Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide from Vega, same inside??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheTumbleweeds, Jul 30, 2013.

1. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Hi Guys!

I wonder if I can build on one of these aircooled powerglides from Chevrolet vega?

I have heard that they have different ratio, but I need to know if I buy Heavy duty stuff, will it fit like the other ones ??

Then that bellhousing boltpattern, fits chevy and BOP?
    There was an old note on it, saying superturbo something something...
    No fittings for oil lines..
    Not my picture, but that kind of Powerglide;

[​IMG]

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

'Glides do not come with holes in the bellhousing, and the Vegas used a shorter tailshaft housing

3. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

Don't waste your time or money on that transmission. It only bolts to a Vega engine and the case is not very strong with them big holes in it.

Elwood

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Gee, that's odd because the 'glide we took out of my Son's '66 Nova was air cooled and had holes in the bell housing!
    There were no cooling lines and the radiator had no fittings for cooling lines.
    KK

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The internals would be the same as far as O/H kit you can buy one of the JW super bells and cut off the bellhousing and install it then you will have a SFI bellhousing.

6. 5559

from tn

kk's answer x 2

7. 5559

from tn

k k 's answer x 2 for early chevy 2s

8. montyl

montyl
    from UT

Sorry,air cooled power glides were available in Novas aswell as Vegas and fit any first gen small block chevy. the holes are factory. They are not the best tranny but probably good for 300 hp?

There were two primary types or versions of the Power Glide. The Power Glide transmission introduced in 1950 had a cast iron case and is known as the "Cast Iron Power Glide". The "Cast Iron Power Glide" was used until 1963, when it was revamped as "Aluminum Power Glide" where its case and several of its other parts were made of aluminum. The Aluminum Powerglide was used from 1962 until it was replaced with the Turbo-hydramatic series of transmission in 1973. The Aluminum Power Glide is still used today as a racing transmission of choice by many racers mainly for the fact that it only shifts once, and for its extreme durability. It is also possible to purchase all the parts needed to build an Aluminum Power Glide from scratch from most racing parts vendors

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The powerglide came with a 1.82 or a 1.76 to 1 ratio the 1.76 for heavy duty you would want to have a 65 or newer that would have the roller sun gear thrust bearing.
    The input shafts on the 327 and big blocks were harden shafts and better.
    I would not build one without the harden high gear clutch hub.

10. i've always preferred 1.82 low everthing is available from hd cases, bellhousings. wider bands and drums, input shafts for 350 turbo torque converter,if you plan use it in a street car your better off with a 3 or 4 speed, saying this i ran a power glide with a vega torque in my tow car a 65 327 chevelle that ran 13.0's in the quarter

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Vega had its own unique bell housing pattern.

12. If you get a glide from say a 67 68 Camaro...might be a better starting point, or see what builders offer them at an outright price, might not be worth your time, chasing parts etc

13. Some of the early aluminum PGs used behind the 4 cyl Vegas and Novas were actually referred to as a "TorqueDrive". They had a simplified valve body and did not upshift automatically. You started out in low range and then manually upshifted to Drive, or high range.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You can cut the stock "bell housing" off and replace it with one to fit whatever engine you want to use from the aftermarket; there a a couple of suppliers, and they are SFI certified. Most everything else that's been said is true. Internal parts are basically the same, but you can't mix-and-match 1.82/1.76 parts (input shaft lengths are different just for starters). Use a billet/steel direct hub, not the stock cast iron one. Your trans will have the 1.82 low gear planetary, which is fine for the street and lower HP drag cars. Tons of aftermarket parts are available. Best thing to do is get a copy of Carl Munroe's (RIP) book, "Powerglide Performance Handbook", by HP Books; you'll learn more about the Powerglide than you ever wanted to know. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Torque Drive was only available in 69-70, and only in Nova's and Camaro's with the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

how do you mean, cut of bellhousing??.....?

seems like I should bought another glide..

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You make a vertical cut just behind the pump face and save the pan rail.

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The bellhousing is cut off so the front of the pump is used to bolt the "new" bellhousing to. An SFI certified bellhousing will cost far more than another, V-8 flanged (or late style 6) Powerglide would. A drag racer that has an SFI bellhousing already might be interested in your trans to build as a back-up. I usually get "core" type Powerglides for free, or will pay up to $50.00 for a good, CLEAN one (they are usually caked in grime). It seems the price of aluminum Powerglides is skyrocketing however; they have't been made since 1973 (last year they were used), and they are not as easy to find. I always have a few on hand, currently four. Find another Powerglide, or just a good case; the rest of your parts will swap in. Butch/56sedandelivery. I see you're in Sweden, they are probably impossible to find there; try that auction site we all know and love for a good case.

19. I've only seen maybe two of the 4 cyl. Novas with the Torque Drive. Never considered that they put them behind some of the early 6 cylinder Camaros. Online there seems to be some confusion as to whether the Torque Drive made it into production in the Vega or not. But years ago a coworker had one in her 71 Vega. At that time I had to ask her why she insisted on manually shifting the thing with an automatic trans. She said if she didn't it would never go into high gear and she'd ownwd the vehicle since new.

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You planning on using this in your dragster?

21. pg bellhousing adapter $ 359.00 on 'bay

Attached Files:

22. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

I did take the torque converter out of my 72(?) vega (turbo?, not powerglide) in 1979 and put it in my 70 camaro with a turbo 400. That and a 3 quart larger pan from a P30 cube van, and a B&M shift kit. I followed an article out of Car Craft on cheap upgrades. The little torque converter held up fine, but then again, I was probably pushing 300 horsepower and maybe that was wishfull thinking. Squealed the tires going into second. Whoo hoo...

23. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

Yeah.....
    Hoped so..

24. brandon

brandon

ultra bell....then it can fit anything...literally

those vega glide convertors work great behind a straight 6 ...:D ran one in my 66 chevy II with a 250. little more stall than the stocker ...lol

25. those air cooled glides also came in Chevelles (and Pontiac Tempests) with the 194 cu. in, engines....great trannies for drivers.

26. brandon

brandon

think 62-66/7 ish...? on air cooled

27. mustangsix

mustangsix

Maybe I've missed the point, but I just have to ask, what's the point of building a Powerglide for any street driven car these days, except for a restoration?

And why the fascination with air cooling? It seems to me that a trans cooler is no big deal. :confused:

28. cavman

cavman

I have saved one of them air cooled 'glides for years, rescued it from a 307" powered '69 Nova. Don't know if I'll ever use it.
    I did run an alum. 'glide for a long time in one of my Nomads, it came from a 409" powered Chev. I was told they, along with any BB 'glides, had more clutch plates. Never did find out for sure.

29. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

This is a dualpattern bellhousing (maybe a replacement tranny?)
    Chevelles also?

This is for my front engine dragster, and less parts is better.
    Then it has a different ratio, i´ve heard..

30. TheTumbleweeds

TheTumbleweeds
    from Sweden

I like the looks of it, and found one really cheap.
    Im trying to make race of it.

cheers