Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built 1929 Roadster body sheeting structure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cryptkepper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

I agree with both of you, After tacking on the edges all panels were rossette welded to the substructure approx. 1" apart and before all body work is done all panels will be welded on edge and ground. I to don't want any problems with panel fractures after I do all the body work and paint. That would suck. Thanks for responding, I stated before any feed back I can get helps weather it is positive or negative I learn something new every day !

2. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's I had a couple of hours to work on the bed today. I had previously told ya'll I wanted the tailgate non functioning but to look like it opened. Well I think I succeeded let me know what you guys think. I still have a few things to do to complete it so it is not complete. Here are some pic's!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  3. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's had to roll the rod outside to clean the garage, had a lot grinding dust and small shards of metal on the floor. Couldn't lay on the shop floor without getting filthy so 4hours later it's fairly clean. while the rod was outside I took a few photos to kinda get a look at it's profile, what do ya'll think nothing is bolted in place so it still will need lining up! Here are some pic's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  4. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's, you will see that the bed is not totally finished still need to do some tidying up and may build an additional piece of splash apron on both sides in front of the rear wheel. I think there is to much frame and suspension showing. Also I think it needs to taper to the finished bottom of the rear body where the bed meets the cab. The back looks to boxed so I think I will round the rear bottom corners. I intend to install small reverse lights at the bottom edge left and right under or next to the beads I rolled into the body. Have to be careful not to let the lights protrude to far inward so as not to interfere with the fuel tank. I purchased some 1/2" round bar to fab some swan necks to mount the taillights which will be 29 ford pickup lights.

5. cmarcus

cmarcus

Wow man. Subscribed. Amazing work!

6. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's had time to work on the rod. I finished the bed, I bent the extensions for the side splash left and right. will weld them on monday night. So here are some pic's.

Attached Files:

7. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Okay! Got the bed completed with the splash aprons and cutouts for rearend travel. Now its time to take the cab and bed as well as the grille shell off and do all the body work and then prime. Here are some pic's. Remember nothing is bolted down every thing was bolted and aligned. I should have taken pic's but didn't think about it while it was all bolted up. Guess I need to start thinking about what color or colors I want to paint it.

Attached Files:

8. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's, I haven't posted in a while because I am in the process of taking the body off the frame. I have begun to do the minor body work to the bed and will prime it when finished and set it aside, Next I need to finish weld the body and do the body work on it and prime it also. I will take pic's and post them. I have no pic's at this time as my camera is on the fritz. Hope to get it back from the camera shop soon. When I do I will post updated pic's.

9. 66slabside

66slabside

I'm in awe every time I come and visit. Keep up the fantastic job.

10. mechanic58

mechanic58

This is awesome, I wish I had the patience to do this sort of thing.

11. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Okay guys, finished up the body work on the bed, I primed it yesterday and blocked and final primed it today. I got my camera back and went to take some pictures and found that the camera shop took my rechargeable batteries out of it and replaced them with some off brand batteries and of coarse they were dead. so no pic's to load. Will have to charge some new batteries over night, So i will take some pic's tomorrow and post them.

12. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Can't wait to see it! Did you ever decide on color?

13. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Maybe? I found a Burgandy pearl I like and am thinking semi gloss on the body,bed and grille shell and maybe the wheels with v8 ford center caps and ribbed trim rings. The engine and running gear in a cream color. Still kicking it around. The interior in distrested med. brown leather. like I said Still kicking it around.

14. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Okay, charged batteries and moved the rod outside to clean the garage! So while it was outside I blew it off as it was very dusty from doing the body work on the bed. I have limited space and was to dumb to cover the rod. Well while the rod was outside I took some pic's here they are. Will start work on the cab and grille next.

Attached Files:

15. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That sounds good I like that color combo.

16. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys, today I worked on the grille shell and grille insert. I made the grille insert yesterday and welded it in today then did all the body work and primed it. Here are the pic's. I don't know what happened pic's didn't load so I reloaded them below.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  17. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Grille pic's

Attached Files:

18. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

More grille pic's

Attached Files:

19. damnfingers

damnfingers

Very sharp looking!

20. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Did you make the grill shell too? I missed that part if you talked about it.

21. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

No it's a speedway item it was cheaper than me taking the time to make it. I did have to section and chop it to make it fit and flow with the rest of the body. I did the body work and primed and blocked it and did the final prime today.

22. jim henderson

jim henderson

You've done some nice work !

23. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks, It,s been a long road but I'll get there.

24. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

This afternoon I was able to remove the cab and weld the edge where the cowl meets the fire wall with that complete I ground down the weld to blend from fire wall to cowl. Here are some pic's.

Attached Files:

25. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's had time to work on the rod this afternoon and started doing the body work on the cowl went pretty quick didn't need much filler. After I was satisfied with the body work I went ahead and primed it. I primed it because I sweat a lot and didn't want to contaminate the body work while working on the rest of the body. Here a few pic's.

Attached Files:

26. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Looks good man really good. Make sure to put some paint on it soon primer will make stuff rust just as fast.

I really like this project!

27. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

thanks, I won't have a problem with rust I don't use rattle can primer. I use PPG products and have never had a problem with it. The body has been metal prepped prior to any filler and or paint as well as seam sealed. The body and frame will all be final blocked and sealed with DP90 an epoxy sealer. When I do paint it I will final water sand it and then spray it with color and clear.

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is all my dad used to use when he did body work and ran his own shop was PPG products. I did a car and let it set for a long time in his shop and he kept telling me "you need to do something with the car soon and put some paint on it or it will rust faster then if it was bare metal" and when I finally got in gear it start to have some surface rust in spots so I had to clean it up and reshoot primer and then paint it.

I think it had more to do with it being winter time and trapping heat and cool air then anything.

I look forward to seeing the final stages this is going really well and I really dig it. I really want one lol.

29. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

I guess maybe If you let it set for a long time it may rust thru but I find if you use metal prep prior to priming you don't have any problems with longevity. I've never let anything set jn prime for very long. But whats strange since I started this project I haven't had any rust problems it sits in my garage and with the humidity down here yet no rust it's been in bare metal the whole time. The frame has been setting for aprox. three years. My garage is well insulated and I also have a dehumidifier hooked up. Maybe I'm just lucky lol!!!

30. Nice still watching