Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

That must have been the same guy who I saw at a show in Massachusetts explaining to his kid that the big belt running over the pulleys at each cylinder head was driving the overhead cams. No lie, I'm not making this up, heard it with my own ears!!!!

2. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

They're not that hard to find, You just put it up alongside a regular one and it's always shorter.....

3. burgessdg

burgessdg
    from Morris, Il

2 of my brothers had a friend that had a steel '53 Corvette. They have both seen it, put their hands on it. How do you tell your brothers they are nuts? Just like you said, no amount of convincing will make them listen. You and I know they never had their hands on it, or if they did they didn't know the difference between fiberglass and steel. And yes, I have had the same argument with others.

Dan

4. burgessdg

burgessdg
    from Morris, Il

My favorite bonehead comment was at a boat launch in the late 70's on the Illinois River. This guy had a big block in a boat. Tunnel ram, open headers, sounded wicked. So, he brings it into the ramp after having some fun. I strike up a conversation with him, then I ask him "is it an L88? Big port heads? What cam you got in it? With every question, he looked like a boxer taking jabs, never answered one question. Then with his lips he finally says "Me and my motor are kinda tight". But with his eyes he was saying "I have no idea what you are asking me". Now a guy drag racing may be tight lipped cause he's looking for a sucker or don't want to tip his hand, but not a guy with a boat. Say what you want, but a hot rodder is someone that turns wrenches, not someone that signs checks.

My 2 cents,
    Dan

5. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

GM did make 2 metal corvetts in 1957, they were made of magnesium, my friend, harry kenedy was one of the guys that built it at GM. i saw it race at sebring in 57-58. called the SS corvette

6. I just got off a thread asking about the D/G record in 1965, some HAMBER, was quoting a source that said mid 8's & 160's mph.., BOOOOO HAAHAAHAAAAAAA!

7. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

You're better off talking to a gumball machine---see my signature.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  8. Beecher

Beecher

yup, been there as well. Two late 40s muscle car looking guys. I overheard them trying to figure out where the valves were in a flatty in an a roadster. The pullys were the cams, and the pistons where right under the spark plugs, so where the f&%* where the valves. I asked as discreetly as possible if they needed a hand figuring the motor out. They werent being idiots about it, but clearly was their first time looking at a flathead. I explained it all to them, and after much assurance that I had built one of those motors, they finally seemed to believe me. Not picking on these guys, they were genuinely trying to figure the motor out, so I helped them, just saying, water pumps being cams seems to be a common thing to the flatty novice

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Because of all the Bull Shitting and dumb ass comments, I always leave my hood closed. The 409 emblems on the front fenders confuses them enough.

10. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

"Yeah I've got it well past 200 on flat ground" .. Stock chevelle.

11. Wowcars

Wowcars

Right after we formed the club, we hauled 4 member cars through a BAD blizzard for an indoor show. Eyeball was right in the middle of building this "A" sedan:
    [​IMG]
    At the time, it was just mocked up with rusty and mold covered body on a rolling chassis. Some guy walks up to it and says, "I have a Firebird just like this!"

What?

12. 63comet

63comet

I've had a number of cars just like that!!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I have tried to get through this entire thread and read all the posts but I haven't had the time to do so. Admittedly, some of the posts are a howl but, all of them should remind us that blowhards, know nothings, posers and flat out lying asshasts are all around us...every day.

I am willing to go out on a limb and theorize that their behaviors are not limited to what they do at car shows. These guys could be anyone from your brother in law to your investment advisor to the surgeon that you may need to consult with on an important medical issue. Getting nervous yet?

Hopefully these types may not feel the need to bullshit, guess or flat out lie their way through every situation every day, but one never knows! All in all, the thread is a telling window into just how far we have slid as a society where people feel acting this way is OK and doesn't have consequences.

14. OldColt

OldColt

I'm going to hazard a guess on this.
    Remember back to around 1965 when match racing got started.
    Radio's were screaming "Sunday,Sunday,Sunday" , and fliers were advertising the new 9 second funny type cars. This ET number became a BS'ers benchmark. Since then, the number has been passed down through a couple of generations of BS'ers who know nothing about drag racing or real race cars.

15. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I had a guy tell me he built an engine with such a radical cam that he had to run 2 vacuum lines to the tranny modulator to get enough vacuum that it would shift right.

Blue

16. wrench409

wrench409
    Member Emeritus
    from Here

LOL.

If one is good then two are better! Hence the Cuda a guy had at the strip one night - they wouldn't let him race because he was too fast for the dragstrip - because of the three Holley 780 4 barrel carbs under the hood!

17. Dunno if it counts, but I had a coworker tell me that back in the day he and his Army buddies built a 76 Skylark with a Jag V12, which was converted from diesel to gas, with 150 shot of nitrous. And it made 700 horsepower.
    Same guy also told a story about club hopping in Frankfurt with four friends in a Lotus Elise (three in the back seat) and that he was the only one with balls enough to drive it. lol

18. Back seat of an Elise, not something I've seen before. I don't think cam covers are very good seats.

19. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Had a guy named Leo the Liar tell me he and his brother drove a manual trans GTO with a 4.56 gear from KC to LA and once they got there, they laid 100,000 cubic yards of concrete. He said the cement trucks were lined up as far as the eye could see. Once they did all of this in a short time, they drive back to KC at about 75 to 85 mph average.

He was an amazing "concretist" and driver don't you think?
    Tom

20. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I think his name was appropriate. Evidently, these bullshitters think their audience is incredibly stupid and gullible.

21. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a man claim he got good advice off the H.A.M.B. Ron

Oldmics likes this.
  22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I spotted one of my old car's at the Nationals one year. Went up to it to see if the guy had changed anything on it. Some guy comes up to me that I don't recognize, so the guy I sold it to, must have sold it to him. I ask him if this is his car. he says, yeah. I ask him how long he has had the car, he tells me." I built it myself over the last two years." I tell him, that's funny, cause I have build pictures of it from when it was pulled out of a field behind a guys house in Indiana, and all the way up to when I got the interior put in it. Guy tells me that isn't possible. I ask him, have you ever seen me before today? He says no. I tell him about the cover on the console that hides the emergency brake lever. I told him that was my idea, that I ask the upholster to do. He turned so red from embarrassment. I just walked away.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of my former customers liked to pull that stunt.

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

THAT'S how you cure them. Nice job.

25. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Sold this car to John Mellencamp (the rock star) back in 07. Even got to see it on Good Morning America too! Anyway, I google John Mellencamp to see if I can dig up any more pics of the car and end up finding a interview they had recently did with him. In the interview he claims he has owned the car for YEAARSS. The car had left my house only 5 months earlier.. He also calls it a nomad so I dont know which is funnier :D

[​IMG]

26. Who's story was that?

27. I was parked next to a 55 Chevy once a a show. The man who owned it, in his mid-50's, told me that the car was all original. He said " this car is all original. I brouht it in 88. At that time I painted it, added the paint divider, put a new 350 in it and had the interior done", but after all that he said " so its all original!" I was like WTF!

28. 47stylemaster

47stylemaster

Had a guy tell me he body dropped his ford ranger that layed full frame and nevr notched the frame. He says it can be done its just hard to figure out . Idgaf if u dont cut the frame it aint layin shit . Unless he put it on top of the frame. . Coming from the same guy who wants me to bagg his 99 dodge grand caravan . He calls it project socer dad. With no kids .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Some kids at the parts store saw me pull up in my avatar , (55 panel ) and proceeded to tell me what it was running . apparantly they saw me bumping and bucking in a parade , I admit I got it hopping in granny gear and it squeeked a bit , but a stock 292 will get out of it's own way ,
    So , I let 'em tell me I had a 429 , and everything they said I had , I agreed with , we had a crowd gathering , I just let them dig themselves deeper . They claimed their cousin had a Caprice 307 2bbl (I know the car) that was 550 HP at the rear wheels , 9 second quarter ,(car doesn't have any 12 second gear) Wow, , I asked them about the internals . It had a blower , 13 1/2 to one compression , and here's the best part , Cam was .620 lift and 510 duration, WOW, I said , that must be one of those new corkscrew cams , that start the lift on one lobe , then screw onto the next to close the valve , Yup , sure is , I shook their hands , and walked away , as the crowd , somehow , kept straight faces .

30. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

We need to kick the bullshit out of him and send his clothes to his Mom.