Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Everyone knows that nuts just lead to bolts and washers. The next thing you know it's tires and tubes. Maybe we need to do an "intervention" before it's too late.

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

The Hidden.

It's one of my favorite movies. Check it out. I think it inspired Men in Black. So no one will probably see what's hidden below decks inside the Seagrave Special but I think it ought to look good down there. To that end I've got to line the ribs to have something to screw too. Sounds simple but for some reason it's been taking me a week. Of course there's the usual interruptions of my land flooding, me writing letters to the development company causing the flooding, me writing letters to the city council, the grading company dumping seven loads of dirt to fill in my property so it won't flood any more. Things like that. But I'm getting close. Tomorrow maybe I can start cutting slats.

Jerry

Attached Files:

3. yonahrr

yonahrr

4. Giovanni

Giovanni

which would mean it's only another 11K to register it here in RI! awesome!

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

It would cost $25 to register it here in GA.

Jerry

6. Giovanni

Giovanni

Thats nice. You have to pay sales tax to register in RI, even from a private sale. It's ridiculous, the car was taxed when it was sold, then taxed every year, then taxed again if you sell it! When I put my Falcon on the road they taxed me based on their book value because it was a "vehicle of special interest". They valued it at 4800, more than double my sale price. I had to get written estimates for all the work i had done to make it run and stop, which they deducted off of the book value, then wait 6 weeks for a tax refund check. Rooooooaaaaarrrr, my rant is over.

I'm liking the wood supports inside, And the strips along the top of the very back of the frame will look sharp. Am I the only one who can't wait to hear it run with the exhaust on? Teaser video? If we surround him with pitch forks and torches he will have to choice but to appease!

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

....I already lit my torch, were we not supposed to yet? :rolleyes:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

Wow....that is really rediculous, and uncalled for. Oregon isn't as cheap as GA....but you only have one form to fill out and to right a check for $87.......for life.

I did it on the T best thing I ever did....and a nessesity after getting pulled over in Arlington, Or for "incorrect" lighting on the way to Bonneville last year :mad:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

Slat Machine

That's what I felt like today. In the last picture you see the result of a day's progress. Every slat must be hand fitted then drilled with a pilot hole and a screw hole. When all the slats are fitted I've still got to sand and varnish them. Ah, the price of perfection! Well, not quite perfection. All right, near perfection. Okay, okay, would you believe 7th grade shop class quality? Because that's where I got all my training. Some oval head brass screws arrived from McMaster Carr this evening. There'll be a trim piece in the very rear. I had to space the slats 1/8 in the front and 1/4 in the rear for them to come out right. All that math! 7th grade was good for that too. Mr. Kuett's Algebra class! I remember a girl named Margie who sat in front of me. No wonder I never learned quadratic equations! That's why I flunked out of engineering in college! It was all Margie's fault.

Jerry

Attached Files:

10. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Slattery will get you nowhere! Well, maybe not nowhere.

11. Who you callin' a slat?

12. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Jerry, if it was easy anyone could do it. The slats look great and it is nice to see you working again.... the rumor on the HAMB was that you were out buying (instead of making) parts.

13. Slot heads or phillips?

14. Now, you ARE lining up the screw slots, right Jerry?... that's what Bill Harrah (or, at least his crew) would do :D

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Pretty nice woodwork Jerry. Looking forward to seeing the deck in place.

16. yonahrr

yonahrr

Well, the phillips head wasn't invented until the the '30's I believe, so I try to stay away from them--although I did use a few phillips self drillers in a some awkward places where they'll be hidden. (Everybody keep quiet!) I like oval headed screws. Much more pleasing to the senses. Above all I like to please the senses. Hey, remember those phillips look-a-likes reed prince screw heads? What was that all about? They used to be on the the top of British Stromberg carbs. They drove me crazy until I found out what they really were.

