Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil? Oil Filter? 1953 Pontiac I8 1954 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bab59, Apr 18, 2011.

1. bab59

bab59

Going to pick up 2 cars tonight. 1953 Pontiac Inline 8 with 88k And a 1954 New Yorker Hemi 331 with 91k. The Pontiac does not have a oil filter.
    The Hemi Should.Correct?
    What kind of oil and weight recomendation for both?

Brad Penn 10w30 for high zinc?

Does it have to be a non-detergent for the Pontiac?
    What do I need to do for the Pontiac oil system? Mainly will be used for weekend and 1-2 hour road trips.

2. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

The Hemi should have a cartridge filter. I would run a good oil like the Brad Penn or a straight 30. You should be able to adapt a filter to the Pontiac. Even new cars don't filter the oil over 2500 3000 rpm as the pressure relief valve opens.

3. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

Straight 8 Pontiacs had a patented, non-throw-away filter in the oil pan that swirled the oil and changed directions so the particles dropped into a bowl. It was supposed to be very effective. You might want to drop the pan and clean it out before running it much. I don't think the block had any provision for an external oil filter as the oil lines were cast into the block.

4. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

The pressure relief is usually in the pump and returns the bypassed oil to the pan. All of the oil that is pumped through the engine goes through the filter first.

5. George

George

Where your buying the Hemi car, put Hemi tech index in search & start reading! Both engines need zinc. The hemi can be converted to spin on.

6. bab59

bab59

Thanks so far.
    Need non-Detergent oil for Pontiac? What weight?

10w30 High Zinc Hemi?

7. rld14

rld14

I run ZDDP and at least 15W40, 10W30 is too thin IMO to run in an older car.

8. bab59

bab59

The pan can be taken off in car? Brad Penn 20w50 too heavy?
    What is a wix conversion spin on number for 54 hemi? Kit and filter?

9. mlagusis

mlagusis

sorry to hijack...but I have a 62 283 with a canister filter. Should i be running a special oil in that motor like these too?

bab59,
    I thought a read a thread asking which car to get...sounds like you made the right chose and are getting both.

10. bab59

bab59

Regular oils now have about 850 Zinc PPM low zinc for catalytic cars. Brad Penn Valvoline and other racing /off road oils have around 1500 Zinc PPM. Zinc on flat tappet helps wear.

Non-Detergent for Poncho since no filter?

11. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

You shouldn't run nondetergent oil in any 4 stroke engine, in these old cars don't worry too much about oil being too "heavy". The higher levels of zinc in today's specialty oils are really no higher than zinc levels were in standard motor oil of 10 years ago. Zinc reduction has more effect on engines with flat tappets AND fairly high valve spring pressures. These old 1950's stock engines don't have much spring pressure and are really not very fussy at all about what ever you feed em. Old automatic trannys are however. Try to get the right stuff if you need any of that.
    If the Pontiac is the one with the integral filtration system, not all were, it should have a roundish sheet metal cover bolted on the bottom of the oil pan.

12. bab59

bab59

Non detergent oils do not carry dirt though correct?

Detergent oils clean and take dirt and junk to filter?
    HELP

13. rld14

rld14

I run the ZDDP additive, Eastwood sells it. Is it overkill? Maybe. But if I have to rebuild the engine in my Vauxhall it's going to be shitloads of money and aggravation chasing more gold plated unobtainum parts from England, so screw it, it gets the additive.

14. No detergent oil in the Pontiac because it's old, seasoned, and likely full of crap you don't want loose and floating into the oil passages. Cars used SAE 30 for years no problem.

15. bab59

bab59

Well...Will post pictures when they arrive.
    Any other advise?

16. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The Pontiac had a bypass filter as an option. If you find one, be sure to get the special restrictor fitting with the oil lines. You could plumb it for a spin-on with some industrial or dune buggy stuff. LaSalle gives great advice - pull that pan & clean it out. 20/50 Castrol was my favorite oil in high mileage engines for years.

17. George

George

www.hothemiheads.com has adaptors including one that replicates the OEM up angle. Generaly recommended that the bypass check valve be replaced with HH solid blockoff. Wix 51515 is eq to the Fram PH8A Ford, don't know # of the slightly shorter Wix eq of the fram PH43 Mopar filter.

18. bab59

bab59

AnyBody running a straight 8?

19. Dirtsniffer

Dirtsniffer

I am running a straight 8. My dad said to always use 30 weight

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

10W30 multigrade, detergent oil was first made in 1951. It was the default choice at all garages, dealerships and parts stores up to the late 70s. Chances are your 1950 - 1970s car has never used anything else.

The Chrysler has a full flow, cartridge type oil filter. It works as well as any new car's filter. It should be changed every 5000 miles. New cartridges are available, at least they were a few years ago. Try your local NAPA store. It may take a few days but they can get them. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the filter housing so you can drain it at oil change time, and at filter change time. Drain off the old oil, take the top off the filter, pull out the cartridge, wipe out the housing, put in the new filter, and put back the top and the plug.

The Pontiac has an internal filter as others have pointed out. It is supposed to be cleaned at engine rebuild time. If you can take the pan off and clean it out, that would be all to the good.

21. schoondog

schoondog

I have this exact question as I just bought the car and don't know how long since last oil change. My 53 Pontiac has the bypass filter located on the Right inner fender by the radiator. Should I pull the filter from here and change it? And when I pull the plug on the pan will it drain the filter housing as well?

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the filter housing. The filter should be changed every 5000 miles or every second oil change. If it gets hot when the engine is running it is not clogged up. If you just got the car and do not know when it was changed, you could put in a new one for a fresh start.

23. schoondog

schoondog

I couldn't find a plug under the housing. All I did find on the bottom was the line that runs to the filler neck. I used a small oil pump that I had bought for the 90 weight gear oil bottles to pump the old oil into a bottle and that was able to suck 99% out. A shop rag cleaned the rest.

Now onto the brakes. Is it "Normal" for the brake pedal to travel to within 3 inches of the floor when braking? It pulled to one side originally but has since evened out and I attribute that to it sitting too long and getting rust on the drums. But still pedal is going quite a ways down before engaging brakes.

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Your brakes are due for adjustment. They did not have self adjusting brakes back then, they have to be manually adjusted when they wear down.

25. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Hot heads Chrysler parts has four oil filter adapters, my favorite is the vertical one that is changed from under the car, $71.00.

26. schoondog

schoondog

Thank you! I was able to get them adjusted with an old bent screwdriver now they work perfectly! And yesterday pulled my first trophy! 3rd place 50's class. :)

27. stimpy

stimpy

buy a set of cheap brake spoons to make it easier on yourself