Register now to get rid of these ads!

started de-barking the 34 5w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimmey, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Slimmey

Slimmey

First off I would like to say to all of you guys and gals that have replaced the wood kit in these old chevys, my hats off to you. After spending all day pulling nails, wood screws, and caraige bolts, wood/brackets, I am a patient man, but damn. No wonder you don't see that many of them, to much work. O'L Henry had it going on. I'm envious of you ford guys right now, it will pass soon. lol. So beware all you chevy veterans, i'll probably need some expert advice on this one. I am going back with steel, as this is what I know. I have a game plan in my head, but maybe I need to get that checked for getting me into this one. Thanks in advance.

2. stimpy

stimpy

but they look better in the crate ....

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. Slimmey

Slimmey

I decided to start off framming main shape with 3/4" conduit, I know, most will say it's not strong enough, but have used the hell out of it in the past on everything from old jeep canvas top frames to body mod structure. It is easy to work with when lots of bends are involved, and once welded in becomes very rigid and light. Biggest pain is grinding off the galvy before welding.

Shumard found me this car early last year when he was up in Iowa and brought it back. I was looking for a 3-w, but figured I would turn this into one. Once I had started collecting parts for the conversion and started replacing wheel wells from a 2dr sedan, I found my 3-w. So.....having all ready started I figured I might as well get the 5-w shell together, learn what I need to and not to do on my later 3-w build. Then I can sell this shell and help pay for the other.

Attached Files:

5. Slimmey

Slimmey

Earlier pics, have start pics but digital cam crashed. Try to retrieve later.

Attached Files:

6. I agree that EMT can be easy to work with, I use it a lot for bracing when fabing stuff. I have never checked, but wonder if there is a non galvanized version available through a steel yard, sure would be nicer to weld.

7. Slimmey

Slimmey

I never thought about that... can't say that i've ever seen non-galv in electrical shops. That's what I used to shape the back panel and welded sheetmetal over. Left a real nice edge and I don't have to stand ony head to finish!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Slimmey

Slimmey

Shumard came down tonight and gave me a hand. Got more EMT in. 1375419056058.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Slimmey

Slimmey

Shumard came down tonight and gave me a hand. Got more EMT in. View attachment 1994165

10. Slimmey

Slimmey

Now just drink'n beer and trying to figure out the stance.
    (My buddy Tom)

Attached Files:

11. Slimmey

Slimmey

At least now with some structure in it you can move it around with out the side folding under. lol Damn I forgot how much fun building with freinds was. It's been a long time.
    (Web goi....ng d..owm again) hope I didn't send 6 of the same pics again.

Attached Files:

12. Slimmey

Slimmey

At least now with some structure in it you can move it around with out the side folding under. lol Damn I forgot how much fun building with freinds was. It's been a long time.
    (Web goi....ng d..owm again) hope I didn't send 6 of the same pics again.

13. Slimmey

Slimmey

If any one is getting ready to fill in the top of a '34 chevy 5w master...just ask. I just got lucky as hell (by chance) and found the absolute perfect doner roof. No additional bowing or shaping needed. This is how the doner roof panel fit just laying on the '34, before and after trimming. Note- no clamps, clecos, or dolly work necessary.

Attached Files:

14. Slimmey

Slimmey

If any one is getting ready to fill in the top of a '34 chevy 5w master...just ask. I just got lucky as hell (by chance) and found the absolute perfect doner roof. No additional bowing or shaping needed. This is how the doner roof panel fit just laying on the '34, before and after trimming. Note- no clamps, clecos, or dolly work necessary.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Why the secrecy ? Why not just identify the donor roof vehicle and be done with it ?

The info will likely apply to other similar years and makes as well.

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Used a 55 Chevy 4 door sedan roof to fill my 34 Master's roof.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  17. Slimmey

Slimmey

I'm sorry Blue One, it was no secret. I was late and I was beat, got in a hurry because I still had to detail my other car for the Dodge City car show today. It was a mid '70s camaro. I had beem told an early mustang coupe roof turned 180 would work, did't fit right to me. Just grabbed two of the other scheduled for the crusher amd it was a good fit. I was just jazzed thats all.

18. Slimmey

Slimmey

Torkwrench, did the '55 fit with out any rearching?

19. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I have a 1933 Chevy 5 window. I bought a shrinker/stretcher, and just replaced all the wood with formed steel. I bent some 18 gage angle and formed it to fit were the wood went. I also rolled some 1" square tubing for supports. I chopped it 2-5/8" and that is were I'm at now. I bought the car in 1992 shit that was 20 years ago:eek:

20. Slimmey

Slimmey

Time to drag it back out and get started again. Everybody thinks mine is a Ford until I point it out.
    I like them both, but I like to be outside the norm. Good luck, nice start.

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A friend of mine who has a 33 Chevy Mercury Series coupe, recommended using a 55 - 57 Chevy sedan roof because it has the right crown to it. That is what he used back in the mid 60's, when he built his 33.

It fit quite well on my 34 Master, too. It was the rear half of the roof that was used, and did not need to be rearched. When I cut the roof off, I took the whole thing, just to be sure that I had the right part of the roof.

Please note that it was a sedan roof....NOT a hardtop roof. The hardtops have the wrong crown to use in 33 - 34 Chevy coupes.

22. Slimmey

Slimmey

I will keep that in mind when I get to the 3-w, just in case the shorter roof makes a difference, thanks.
    Got the roof welded in, decided to flange opening to give her a little extra strength, and less chance of warping. Worked out well, only took 45 min. And didn't warp. 1376624201100.jpg 1376624214707.jpg 1376624226816.jpg

23. Slimmey

Slimmey

Arrrgg!!! Sorry, hate it when that happens.

24. Looks good man. What's the story on the one in your avitar??

25. Slimmey

Slimmey

I will keep that in mind when I get to the 3-w, just in case the shorter roof makes a difference, thanks.
    Got the roof welded in, decided to flange opening to give her a little extra strength, and less chance of warping. Worked out well, only took 45 min. And didn't warp. View attachment 2005936 View attachment 2005937 View attachment 2005938

26. Slimmey

Slimmey

That was my dads. It was the first hotrod I remember as a kid. He sold it in late '63 when we moved to Calif. He always hated selling it, I just wish he was still here to help me build my 3-w. I know he would love it.