Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jay's Hot Rod: AV8 Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Junk Hunter, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Looks very good!!!!

2. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

tail lights mounted...
    [​IMG]

'37 Ford w/modified brackets
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. andyg

andyg

where have i been through all of this?????

Looks great Dan!!!

Subscribed!

4. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Time to get back at it...

I finally got my new radiator from Brassworks. 4 row with a 2" drop. Very nice quality but long lead time...I think I waited like 8-9 weeks for it.

Now I'm ready to get the majority of the engine compartment figured out and mocked up.
    -With my H-C magneto mounted, it looks like I'm going to need to move the radiator forward about 1" from stock in order to get the distributor cap off...so I think I'm going to need to fab up some brackets to mount the radiator to the front crossmember.
    -I ordered the correct water pumps today (the ones currently on it are 49-53). Looks like the bottom radiator hoses will line up pretty good with the normal 3/4" or so offset. I got the part number for some offset hoses (Gates #21236) from another thread..I think they will work perfect.
    -I need to find a fan but have do a little research on fan/alternator setups first to see what'll work best. If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to here them.

Lots to do! More soon....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. First off swap out the 59 for a 8ba. Then you wont have to move the radatior.

To go with a single pulley system youll need a generator pulley that mounts the fan to it. Cost 50 at speedway. If youve got a cnc ive got a print to one. Before i found out about speedways i was in the process of making one. Then youll need the 32-39 fan preferably the shortest one.

Glad to see progress jay!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flathead-Alternator-Pulley-with-Fan-Mount,8946.html

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Can't do that. I like the look of the earlier 99A and the front mount dizzy too much. Besides I do everything the hard way. It would make too much sense to move the distributor out of the way of the radiator to a location I can be easily accessed. I actually took an 8BA timing cover off this engine when I mounted the magneto. I don't think moving the radiator forward will be that big of a deal. I'll roll the pickup out as soon as the rain stops here so I can stand back and make sure the grill looks OK pushed forward. If not, I might end up sacrificing the Harmon-Collins magneto and go with a crab style distributor.

7. Were you planning on running a hood? Sides?

8. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I might end up running a hood but definitely no sides...probably neither.

9. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

8ba generator converted to 12v and pulley with fan mount
    36-38 fans are the shortest ,i think

10. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks guys.

The speedway fan mount pulley is made for GM or Powergen alternators. Will it fit an 8BA generator?

Guess I'm looking for a 32-38 fan if anyone has one they want to part with. The Springfield swap meet is in a couple of weeks..probably can find one out there if something doesn't turn up sooner.

11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No, they (generators and alternators) had a fan for a reason. Without one the get way too hot and burn up.

You can't rely on airflow from the rad or from moving.

13. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Well,i am talking from experiance......that might be not good enough for you.

276 with generator and 304 ci with alternator....
    Both dont have "fan pullys" but work flawless since a couple of years and 1000s miles

14. daddio211

daddio211

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Experience wasn't good enough for a guy I knew who claimed he was experienced in welding on containers that had held flammable substances.

He claimed " I have done it this way for 20 years." I refused to do it or be around it. He said I was stupid.

Around a year and a half later when I no longer worked at the shop, he was killed doing what he had done for 20 years.

Not the same thing I know that, the point is that just because you have done it, does not make it right.

If it was there would be numerous OEM examples of generators and alternators with no cooling fans.

16. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

There are examples......nipondenso(spell?) .suzuki swift , diahatsu cuore are cars
    That have the alternators without fans......
    These are the small powerful alternators that everybody likes to use,include me.

Some Bosch alternators have internal fans.some have none

Volkswagen beetle generator has no fan, trabant hasnt either.....

I see you like facts, there are some.

17. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Thanks cadillacoffin. I found an early Ford fan at the Springfield swap a couple of weeks ago and am waiting on an order from speedway for the adapter.

..and if anyone gives a shit....it'll have a cooling fan on the generator.

cadillacoffin likes this.
  18. Got any overall diameter measurements handy on those, maybe one could be hidden in an old generator case, add a pulley with a fan just to be safe...

19. louisb

louisb

Glad I am not the only one who does this. Projects tend to take on a personality of their own for me. Great little truck you have coming together here.

Thanks,

--louis

20. with the fan up high in front of the generator be aware of a potential issue with the upper radiator hoses. I've seen 32 radiators with the outlets at an angle and ones that come out straight. I believe the angled ones are for the early motors like yours, and the straight are for the 8bas.

Any other good finds at the swapmeet?

21. Great truck!
    I like the headlights low like yours!
    We are running tube shocks on our 32 with cut down A model headlight bar. Guide lights interfered with the shock mount tops or I would have dropped them a couple inches lower! I'm thinking next time we go with friction shocks in the front for this very reason...
    Got a set of torpedo shaped 36 Studebaker (Dictator ?) lights for our 34 project. They are long in shape and have convex lenses. Tube shocks are probably out of the question on this.

22. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

The outlets on my radiator some out straight..should be no problem with hose clearance...I hope.
    [​IMG]

23. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Didn't find much else at the swap meet...but I did score a 5" drop axle from Okie Joe at the HAMB drags the next day.

I'm going to trade out the 4" drop Model A axle I have under the truck now...which kind of sucks in a way since we went through the trouble of milling 1/4" off the bosses so it would fit the '32 wishbone...AND I had bungs welded to it for tube shocks that I later decided not to use on this project.

Hoping that I can use the extra 1" of axle drop to keep the rake I've got now after I add some leaves to the front spring to take care of a motor/wishbone clearance issue I've got going on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  24. I had and sold 2 NOS sets of Arrow 775H with markers several years ago.
    If I remember correctly, the lens in the markers were not removable easily and faceted like a cut jewel. You are also right in that there seems to be little info on them and rarely see them.

25. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Yep the markers are faceted. And they also have a little red faceted lens in the rear. I think they are pretty cool...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Finally back at it...

Last weekend I tore my frontend down to get to the bottom of an interference problem I had with my motor/wishbone. I posted this thread about it a while back. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774101

Got got back together with my new 5" drop axle put in and added 3 additional leaves back to the front spring.
    [​IMG]

Problem solved. It sets a little higher up front but has good suspension travel/clearance now.
    [​IMG]

27. olskool34

olskool34

That looks really good!

28. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

I've been trying to get some stuff mocked up around the motor.

A while back I bought a Harmon-Collins magneto. That thing really hogs the space up front so I wasn't sure if I wanted to use the mag or just use a crab style distributor. In the end, I decided to mock it up around the mag so I would have the room for it either way I decided to go. With that decision made, I was able to finalize the location of the radiator. I had to move the radiator about 1-1/2" forward from stock in order to have room to get the cap off the mag...so I made some mounting brackets and got the radiator mounted.

With the radiator mounted, I started thinking about the fan. Here's a little something I posted about it: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=836891 The magneto kind of complicates fan setup too. I want to run the fan off the generator pulley so I'm currently trying to come up with the best combination of generator pulley, fan hub length, and blade diameter. I either need to find a generator with a double pulley to fill in the space between the pulley and fan mount as shown in the pic below, or I need to find a different fan with a longer hub and cut it down to work with my radiator location...this will probably depend on which parts I happen to find first.

[​IMG]

29. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

Bob Drake had headers on sale last week for $70...How could I say no to that?

The flattie is starting to look like something...
    [​IMG]

A little rework required around the F1 box. Gonna be tight back there when it's all done...
    [​IMG]