Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Looking at building a HAMB friendly gasser from a 39 Hudson coupe. Seems fairly straight forward, ladder bars, correct wheels, high stance, fenderwell headers. But what havent I considered that will taint it?

2. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Don't tub it and don't stick radials on it. PIE CRUST TIRES ALL AROUND

fine29 likes this.
  3. Big Bad engine and a 4 speed,,colored Plexiglas windows. HRP

Atwater Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. fanspete

fanspete

Pick up an old rule book and scour the net or old mags for pics/coverage....many,many different 'gassers'. OR, build it the way YOU like it!

5. slammed

slammed

Real spindle mount spoked wheels, not the 'new style' 5 bolt wheels. Moon tank that is used, not sticking out like a metal goiter afterthought. Find the right balance between real deal back when gasser and street freak.

6. brandon

brandon

no weld wheels...no firestone pie crust... no ebay big windows...no carb scoops with 3 holes or 2 holes...no crazy sky high stance (there was a 24" max crank height rule) ...no racepac....no monster tach...do your homework on decals and chassis setup...no flowmasters....no tunnel rams:D...no wheels wider than 4.5 on the front...nothing wider than 11" on rear but only 11's with a 16" rim....no ls motors...no 302 mustang motors...just a few things off the top of my head....seriously...get the don Montgomery book and look at the pics on gasser madness if its up...

carothersbs likes this.
  7. OldColt

OldColt

A tubular push bar instead of a back bumper always looks right to me.

8. I just love the HAMB friendly gassers and would love to build one someday, but I am building the '42 Chevy gasser as me and my buddy wanted to do in the mid 70s out of the early 70s magazines influences we were reading at the time, so not HAMB friendly so I won't do a thread here but, please start a build thread so we can see your progress.

9. To me, that's the definition of a traditional gasser!

10. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I have a Falcon i'm turning one into, But i'm totally building it to be a driver and to enjoy it and yes it will have a 302 and yes it will have front brakes but no front moon tank and nothing sticking out the hood. Just build it to enjoy it and if you want to race it just build it to specs, if you want to drive it... make it look right and drive right and not like a lowrider stuck in a stupid position.

11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Your Car, Your Money, build it to make you happy. Who cares what others like. If you want to make it represent a certain era do so, if you want a few newer touches go for it.
    My car has been mine now for 47 years while it has lots of early influences the only era it has to be true to is my era.

Suzy, Nova Thug, Doctorterry and 6 others like this.
  12. Weasel

Weasel

Absolutely NO WAY on the spindle mounts - gassers had to run front brakes until 1969 when funny cars killed the Gasser classes. Gassers did not run spindle mounts - altereds did. This is the problem when you get people 'learning' from the internet/magazines without reading the rule book of the period. Just like guys who think 'period airbags' and 'period laying frame' are traditional....:rolleyes:

jophus, Dapostman, chopper99 and 2 others like this.
  13. What's your true intensions with the car ??????

Street cruiser ?
    Garage Queen ?
    Racing it ?
    Bull Shit story teller ?

It makes a difference on your intended use.

Pufff and Hooley like this.
  14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

First off, you need to pick a date. That alone sets a lot of the rules.

Next off, you have to build a race car that would have attempted to be competitive the year you've picked.

A gasser built in 1959 is completely different than once in 1965.

It's not just a checklist of solid front axles, tinted windows, and mag wheels. It's an intelligent recreation of a period correct racecar.

I'm a huge fan personally of 1962, primarily because that's when the Mopar Max Wedge hit the racetracks. I love me a big block Chrysler!!!

Black_Sheep and uncleandy 65 like this.
  15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

make it safe and fun.... id rather have one that's drivable and a little less "correct" then one that's a chore to drive..

16. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Safe + gasser don't mix

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For a 60's era Gasser, things like radiused rear fenderwells, spartan interior (lightweight bucket seats), and no running boards are what I remember. This shot from our local track in '66, shows two examples of that time period.

Attached Files:

18. bigjohndsl

bigjohndsl
    from Erwin, TN

Make it your perception of what it should be and have fun

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see a lot of "gassers" so high they can't be driven much over 40MPH safely. STANCE will go a lot farther than all out HEIGHT once it's all said and done. The rest is pretty easy, and just a few 1 and 2 dollar swap meet hot rod mags away.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nobody can answer your question if you don't tell us whether it will be street or strip.
    Two huge differences.

