefully! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But this car is now being put on hold as I purchased another car today. I bought a 1928 Ford Model A Special Coupe! She runs and drives but needs a bit of work to be able to get it on the road. I’m quite excited about this car as coupes are my favourite! Work on the coupe will start once my dad’s shop is finished being built. I’ll be going to go pick it up this Saturday! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Good find(s) man, what are your plans?

I too have a Special (aka Leatherback) coupe.

[​IMG]

3. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

4. Pete

Pete

Right on! Those will make nice hot rods.

Pete-

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Careful, model As are contagious. Congrats.

6. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

It's about time. I thought I was the only person into hotrods in Winnipeg thats under 30. Everyone else is hooked on that Winnipeg Heights. Love the coupe. Where did it come from? My buddy has a 30 Sport Coupe and tons of parts.

7. liv4ths

liv4ths

For right now the plan is to get the coupe on the road as it is right now. I will probably put a new top on it though. When the time comes to really start the build I'm aiming in the directon like Logan's special coupe. He did a beautiful job on that car and I just really love that look

Haha hot rods are the way to go! And I bought the car from a friend of mine here in Manitoba!

8. liv4ths

liv4ths

Figured I might as well throw up this video too! Sorry for the poor quality.
    [​IMG]

9. Canuck

Canuck

Welcome to the Winnipeg Model A group. Nice to see someone else doing a A coupe. :D:D:D

Canuck

10. Nice score! Congratulations and Good Luck!

11. Cool man!
    You're putting nice collection together

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Very Cool cars keep us posted

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. ricco

ricco

Nice finds! Good to see a couple more model A's getting a second life.

14. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Great save on that Tudor. Would have been a shame if the barn came down on it. Now get it running! :)

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

That picture of the shed in the snow, early September?

Good luck with your projects hope you don't mind if I follow along.

16. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

modelaspcoupe.jpg As soon as I saw your pics I dug out this picture from about 10 years ago and thought you would get a kick out of it. It’s scanned so quality is not the best.. but classic!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  17. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats!! I also have a Special Coupe. Tops are bit of a pain... I rebuilt most of the wood myself, but had an upholstery shop to the actual top.
    Keep us updated!

-Jeremy

18. liv4ths

liv4ths

The pictures where the tudor is still sitting in the shed would have been taken near the end of January.

That picture is awesome! Looks like the same car too haha!

19. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

It actually is the same car, that pic was taken in Philly's driveway.

20. liv4ths

liv4ths

Haha no way! I'll have to show Teddy and Phil the picture when I go to pick up the car. Thanks for sharing it!

21. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

For sure, Phill actually knew I was posting it. Teddy would get a kick out of it, he probably forgot I took that pic lol

22. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

2 very nice finds, congrats. Plans yet for either one?

23. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Hope you know I was just kidding you, I know it is cold in Winnipeg but not that cold! :) Good luck.

24. liv4ths

liv4ths

For now the tudor is being put on the backburner. As for the coupe, I'm thinking I'm going to leave the 4 banger in it for now, do some bodywork/paint and put a new top on her just so I can drive it around for a summer or two or until I've saved up some money to really dive into the build.

Lol, thanks man!

25. liv4ths

liv4ths

So over this past weekend I went to go pick up the coupe! And I know how you guys like photos so here ya go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I drove mine w/ the banger for a summer too, and have been thinking of putting one back in again. Fun little engines. There's tons of banger info here on the HAMB too. :cool:

27. liv4ths

liv4ths

Well I finally rolled the coupe into the shop on a cold winter night (just a mere -45°C)! I'm still in the disassembly stage but with that being said I've found out that the car needs a lot more work than anticipated. It seems that whoever had redone the car before just slapped a whole lot of bondo over the body and gave it a paint job. There are a lot of areas so far where the bondo is 1/4"-1/2" thick. I'll look at the silver lining though, gives me an opportunity to learn even more!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  28. liv4ths

liv4ths

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to end the night with a cold beer!

29. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Very cool find

30. liv4ths

liv4ths

Over the past weekend I tore into the coupe a little more. Mostly just gutted the interior and took off the old leather on the roof. I also removed all the bolts that hold the body to the chassis. Hopefully next weekend I'll have time to separate the two and then I can send the chassis/motor off to the sandblaster!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]