Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Official 1959 Chevy Apache Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Feb 17, 2010.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I was grinding on the inside of the firewall last night for several hours and got a lot of stuff cleaned up on the drivers side toe board. I am going to work on the passenger side of the firewall tonight to at least get rid of the welds that are visible when you are sitting in the seat since carpet may not go in right away. I found a couple holes in some of the welds, but overall it looks really nice. I am really happy with how it is coming together. I suspect I can get a lot done tonight on the floors on It and possibly start taking stuff apart for the phospho wash and POR15 coming soon. I also got some of the column in epoxy as well. Not much was picture worthy, but I will take a couple shots when I am finished.

2. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I took pictures anyway...

I am putting the finishing touches on the column, will put it together and then go through and set it aside.

[​IMG]

I have been spending a majority of my time grinding a bunch of crap off the inside of the firewall where you can see everything. I decided to clean it up since I will have to look at it for a while. I still have a couple more days worth of grinding, so here are some shots of where I am tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1959apache

1959apache

I got a lot finished up last night, Most of the grinding that I had wanted to do is completed, I stripped the floor of everything, and cleaned it up with a shop vac. I did drop a pin on the ground somewhere for my gas pedal, so I will have to look for that, and of course it is tiny, so that will be fun. I am also going to fix up the steering column mount to the floor (removing backing nuts and welding up the holes). I will do that tonight and prep this thing for Friday evening for the POR15!!!!!!

4. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

get a pair of ladies panty hose and put the foot part in the vacuum hose and vacuum. when you're done, pull out the hose and dump it. if you went over the clip, it should be in there.

5. 1959apache

1959apache

The problem is that I was all over the floor looking for it and couldn't find it, so that means it is hung up somewhere where I can't see or find it... So that's going to be a lot of fun.... :p

I am going to take care of the floors tonight, it is finally time!!! Pictures to come soon!!!

6. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I decided to work on the floors tonight and get them in epoxy, I spent like 4 hours out there. Here is where I left it off, I will get the rest done later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. martincfassi

martincfassi
    from Argentina

Hi, here´s a photo of my 59´ I am trying to upload some more, but I can´t do it, I´ll try!!

Attached Files:

8. martincfassi

martincfassi
    from Argentina

I am trying to upload some actual photos, but I guess they are very heavy

Attached Files:

9. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Martin, before you highjack someone else's thread, you should introduce yourself to the rest of us on the H.A.M.B.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Once you've done that, you can start your own thread to tell us about your own truck.

We're all interested in what you have to say, if you put it in the right place.

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Well, after a full week and a half of moving my parents crap out of their old house every evening until about 11 PM I finally got them out of there and on their way to Miami. They decided to be nice and dump a bunch of crap at my place, so I have been trying to clean it up for the last several days when I had an ounce of free time.

Today I shifted gears and decided to take care of the C10 and get the tranny cooler lines taken care of... what a pain in my ass. I want to thank Tom (tommyd on the HAMB) for letting me have a tranny cooler he had laying in his garage. I wound up not using it and returned it, even though it was free. It was a very nice gesture to someone he hasn't really met, but I want to make sure he gets a big thank you. I gave him a ride in the pickup while we talked cars, which I think we both enjoyed. Thanks again Tom!

I then dropped the battery in the Model T, found it was bad, and some of the cables to the voltage regulator (the large 1 gauge wires), so that will need to be taken care of as well. I then went ahead and started working to get the rest of the toe board finished on the Apache.

I will need to work on the drivers side tomorrow, but it looks like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Here is where I am as of tonight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 1959apache

1959apache

well I got the driver's side toe board finished. Now to the steps and the small strip on the rear of the cab and I will start putting in the sound deadener.

12. dubie

dubie

right on man, good to see your project is still progressing. I find it tough to work on them in the summer months because we don't get much time to enjoy that sunshine.
    What are you using for sound deadener? and are you using carpet or a rubber floor?