Jerry

17. okay ..I do know a little about wood ... hopefully your slats are kiln dried and the grain is all in the same direction... these slats will likely tell the humidity and temp and likely distort ... the only way it won't is with enough support or backing of some kind..or movment allowance... ask me how I know this .. every square inch of our log home is made of wood .. very few places in the house are still square or not altered after 7 years due to the weather.... all log home take on the tumbled down look its nature doing its job.... I see a few unruly slats now .MAKING ALLOWANCES FOR THE WOOD TO "MOVE " OR" SLIDE" ON THE SCREWS where possible ---- slot instead of a hole and a washer to cover the slot. hope it all works out for you :):):)

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Slots on the slats

Paperdog, you make it sound so complicated. You forget I got my training in 7th grade wood shop. It's all I can do just to get the slats cut and fitted. Okay, I had help yesterday so I got a little more done. Alex took off the slats and sanded them down. Then we applied a little Bullseye shellac before laying on a coat of varnish. Before I screwed in the slats I put some Loctite 290 on the screws holding the tailpiece on. 290 wicks into the threads and holds everything tight. I started to finish the other side but my band saw blade broke. Tomorrow. My new oval head screws looked real good and yes, I lined up all the slots.

Jerry

Attached Files:

19. please remember to put as much " seal coating" on the back non visible side as you put on the front....this is where the moisture gets its grip ... looks very good!... what ever happened to that girl who distracted you so much ?

20. You are a GOOD man, Charlie Brown :D!

Don't know if I told you, but this fall I will be the band director at the new Bear Creek Middle School here in Barrow County!

Can't wait to see the finished product, Jerry- you've done a fantastic job, as usual!!!

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

You're moving up the ladder. Very cool! Good Luck! Alex has his upper and lower braces on now so I hope it doesn't affect his trumpet playing too adversely.

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

Dang it!

I keep leaving my camera at the shop. Not that there's anything much to look at. I just today finished up cutting and varnishing the slats on the other side. The slat thing was getting kind of tedious so it'll be good to move on. I want to get into the decking but I have to finish the interior stuff first. I don't want to be hanging over head first inside the passenger cockpit doing woodwork. I don't have a clear plan for the interior because I know even less about upholstery than I know about woodworking. I do have the leather though.

Jerry

23. Thanks Jerry! I'm really excited about the opportunity to get back into instrumental teaching, be in my home community, and have the same schedule as the kids (we had three different spring breaks at one point :rolleyes:).

Get Alex some wax for the braces- he'll notice a change in his sound until he gets used to the wax (don't use alot- just enough to smooth things out) .

24. since you do read my posts . ")... make the seat cushions/pillows removable so the sewing will be ez er and make them seem as bit of an after thought for comfort

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Dead

Not me, the camera batteries. I finished up the slats today and was going to take a picture but the camera batteries were dead. I remembered to take it home, though. It had one new picture of the hood in it. I took the picture just after I moved the hood from Allen's body shop to my shop. Cushions: I was going to make the bottoms removable but the backs will be fixed in place. More wood work tomorrow putting in place floor boards as well as all the wood the trim will fasten too.

Jerry

Attached Files:

26. yonahrr

yonahrr

Give us a sign!

Sign board that is. I like sign board. It's water proof and smooth and it's got that neat paper on both sides. You can paint it and there's no pesky grain showing through. I spent all day making floor boards. (Now don't tell me it's not authentic. After I paint it who will know? You're all sworn to secrecy remember?) Each one had to be hand fitted. Can you read those heiroglyphics? After I was satisfied with the fit I pulled them out and Bullseyed the bottoms. I was going to put battleship linoleum on them but lately I was thinking '23 was a little late for linoleum. Being an open car I started leaning toward something all weather like some sisal carpet or mats. Maybe you guys have some input.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  27. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Varnish extra on the cut edges, so it soaks in. That's where water might gather. Also the tops if you'll have mats or anything that could trap water.

Like the old song by the Five Man Electrical Saw Band says:

Signs, signs, everywhere signboard
    Soaking up the rainwater, breaking my mind
    Do this, don't do that, can't you see the signboard...

28. 34 Plymouth Hemi

34 Plymouth Hemi

Jerry

Looks Great!!

Keep up the good work!!

Bob

29. Conveyer belting mats ...

Quilted canvas

or cut up some vintage oriental rugs .. With the left overs made into your tool bag..

I HOPE THAT YOU DO GET INTO THE 8TH GRADE THIS FALL WITH ALL THIS FINE MAKEUP SUMMER SCHOOL SHOP CLASS PROJECT NEARING COMPLETION.. BET YOUR FINISH GRADE WIIL BE RAISED BECAUSE OF EFFORT