Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many threads should be showing on a lugnut?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Jul 31, 2013.

1. evintho

evintho

Basic question. The wheels are torqued down and barely two threads are showing. Is that enough?

[​IMG]

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks ok to me. As long as all threads are engaged (bolt extends the full length of the nut) you have full strength.

I would be more concerned that the wheel is not fully seated and the center hole is not centered on anything.

3. Jimm56

Jimm56

Is there a spacer in there?

4. belair

belair

All the threads of the bolt are engaged-what else is there?

5. Kramer

Kramer

I'm wondering about a spacer also. It does not look like the wheel is fully seated.

6. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Just enough to get to the chewy center!

7. evintho

evintho

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's got adapters/spacers.

8. 65COMET

65COMET

A bolt,or stud,is only as strong in length as it is in diameter,so as long as the nut has complete contact you are good.I agree with the others though,that spacer/wheel combo looks scary!! JMO , ROY.

9. barstowpo

barstowpo

I was told that maximum clamping force was achieved as long as you had as many threads engaged as the nut is thick. I hope that makes sense.

10. henry29

henry29

Is that wheel hot pink?

11. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

sure doesn't look safe to me either :eek:

12. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

120 - 150 pounds on a touque wrench is safe in my world.

13. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Then again - the wheel should be flush to the hub and drum - is there a spacer in there??

14. evintho

evintho

Nope, it's cherry red. The camera flash makes it look pink!

It can't be flush. That's just the way it works. Standard wheel adapter is 1" thick and bolts to the brake drum. I think it'll be safe.

[​IMG]

15. looks like a cast adapter 2 me, shit can the adapter and replace with a machined if ya really have 2 use 1

16. As long as it's tight your fine,I've run the adapters many times over the years on several different cars. HRP

17. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I hate wheel adaptors......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. That sounds positive !!......I think it'll be safe !!!!! JW

19. 73super

73super

It's fine... don't let 'em scare you!

20. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

In 1969, NHRA had a rule that one complete thread should be visible at the end of the nut. ( I haven't read the book since)

21. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Sure it can be done... IF the adapter is made with a stepped bore where the i.d. matches the the axle boss, and the o.d. of the adapter hub matches your wheel. It's very doable.

22. No fucking way I'd run any adapter without it having a centering hub.
    They seem to Might work fine for 9 out of 10 guys but I wouldn't do it.
    The wheel studs aren't designed to be loaded in sheer.

The spacers with a counter bore to accept the wheel hub centering and a corresponding lip to provide a hub for the wheel are light years ahead. They cost a few bucks more but they do everything a spacer is "supposed" to do.

23. Your thread is enough for a lug nut thread,,we really don't need another thread about lugs nuts,,,:D

Now pictures of lug nuts..that's another thing.:eek::D:rolleyes:;). HRP

[​IMG]

24. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

The problem won't be the length of the lug bolts. The problem is that spacer you have. Throw those junk spacers in the scrap pile and get some good quality hub centric spacers.

25. This is the style spacer you want

Attached Files:

26. oldolds

oldolds

NHRA rules, no adapters, lug studs must protrude thru the lug nut at least the thickness of the stud. That being said you should be ok. I would rather the machined adaptes, but those are traditional.

27. genosslk

genosslk

Get rid of that spacer NOW! I'm sure you have it in there to solve a clearance problem but you are dealing with a failure at some point. When that failure happens..... and it will..... and you will have guys on here say they are safe but it breaking will cause at lease some damage but can cause a horrible accident. I lost a good car buddy to these spacers as it broke in a hard corner and the car rolled.

Either have the rear end lengthened or get a different offset wheel to solve the clearance problem.

Don't trust these spacers!

my 2 cents......

28. When I was using the older style adapters the new high tech spacers with a lip were not even thought of.

Personally, I have the knowledge and access to the equipment where I can modify the hubs and not use spacers of any type,,it's all a matter of preference,,where you agree or not there are a lot of cars out there with the old type adapters. HRP

29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I would think that is too much torque, depending on the stud thickness and grade. 7/16"-20 grade (5) is 60 ft lbs. grade (8) is 95ft lbs. and 1/2"-20 is grade (5) is 95 ft. lbs. grade (8) 140 ft lbs.