I went with the hardware store special type of gray carpet and let the wife loose with some spray adhesive. It turned out pretty damn nice! I'm getting pretty close to driving the Dirtbag pickup. I just have to hook up the tranny cooler lines and hang the exhaust and we can break the cam in. Hoping to do that before the weekend

13. 1959apache

1959apache

Well a little more progress tonight. It looks like it is coming together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 1959apache

1959apache

I know, life is too short and there just isn't enough time. I have been lurking in the shadows on yours. It looks like everyone is getting out and driving theirs! I look forward to your progress.. did you post some pictures of the interior?

15. dubie

dubie

yep it was post #76 in my build thread where there is a shot of the interior. I still have to mix a small batch of paint and shoot the door panels so they can get installed, but almost everything else is in there.
    I know what you mean about everyone driving theirs. I just don't seem to have enough hours in the day to get it fully to driver status. Kind of a bummer some days. But there are just some days I don't even feel like wrenching on it. Summer up here is far to short so when you get a nice hot day, you want to spend it on the lake, instead of inside the shop

16. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

17. Buzznut

Buzznut

I'm officially jealous of how sweet the inside of your cab is looking. Killer job!

18. 1959apache

1959apache

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

it will look better once I clean it up and remove all of the dust that is on it. I didn't get a chance to work on the passenger side step, but will tackle that tonight and start grinding some welds on it to make it look better. Then I will shoot it in epoxy to match everything else.

19. 1959apache

1959apache

Yeah I know of that post, I was wondering if you had anything anymore recent. I spend like 2-3 hours a day out there now 7 days a week if I can. It would be easier to have someone else do it and just pay them, but I enjoy it, plus I get to show off my work to people who appreciate it. I would go out on a lake too if the lakes weren't so polluted around here... it is like swimming in rancid chocolate milk here.

Thanks GreenGrenade. have you decided on what you are doing? Are you still saving for the house?

Thanks Buzz, I am jealous you are driving yours. Soon though for me...

20. dubie

dubie

I haven't had much time to work on my truck in the past 3 weeks so there hasn't been a whole lot of pictures to update everyone with. Although, with having 4 days off this weekend. I'm going to get the tranny cooler hooked up as well as my exhaust. My goal is to put this thing in drive and drive it out of the shop this weekend. It'll be the first time since 1985 that this truck has driven under it's own power

21. 1959apache

1959apache

Well the floor is finished!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

I need to fix a couple things down the road, but it will be good enough for now. This is going to be a driving restoration for a while until I get everything where I want it.

Here are the shots of the passenger side step:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I took this one because I thought it looked cool tonight... here is a shot of some of my rolling stock:

[​IMG]

22. dawsonn57

dawsonn57
    from Michigan

Nice job on this truck...you just dont see a whole lot of 59s.. very cool. Keep up the great work. Lots of great info here too.

23. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

makes me wish I could get back to work on mine, but I have to deal with my dads health first and foremost. one of the days my 59 will look good too. keep up the good work.

24. dubie

dubie

The truck is looking great man

Hey I have one last wiring question for you regarding the brake switch. There is an orange wire and a white wire that are both labelled brake switch. How did you wire yours up?

25. Dubie, if you're using the factory switch, I don't think it matters which terminal you connect to. It should work either way.

26. 1959apache

1959apache

If you wire it one way they won't turn on at all I don't think (or off) and the right way works normally, There really isn't a right answer I can give you. Either you wire it right the first time or you swap it, 50/50

27. 1959apache

1959apache

Thanks Dawsonn57. I wasn't too excited about this truck when I first got it and thought they were ugly. Now it has grown on me so I actually like it. :D

Thanks dew468, Hopefully your dad's issues pass, I know how hard it is to take care of a family member. You have your head on straight and your truck is well on its way to being really reall nice.

Thanks dubie, get that thing done already! :p

28. n847

n847

Looking damn good! I like that term driving restoration! I think I'm gonna call mine a rolling restoration so as not to infringe on your copyright!

29. We're talking about the brake switch, right? Isn't it just an open or closed switch? I don't think it matters which way you connect it. But then again, that electrical stuff is kind of like black magic to me. :)

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

yeah man im workin two jobs to save up. im tinkering with the truck every once in a while, but mainly just saving. were actually talking about moving down around Austin near some of our family. so we will see. as far as the truck goes I may go through the engine soon and setup the double humps with the 3x2. ill post pics when I get to it