Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adjustable engine mid-mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jmountainjr, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built a Hurst style front engine mount on Ford cushions, and have a regular GM transmission rear mount. I've bounced back and forth on the need for a mid-mount. The bellhousing is 1/4" hydro formed steel, so it's fine, but not sure about the trans case. I thought about the bellhousing "feet" that most modifieds use, but my steering did not leave enough room on the left side for that. So I started thinking about an under slung mount like the front engine mount, but did not want it to be a pain if you needed to service the clutch. I thought about a multi-piece mount, and after a while came up with this mount which uses a "turn buckle" middle piece that can be used to adjust the tension on the rubber mounts:

Attached Files:

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Front and rear mounts more than sufficicent, The mid bar does nothing

3. Kinky6

Kinky6

In one sense, yeah. I can remember being fascinated as a kid by the idea that a tractor didn't have a frame; the engine & trans WERE the frame. :confused:

But, from a belt and suspenders point of view, having a front and two side mounts on an engine can simplify a clutch change or trans service. Sort of like the '50's Chevy truck bell housing, with the two side mounts. Whatever grabs ya.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nice thought but I don't think the trans bolts will stay tight? All the points are flexable and if you picture the engine torqeing some you can visualise what I mean..It will support some [or alot] of the middle weight as you adjust turnbuckle, good thinking..Maybe make the trans bolts shoulder bolts and letting things flex, it will still be supporting....Just my thoughts..

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Look at the picture again, He has to remove the bar first before he can pull the trans.
    Second is that the bar is trying to support somthing straight out with the load on the rod end shank. I can hold a bowling ball straight up for a long time because the load to my arm is under compression or I can lift the ball up for a long time because the load is in tension, What I cant do is hold the ball straight out unless I increase the mass of my arm to handle the load.

6. Kinky6

Kinky6

Right, I'm talking about a solid bracket from the frame with some type of rubber cushioned mount. While the OP's turnbuckle is innovative, I can't say that its supporting much.

Experimenting can be educational. Kinky6 :cool:

7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all of the comments. Sometimes it takes until version 2.0 or 3.0 to get it right.