Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moser Heads Info Inquiry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cat & Mouse, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Cat & Mouse

Cat & Mouse
    from Alaska

Does anyone have information on the history of Moser's DOHC Small Block Chevy Heads?

The Moser heads were a masterpiece of engineering and a visual work of art (pre CNC machining) that never got their just due under the circumstances. I can' t help but think that with C-N-C machining just on the horizon some "kick ass heads" could have launched Moser Engine Corp. into a new aftermarket automotive frontier in those days.

Unfortunately, there is not much history available documenting the few number of Moser heads (or head sets) cast. The number of finished headsets that made their way into the public. Or if there were any (do it your-self head set kits) successfully installed . I am only aware of FOUR motors with Moser heads: The engine Moser built for the Indy race. The engine Moser Engine Corp. built for me. The Moser engine Tom McMullen had in his 32 Ford roadster and the Moser engine that is in the Tamale Wagon sprint car. Moser Engine Corp. built my complete motor. I assume Moser Engine Corp. built Tom McMullen's motor. I don't know who built the Tamale Wagon motor. Also, I am not aware of any do it yourself Moser head kits that were sold or that exist today. If anyone is aware or has information concerning the Moser heads, it would be great if they would post their information.

2. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Post a bunch of pics of that bad boy. It sounds interesting!

3. MilesM

MilesM

Is yours in a 62 XK-E?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Try harvey crane .com MOSER ENGINE.

5. chase knight

chase knight

Paul Vanderley had a Moser V8 and a 4 cyl. version in drag racing. Pat Santillo had a few for his Indy Cars. Is the Tamale Wagon the one in the Justice Brothers museum? One of the sprint car engines was first run in Dave Generous' dragster (I'm sure, cause I drove it). Harvey should have additional info. Chase

6. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

caseywheels likes this.
  7. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I have never heard of the Moser V8 dual overhead cam engine... Thanks for the article.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I believe the current owner of the McMullen '32 has as set, not sure if they are ones that were on the car originally or not.

9. Cat & Mouse

Cat & Mouse
    from Alaska

Sorry for the late reply, had posted once, but it didn't seem to have gone through, yes my Moser is in the XK-E. Thank you for the website on Crane, I had ran across it before. As to the discussion on the amount of heads, the facts change depending on where you pull the information it seems.
    Chase, thank you for your information, I believe the Tamale I have information on was the 4th such. I posted in my albums the info I have on it. I have posted other pictures as well in the album. There is a write up in about my car the album as well.

10. chase knight

chase knight

Richard has a new website up at richardmoser.com. Lots of interesting info and images. Regards, Chase

11. Cat & Mouse

Cat & Mouse
    from Alaska

Chase
    Thanks for the update on Richard's website. That is a great picture of you in the Moser powered slingshot.
    I am trying to assemble a collage of pictures documenting the various Moser engines in motorsports. Richards updated site is extremely helpful.

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Moser heads were long on coolness factor, but it was said at the time that factory pushrod heads could be modified to outperform them. That and cost kept them from ever being too popular. In the '70s I was offered a set of Moser heads and some cash for a few 215 Buick parts I had. I thought they were interesting, but no one I knew would want them, so I didn't take them.:rolleyes:

I worked for a shop that adapted a Moser head to a Pontiac Iron Duke block. It was done for a late '80s GTO conceot car. The 4-cylinder Pontiac had the same bore spacing as a Chevy SB. Pontiac cast a couple of their heavy duty race blocks with extra thick decks and no holes or water passages. That allowed positioning bolt holes and passages where they needed to be for the Moser head. Parts of the Moser cam drive hardware were used and other pieces were made. It was turbocharged and had EFI. The intake manifold was fabricated steel tubing with an aluminum plenum. The exhaust was fabricated steel tubing. Machined aluminum "GTO" plates were made that covered the MOSER name on the cam covers. They looked like they belonged there.

The only set of heads that could be found were several thousand 1980's dollars, and they were corroded well beyond use. LARGE areas had to milled away, welded back with good metal, then remachined. For insurance the resurrected casting was resin impregnated. The car was evaluated, photographed, and displayed at some shows. At the GM Provong Grounds in Milford, MI automotive writers were allowed to drive the car. It is standard practice for these kinds of cars to have a fire extinguisher. This one did, but for appearance sake it was removed for the press event. While being driven on the test track a fuel leak developed toward the rear of the car. I never saw how badly it was toasted, I do know it was bad, and it was not repaired.

The unused head was incorporated into a non-running display engine that was exhibited with the car at shows and events. It looked nearly identical toi the engine in the car. The cam drive for that engine was totally fabricated and looked functional, but it wasn't.

13. redcars

redcars

I have the Moser engine that was in the #2 McMullen roadster.

14. David Crane

David Crane
    from Arden,NC

Harvey Crane died 5/31/2013. My family currently has 22 bare Moser heads and 100's of related parts. Don't get too excited some of the heads have porosity problems.

15. JohnMilner

JohnMilner
    from California

I am sorry about the passing of Mr. Crane. May he rest in peace.

5window likes this.
  16. Couldn´t someone 3d scan these heads and recreate them using CNC equipment?
    Seems like the idea is sound, even if the production wasn´t really up to it. Pity to let it go to waste.

17. Cat & Mouse

Cat & Mouse
    from Alaska

Sorry to hear of your loss Dave; my condolences to the Crane family- Rick

18. Mojo

Mojo

I just bought a magazine (Street Machine March '77) with a really nice article in it about the motor. I've always been interested in DOHC chevy's, and i'd like to see more about the Moser heads.

Here's a link to my photobucket folder with a scanned Street Machine article, and different pics i've found on the internet.

Moser DOHC pictures.

19. Mojo

Mojo

With all the modern software stress analysis, I imagine any shortcomings could be sorted out fairly easily too.

20. chase knight

chase knight

Wanted to let you all know that Richard Moser passed away last night. I had dinner with him a month ago, and he was his usual jovial self. R.I.P. Richard Thanks for the memories, Chase

21. Sad to hear,loss of another icon.

22. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Wanted to let you all know that Richard Moser passed away last night. I had dinner with him a month ago, and he was his usual jovial self. R.I.P. Richard Thanks for the memories, Chase
    Hi Chase...long time no talk. Hope you are well. RIP Harvey and Richard! g

23. RJ Bob Lee

RJ Bob Lee

Do you still have the Moser heads, I would like to resurrect the Project with Modern CNC Technology... do you have any Idea who owns them...legalities

5window likes this.