Register now to get rid of these ads!

Driving with no plate question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by khead47, Aug 2, 2013.

1. khead47

khead47

I am thinking about buying a vehicle on the East coast. Here in Mi. one does not need plates when bringing home a newly purchased vehicle ( of course you do need insurance). I will be driving through Ohio, PA., and Conn. Anyone know?

2. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

If you are coming through Ct. you better have plates or your toast!!! Cant speak for the other states though. I usually do a screwdriver transfer with some good plates so at least it looks legit.

3. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

Legend has it that you are likely to end up in jail in PA and OH. Not that I have any evidence of that but I do know that we've always watched our Ps and Qs when traveling through those states.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check to see if your state has some sort of temporary tag, or transport tag, on 1, 15, 30-day permit, or what have you.

I am from Connecticut, and as others have mentioned, not tag, and you are probably looking at a huge headache, involving lots of time and money. Other states are probably the same.

5. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

In Conn. your going to need at least a cardboard plate with some kind of documentation or they'll tow it and impound until you can prove it's registered either where it's coming from or going to. In Conn. you can get temp plates, all the fun of regular registration with 10 days before the inspection, and you will need proof of Ins.

6. styline_lee

styline_lee
    from piqua ohio

I got lucky here in Ohio once.I was driving a car we got for parts. It only would go about ten mph...I had to drive it to the next town.at city limits there was a sherriff.I putted on by,and of course he turned around and stopped me.he said he was curious to know my speed and clocked me at 12mph, and asked for my papers and why there was no plate.I explained it was bought for parts and I have no insurance, title, bill of sale,registration,nothing. He ran the vin and said "well, it's not been reported stolen,so the way I see it, I was headed that way and you were headed this way...have a good night and be safe."

I thanked him and said"at 12 mph,how could I not be"!

7. If your driving thru a state that requires two plates and your state requires only one. You are legal. We don't ticket in Texas for folks passing thru with one plate. Very bad for tourism.

8. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Most states have "Law Of Recipricity" Call ahead and ask. Most allow what is legal in your state (Recipricity) if you are passing through. Be sure! Make the call!

9. Holy cow !!
    Yes you need freaking plates.

No matter what or where you need some type of plate.
    Temp tags, POs plate, dealer plate, YOM plate, historical plates, "special" plate city plate, county plate, statey plate, Fictitious plates are not a good idea but its better than Zero plates.

10. khead47

khead47

31 Vicky---no you don't ( at least not here in Mi.)

11. jkeesey

jkeesey

Pretty sure you could get impounded here in PA.

12. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

What state are you buying it in? In my home state of WA, the plate stays with the car, you just sign the pink and your good to go.

13. Be careful. If you use a plate off another car an officer can pull up behind you, scan it and have the make and model in an instant. Here in Arkansa you have a grace period and can get by with proof of insurance and a bill of sale for 30 days (I think). Even so, the absence of a plate is probable cause for a stop. If you are stopped there will be a warrant check and visual inspection of the vehicle. If there is anything wrong with your vehicle or your attitude it will go south in a hurry.

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

A few days ago the cops towed my neighbor's Honda and confiscated the license plates because it had expired tags and they had put their other car's (some Ford POS) valid license plate on it.

The Honda hasn't come back yet and their Ford POS is missing it's license plates.

It all started with a different neighbor calling on their shitty barking dogs, too, a completely unrelated issue... :eek:

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

gET THe registration & register it in your name, your state.

16. phat rat

phat rat

Check if the state you're buying the car in issues an "in transit" tag. I did this when I bought a truck in Az. and drove it back to Mi. You're correct in Mi. the law says you may drive a newly purchased vehicle directly home from point of purchase within three days of purchase without a plate

17. [Q`UOTE=BigAl1961;9112283] I usually do a screwdriver transfer with some good plates so at least it looks legit.[/QUOTE]

Running plates registered to another car will get you in serious trouble in South Carolina,,your better without them. HRP

18. Go ahead and try it...see how that works out for you. ALL states (even Michigan) require some sort of plate, trip permit, or temp tag. Pretty sure Michigan allows you to move a newly purchased car from the location you bought it to your home (most states allow a SMALL window of time), but that does not include driving your new ride through most of the upper midwest. Either get a trip permit before you leave home, or get one at the DMV in the state where you purchase the car. Most of them cost between $20 - $40. Cheap when compared to impound costs and jail time. Your mileage may vary.

19. brad chevy

brad chevy

You are just asking to get stopped with no tag in any state why take the chance,just trailer the thing. You can get in more trouble with the wrong tag then having none at all.

20. chopped

chopped

If you're getting insurance why not tag it also?

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Connecticut, at least when I last lived there, the plate stayed with the owner, and did not go with the car.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

The ticket for misuse of plates is higher than NO PLATES. Bob

23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The cop cars all have onboard computers now. They can find out everything but your grandmother's shoe size in about 30 seconds.

In other words you can't get away with crazy shit the way we used to.

Find out what the rules are in whatever state you are buying in. Unless you can somehow register it in your home state by long distance. Everybody has some kind of temporary permit. Worst case, you can't register it and have to tow it on a tow bar or trailer.

Don't take chances, I have been clipped for a couple of $600 fines and it's not fun.Some places are even worse. The chance of getting caught on a trip like yours is near 100%.

If it wasn't so far I would suggest joining the Auto Club and let them bring it home for free on a tilt n load. But they have a limit of 250 miles.

24. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Absolutely. You're subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which you're in. Register it first, then go pick it up, or bring a trailer.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trailer, yes. Tow bar, no. In most states, if it has wheels on the ground, it has to be registered (even if it is a temp), and insured.

26. See below:

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-48268-179820--F,00.html

Consider also:

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-49534_50300_50309-191968--,00.html

Have your paperwork in order and I doubt you'll have a problem. Don't put on a plate from another car. If caught doing that, you'll be even further up sh!t creek.

27. Well, not in New York, I've towed dozens without an issue, one classic was the Hudson with no motor, trans, or front clip let alone plates.

Bottom line is get a transit tag or you'll get pulled over for sure and who knows what hassle that will be. I hear NJ in particular can be rough and you can't get from CT to PA without crossing NY or NJ or both.

FWIW, I-90 is pretty flat if you want to swing north and drive across NY. Might be better in an unknown car not to push it on hills and grades.

28. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

For the cost of getting at least a temporary tag good for 30 days in most states,I would think it well worth the time and money to do that,also keep in mind that W/O properly having your newly bought vehicle registered with plates or plate,God forbid anything happen in the way of an accident because your insurance Co. would say the policy is not valid , due to (improper license) Just saying !!

29. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Oh yes, and the always ................Ignorance is no excuse to the law !!

30. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Most states will issue you a "transport" license of some kind for these situations for minimal cost and for a very short duration.
    Check with your local DMV.