21. Lots of good answers here, but unless you are building a clone the first thing to taint it will be trying too hard not to taint it. As you build it, if you are running scared, you will never run fast enough or far enough to finish the project. Just my thoughts on the mindset to build a ride!

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What a load of crap! I've got over 10,000 street miles, and numerous trips down the strip on my Austin, and it's not only safe, but handles the windy scenic roads easily.

Build your car the way you want. Don't get so hung up on making it era correct that you go nuts. Don't worry about what others would do on their car, or think you should do.
    Building a gasser should be fun, just like building any car. They're also fun to drive if you got everything set up right. I enjoy both of mine, and have a lot of fun with them.

Gasser Mike, Suzy, Nova Thug and 2 others like this.
  23. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------
    'Pie crusts' all around??!:eek: Huh??
    More like 'pie-crust' slicks on the
    back and "normal sidewall" 155
    or 165 X 15 bias-ply - (or Michelin,
    Continental or Pirelli radials, if you
    can find 'em) skinnies on the front
    By the way some of the VW custom
    and resto outfits on the net offer
    authentic '50's and '60's-style
    Continental and Pirelli radals in 145
    and 155 X15 sizes.

Mart3406
    ==============

fine29 likes this.
  24. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

------------------
    Not suggesting that you necessarily
    want to do this is this, particularly
    if you're going to drive the car on
    the street at all.....but one reason
    that, 'back in day" a lot of gassers
    ran those homemade tubular
    "push bars" in place of a stock rear
    bumpers, was that prior welding
    the ends on the tube, they could -
    and usually did - fill the tube with
    concrete or lead shot ballast, in
    order to make their required class
    weight. And since this ballast was
    all behind the rear axle, at the very
    extreme rear of the car, it was a
    great traction aid -which in fact, was
    the real and main reason for using
    "push bars". :)

Mart3406
    ==============

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy likes this.
  25. CGkidd

CGkidd

Research what era you want then build to what u can do. If it is not period perfect so what as long as u enjoy it.

Gasser Mike likes this.
  26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You should find a book called "Gasser Wars: Drag Racing's Street Classes: 1955-1968" by Larry Davis.

It's a good book, lots of period pictures, and explains the whole evolution of gassers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""Build your car the way you want. Don't get so hung up on making it era correct that you go nuts. Don't worry about what others would do on their car, or think you should do.
    Building a gasser should be fun, just like building any car. They're also fun to drive if you got everything set up right. I enjoy both of mine, and have a lot of fun with them.""

What the OP is asking is how to build his car for the drull factor, wants to get on the band wagon first shot and/or has no clue; I say the latter..As in above quote there is no sense in building something that is miserable to drive or not pleasing to the builders own eyes..A local built a Stone, Woods and Cook clone, Willys body and the right decals and not much else, not even a strait axle..AND got a cease and desist for using a copyrighted name..He changed it to something stupid which makes it a joke, twice over......

28. oldschoolgasser55

oldschoolgasser55

wow I didn't know I had a category (bull shit story teller ):cool: works for me !!!!

29. NO WIDE-WHITEWALL SLICKS!!!!

To me, those are the dumbest looking things ever conceived. I see guys try to build their own interpretation of a "period" Gasser and install those stupid tires. Wide whites belong on a tradiional rod or a custom, NOT on any drag car.

Our family ran a '55 Chevy D/Gas car back in the '60s, and I don't remember ever seeing any competitive car running whitewall slicks.

I also laugh when I see the "new" Gassers that are jacked up 3ft in the air in the front and back. There were specific rules about height for the Gas class. Guys would put their cars to the height limit in the front, but never in the rear. Even back then, the racers knew about weight transfer, and a car jacked up all the way around is a non-hookin', spooky-handling race car.

The majority of the cars I see being built today are not Gassers, but more like a Street Freak. The Street Freak style came around in the late '60s and was more for shock value than strip prowess.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
    uncleandy 65 likes this.
  30. CalGasser

CalGasser

ABSOLUTELY!!! That makes a Gasser look like a wannabe - so wrong!:mad:

chopper99 likes this.